Protein Shakes

Options
Good Morning Everyone! Does anyone out there do protein shakes? I'm interested in them because I've heard they can help curb your appetite and burn fat. Anyone have suggestions or advice on this subject?

Replies

• kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    was just looking for the same thing...been a long time for me and I know there are many new products since my last whey protein days. I'm looking for soy or whey protein that doesn't have any, or very little, crap (fillers, fake sugars, thos types of ingredients) and has a high protein count per serving (20g+).
  • Jkawecki
    Jkawecki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Health N Fit Egg Protein. GOod protein, fat free, carb free. Taste isn't the best, but I have had worst.

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 1 OZ. DRY (28 GM) APPROX. 3/4 SCOOP
    Servings Per Container 32

Amount Per
    Serving % Daily
    Value

Calories 100 N/A*

Calories From Fat 0 N/A*

Total Fat 0 Gm N/A*

Saturated Fat 0 Gm N/A*

TRANS FAT 0 Gm N/A*

Cholesterol 0 Mg N/A*

SODIUM (NATURALLY OCCURRING) 295 Mg 12%

Potassium 275 Mg 8%

Total Carbohydrate 0 Gm N/A*

Dietary Fiber 0 Gm N/A*

Sugars 0 Gm N/A*

Protein 24 Gm 48%
  • jafe
    jafe Posts: 1
    Options
    I use a protein shake made with non GMO Soy and am having fantastic results. It's also connected to a 90 day health challenge.
  • waltzie
    waltzie Posts: 12
    Options
    Just spent the day at the health food shop down the street a couple of days ago and asked the same thing. The guy there told me about a new shake for protein (which I always am short of) that is easy to digest and has more of the good things you need in it. It's made from 100% New Zealand protein which he told me is good because they don't allow any chemicals in their crops.

Check out this one online: Harmonized Protein by Proventative.

I tried the chocolate and really liked it and evidently someone else has tried it on here because it was on the list of foods when I added it to my daily food log. In fact if you go there and pull it up like you're adding it to your day there is a link to see all the nutritional values.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    MRM protein is natural and sweetened with Stevia, which I guess is better than splenda and the likes...
    I've never tried it though.

Currently I use Syntrax (no carbs, also sweetened with Stevia) and I love their Vanilla & Cappucino flavors.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Yes...I drink at least one a day. For the powders I use the Bariatric Advantage brand, all flavors. I am addicted to Click espresso protein powder. I also like the Oh Yeah! brand of ready made shakes. They only have 4 carbs and 32 gms of protein.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone! Does anyone out there do protein shakes? I'm interested in them because I've heard they can help curb your appetite and burn fat. Anyone have suggestions or advice on this subject?

They do not burn fat.
    They do help you hit your daily requirement of protein. For lack of a better way to explain it, think of it like adding a chicken breast to your diet. Granted, one may taste better or make you fuller or happier, but from a macronutrient standpoint it will be similar.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They curb your appetite because they are food.
    They don't burn fat because they are food.
    Protein shakes are convenient and often delicious. If you want to have a shake, have a shake and log the calories. Just as if you ate a bowl of cottage cheese or a chicken breast. There is nothing magical about them.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 a day (I'm a vegetarian) but I don't get the pre-made. It's quick and easy to make my own from powders and a lot cheaper. I add fruit to make a smoothy, cocoa powder or peppermint extract or caramel extract or....
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I sometimes like to take dat der Celltech stuff.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    For whatever it's worth, "most" of the successful people on here (you know, the ones that make you say, "Damn! I want to get to that point!) use protein powder. Seems to be a common theme for success. I could be incorrect, but I believe Sidesteal, Taso, and Joe above all use it. I've followed their guidance since I got here and can assure you they are well-versed on the entire topic of fitness.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth, "most" of the successful people on here (you know, the ones that make you say, "Damn! I want to get to that point!) use protein powder. Seems to be a common theme for success. I could be incorrect, but I believe Sidesteal, Taso, and Joe above all use it. I've followed their guidance since I got here and can assure you they are well-versed on the entire topic of fitness.

^^^^ I second this (with the addition of helloitsdan)

Also, do a search through the forums for "shakes" or protein shake recipes....etc...
    last week some awesome recipes were posted.
    I'm working my way through them...a different one each day! So far Blueberry cheesecake flavored is winning.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 1 a day, usually 2, sometimes more. I just use whey, ice, a blender and some combination of milk, juice, fruit, greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have one most every day. They are filling, delicious, great for after workouts... You can mix tons of things with them like fruits and veggies, pb, coffee ect. Yum! I love Designer Whey protein personally.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • satterlm
    satterlm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i like the EAS whey protien, can be cheap at walmart i like the vanilla brand, and i add the torani sugar free hazelnut flavoring to it :)
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I don't because I'm a breast cancer survivor and need to stay away from soy proteins which is in almost all protein shakes. I wish I could because it would be a quick meal replacement!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

They do not burn fat.
    They do help you hit your daily requirement of protein. For lack of a better way to explain it, think of it like adding a chicken breast to your diet. Granted, one may taste better or make you fuller or happier, but from a macronutrient standpoint it will be similar.

I agree with this.

I drink drink protein shakes for any magical fat burn or muscle building properties; I drink them because they are a convenient way of getting protein into me, they taste good, fill me up, and provide a nice alternative to my other protein-rich foods
  • sarrylove
    sarrylove Posts: 88
    Options
    I have been drinking the chocolate shakeology for a few months now and it tastes great. Not only that, but it is all natural and has no artificial flavors or sweeteners and has no preservatives in it. It gives me energy and has also aided in weight loss for me. I use it as a meal replacement and it does keep me full for at least 3 hours. It has also helped curb some of my snacking behavior which was a BIG plus for me!!!