A word of warning to new comers

Options

Replies

• KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    eat back your work out calories??? hell Ican hardly eat more than the minum of 1200. Im directed by my Dr. to eat a minum of 1400. I just cant do it, I contue to try. E.D.s really fk you up. You never know if you are getting information from someone like me, who has an E.D or someone who actually eats healthy. I think before I would accept any advice I would check out their food diary see where it is? Better yet, listen to your dr. and formaly educated folks.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    While I agree that people need to be careful on here of bad information, I think it would be much more helpful for you to write a post about what you've learned from the experts and what is working for you instead of just saying, "watch out." For people just starting out, it's not easy to tell what is good and bad information. The media makes weight loss sound so incredibly difficult and expensive, when, while difficult, it's not as hard as people think and definitely doesn't have to be expensive.

Otherwise, I agree with this post's message to be wary of poor information.

He cannot post what you should be weary of or what you 'should be doing' because then he would be one of the people giving advice without having proper credentials to do so. Weight loss is incredibly difficult. It takes a ton of mental strength and will power to undo all the bad/unhealthy habits we have become accustomed to.

OP- Kudos to you! People can be incredibly mean, sarcastic, rude and just downright ignorant on these forums and for what purpose? ( eh hem coughsourgirlcough eh hem) I've found a great group of supportive friends on here. :flowerforyou:

I lost 42 lbs before I got pregnant, so I am quite familiar with what it takes to lose weight, and people DO make it much harder than it is especially in the beginning (see follow up comment above). You, as well as the people above me seem to be completely misreading what I wrote and assuming that I said that weight loss is easy. I said the exact opposite. My comment is simply that cryptic "be wary" messages like this don't really help much if you don't share what you know or try to help clarify what you mean by "bad" information. For people just starting out, it's not clear what is good or bad information, and not everyone has access to a dietician, doctor, etc. Plus, you all seem to forget that doctors don't have much training in nutrition. I've had doctors tell me some absurd things (or try to put me on weight loss drugs) before. Not all doctors are qualified to give good nutritional information. Think for yourself. There is outstanding information out there if you just put in a little brainpower and legwork to find it.

Furthermore, if we all had to be M.D.'s to share information on here, there would be absolutely no one helping anyone on here. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here who have a passion for learning about nutrition and fitness and are a wealth of good up-to-date knowledge. You're basically saying that none of them are qualified to offer advice, however good, because they didn't go to med school or get trained as a dietitian which is silly. Take the information as it is presented to you, study for yourself the merits of that information, and don't just assume because someone has credentials that they're right.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump for noobs
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - make sure you are consulting with a Registered Dietitian, not someone who calls him or herself a nutritionist. To say you are a "nutritionist" requires no credentials.
    I am having my cards printed up tomorrow...lol
    Bobby Clerici
    Nutritionist / Bail Bondsman

Can you fix my lawnmower? And do my taxes, too? :tongue:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is interested in safe consistent weight loss is welcome to friend me. If you're one of those people who think eating below your BMR is safe and extreme weight loss is sustainable then I'm not really going to be a great friend for you. I get all of my advice from my MD. a nutritionist, and the Mayo Clinic. I'm always looking to make friends to support and to be supported.

I am curious to know if you consider my loss 'extreme' as you mentioned above. I don't think losing alot is extreme, I think it's the speed in which you do it or HOW you do it. I personally just changed the way I ate, and I started exercising. I even cheat 1-2 days a week (so I go more weekly cals, then daily cals) anyways, it has taken me 15 months and I personally don't feel it's extreme.

I would say your weight loss is healthy and steady. It's an average of 5.6 lbs a month and "healthy" is 1-2lbs per week. I don't think he was implying if you have lost a lot of weight it's extreme. I think the OP meant that if you're eating ridiculously low in calories and working out like a maniac and taking XYZ diet pills. BTW Congrats on your success so far! Doing great!

In response to the OP, I use this site along with consulting with my doctor and a registered dietician (just started seeing the dietician 5 weeks ago after being stuck on a plateau for 6 months). I agree. Some of the advice is awesome while some isn't. That's why people should consult with their doctor, dietician, etc before taking the advice of someone on a public forum especially if they are unsure about it.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Not all doctors are qualified to give good nutritional information.

^ AGREE. I took my food diary (with calories etc), exercise and he didn't even look!!
    Just said - "This is what we give people who are overweight" and prescribed Orlistat. I was fuming and it went straight in the bin.

I want REAL advice not a quick fix. (but if other people want to take it then that's fine for them, not trying to make a judgement on others just how useless my doctor was!)
  • HeyHeyLynn
    HeyHeyLynn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Common sense is key in advice about weight loss. Do your homework; read widely from reliable sources; make good choices about any advice and about food. Enough said.
  • VelociMama
    Options

^ AGREE. I took my food diary (with calories etc), exercise and he didn't even look!!
    Just said - "This is what we give people who are overweight" and prescribed Orlistat. I was fuming and it went straight in the bin.

I want REAL advice not a quick fix. (but if other people want to take it then that's fine for them, not trying to make a judgement on others just how useless my doctor was!)

Yup. I had a doctor tell me to stop eating all carbs (yes, ALL CARBS), eat 6 meals per day, and start taking stimulant OTC weight loss drugs. I have a fairly severe congenital heart condition. No thanks!
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    To the OP....This is a great post and I understand what you are saying completely! I find it kinda comical the various paths taken depending on who is reading the posts and how they are understanding them!

I ask my MFP friends advice alot...and then I do double check that information. I take all advice given with a grain of salt until I can get/find out verifiable information to either back the advice up or squash it completely!

Weight loss, exercise, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle that fits each individual takes some education, a lot of dedication and more than a pound of common sense.

I wish everyone here great success on their journey! And, feel free to friend me (with a message) if you are in need/want of positive feedback and support!
  • cyndarella13
    cyndarella13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and so far I love the site....BUT it is confusing for me to figure out my numbers.I understand the need for a deficit and from what I've read it is calculated in my my calories, and I keep reading over and over to eat your exercise calories.This puts me at 1700 or so and it seems like too much and I am seeing a lot of posters complain that they are not losing on that many.I'm so confused.Would someone please help me :) ? ( I have read the sticky posts for newbies and I am still confused)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Absolutely. My sister's doctor told her "if you don't exercise, eat 800 calories a day. if you do, eat 1200." She looks at my diary and is like.. "holy crap how are you still losing weight eating 1800+ calories a day?" hm... I workout hard. I eat good nutritious food probably 75% of the time (yes i like chocolate, sue me LOL). I am thankful to have a doctor and dietician who don't believe in fad diets or pills to lose weight.
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Yup. I had a doctor tell me to stop eating all carbs (yes, ALL CARBS), eat 6 meals per day, and start taking stimulant OTC weight loss drugs. I have a fairly severe congenital heart condition. No thanks!

^^This is why I love my doctor. He is hard-core. He looked at my glucose meter printout and my MFP printout, made sure that I wasn't eating in an unsustainable way (ie: 1 lettuce leaf and 1 can of tuna a day), and pronounced me good to go. He is not a pill-pusher.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I agree, good post:drinker: :drinker:
    This is a great place to meet people, get motivated and feel supported. This is unfortunately also a great place to get a wide range of advice from people who are not necessarily nutritionists. I've seen great advise and I've seen some not so great advice. I've also seen dangerous advice. Reach out, get opinions, get motivated, but run any dietary decisions by your MD a licensed nutritionist. Not all weight loss is safe weight loss.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    While I agree that people need to be careful on here of bad information, I think it would be much more helpful for you to write a post about what you've learned from the experts and what is working for you instead of just saying, "watch out." For people just starting out, it's not easy to tell what is good and bad information. The media makes weight loss sound so incredibly difficult and expensive, when, while difficult, it's not as hard as people think and definitely doesn't have to be expensive.

Otherwise, I agree with this post's message to be wary of poor information.

He cannot post what you should be weary of or what you 'should be doing' because then he would be one of the people giving advice without having proper credentials to do so. Weight loss is incredibly difficult. It takes a ton of mental strength and will power to undo all the bad/unhealthy habits we have become accustomed to.

OP- Kudos to you! People can be incredibly mean, sarcastic, rude and just downright ignorant on these forums and for what purpose? ( eh hem coughsourgirlcough eh hem) I've found a great group of supportive friends on here. :flowerforyou:

I lost 42 lbs before I got pregnant, so I am quite familiar with what it takes to lose weight, and people DO make it much harder than it is especially in the beginning (see follow up comment above). You, as well as the people above me seem to be completely misreading what I wrote and assuming that I said that weight loss is easy. I said the exact opposite. My comment is simply that cryptic "be wary" messages like this don't really help much if you don't share what you know or try to help clarify what you mean by "bad" information. For people just starting out, it's not clear what is good or bad information, and not everyone has access to a dietician, doctor, etc. Plus, you all seem to forget that doctors don't have much training in nutrition. I've had doctors tell me some absurd things (or try to put me on weight loss drugs) before. Not all doctors are qualified to give good nutritional information. Think for yourself. There is outstanding information out there if you just put in a little brainpower and legwork to find it.

Furthermore, if we all had to be M.D.'s to share information on here, there would be absolutely no one helping anyone on here. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here who have a passion for learning about nutrition and fitness and are a wealth of good up-to-date knowledge. You're basically saying that none of them are qualified to offer advice, however good, because they didn't go to med school or get trained as a dietitian which is silly. Take the information as it is presented to you, study for yourself the merits of that information, and don't just assume because someone has credentials that they're right.

I didn't misunderstand your post, I knew what you meant about it being marketed improperly and being made to look easy. I was not saying that someone who is educated on nutrition/ fitness should not lend advice. My point was more about him posting any advice that he had learned from the experts because then he would just be another person posting what he learned and what worked for him which may not be good advice for other people, OR he will be attacked by those who don't necessarily agree with what he has learned from the experts. He was just making newbies aware that there is a huge difference of opinion in here sprinkled with good advice and bad. That's all. I didn't mean to offend you by any means. I thought he had a great original post because of some of the advice and mean feedback I have seen on here. Again, my apologies if I offended you. :flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Just follow the MFP settings for you age, weight etc. Every one of us has an opinion but you need to fine "your own pace". Sometimes that means research and there is always so many different "theories" and "group studies". I say keep it simple for now, you will do fine with MFP figuring your intake. Yes, it tells you the calories "you've earned exercising" and you can add those back to your intake to keep you at your 1200 or whatever you daily need is. I think it is wise to eat the extra calories myself. But I am no professional. You can try it that way and see what happens. Try things, it is better then being confused, find out for yourself;) denise
    I'm new here and so far I love the site....BUT it is confusing for me to figure out my numbers.I understand the need for a deficit and from what I've read it is calculated in my my calories, and I keep reading over and over to eat your exercise calories.This puts me at 1700 or so and it seems like too much and I am seeing a lot of posters complain that they are not losing on that many.I'm so confused.Would someone please help me :) ? ( I have read the sticky posts for newbies and I am still confused)
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I didn't misunderstand your post, I knew what you meant about it being marketed improperly and being made to look easy. I was not saying that someone who is educated on nutrition/ fitness should not lend advice. My point was more about him posting any advice that he had learned from the experts because then he would just be another person posting what he learned and what worked for him which may not be good advice for other people, OR he will be attacked by those who don't necessarily agree with what he has learned from the experts. He was just making newbies aware that there is a huge difference of opinion in here sprinkled with good advice and bad. That's all. I didn't mean to offend you by any means. I thought he had a great original post because of some of the advice and mean feedback I have seen on here. Again, my apologies if I offended you. :flowerforyou:

No offense at all taken :smile: Just healthy debating here.

I agree with you now that you clarified your meaning.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - make sure you are consulting with a Registered Dietitian, not someone who calls him or herself a nutritionist. To say you are a "nutritionist" requires no credentials.
    I am having my cards printed up tomorrow...lol
    Bobby Clerici
    Nutritionist / Bail Bondsman

Can you fix my lawnmower? And do my taxes, too? :tongue:
    I am REAL good at evading taxes....
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    all the OP was saying is to do your research.. dont take everyones advice here to heart.. "everyone" here is "right" and you will see that in time.

take the advice, with a grain of salt! Talk to your doctor with any REAL questions and use the rest as a friend talkin to you who has no idea! LOL!

Good luck!! the OP seems like a good friend!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yep, what he said.

:smile:
  • EmpressHollie
    EmpressHollie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thank you for that great advise!