Missing cat comes home

Options

Replies

• LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love a happy ending!
    Take him/her to vet, they tend to drink pond and river water when lost and can pick up some parasites, etc...

I second this. Good idea to get a poop sample checked.

On a related note, when I worked at a shelter, we kept missing pets on our lost and found list for three months, then removed them. We would check our lost and found against the newspaper listings and every pet who came into the shelter, as well as call the owners every few weeks to see if they had found the pet. One family lost their ... it was a toy breed, maybe a Shih Tzu? ... and called every few days, and stopped in the shelter just to double check that he hadn't been brought in once a week.

Five months later, they'd given up, and decided to adopt another dog. They came in and... their dog had JUST been brought in the day before. :heart:

Such a happy reunion... and he went home with them with a brand new microchip in place. :happy:

I LOVE this story! I wish our shelter was so nice. When I called asking about our missing cat, the lady was very snotty and said, "Well, I SUGGEST that IF he comes back you keep him inside." Hello??? He had always been an indoor/outdoor cat, trying to keep him inside was just plain cruel. I've heard other complaints about this shelter so I know it's not just me.

Sounds like yours does a great job.
  • dawnclemons1571
    Options
    Aw that is sooo great!!

My poor moggy is poorly at the moment and I'm struggling to get her to eat anyhting. She's had a few bits of turkey, but that's it. :cry:

I hope your cat is back to full health soon, and mine too :heart:
    Thank you so much. i am sorry to hear about Moggy, I hope she gets well soon. She will be in my prayers.:flowerforyou:
  • dawnclemons1571
    Options
    Awww, so pleased for you! I would be distraught if either of my two wandered off!!

To come back after so long.....clever, clever kittie :smile: :smile: :smile:
    Cats are so smart. I still can't believe he came back. I thought he was gone forever.
  • dawnclemons1571
    Options
    I am sooooo incredibly happy for you! I have 3 indoor cats and I would just be crushed if any of them got out and didn't return home. My oldest got out once and was gone for hours and I FREAKED OUT...I couldn't imagine 2 months. Take her to the vet to make sure she is okay. :flowerforyou:
    Thank you so much. he is going to the vet this afternoon. He is sooooo skinny. When he left he weighed about 19-20lbs (which I know is too much) and now he weighs about 12lbs. I'm just relieved and stunned that he's home and he is never going outside again.:smile:
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great story!
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you. I know what it's like to have a lost pet. Doing a happy dance for ya!!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh - that is amazing!!!!!!!!!!
    <3
    :D
  • dawnclemons1571
    Options
    :smile: I want to thank you everyone for their kind words, stories and advice it really means a lot. :smile:
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I would have been worried sick! :( I'm so glad he made his way home!
  • dawnclemons1571
    Options
    :smile: Now THAT is a great story!! I'm happy that you got your cat back, too. You were very lucky to have someone find him and take care of him and that's what I was hoping for the whole time Oliver was gone but that wasn't the case. We figured out that he had gotten trapped in a storm drain. He has lost half is body weight and is going to the vet Monday morning just to make sure that he is totally okay. I hope that you have Charlie for many more years to come.:smile::flowerforyou:
    What a great story! So glad he came back to you.

Reminds me of my Charlie-cat. A couple years ago he disappeared. He was 13 or so (not sure of exact age, he was a "drop off" we adopted) and was gone for a while. We figured he went off to die somewhere. SIX MONTHS later, my mom came home from the store and said she swore she saw a picture of Charlie in the window. We took a drive over and sure enough, someone had found our Charlie-cat and was trying to find his owner. Since this lovely lady's house is a good 10 miles out of town, having to cross a river, etc. I'm sure our Charlie was snooping in someone's garage & they trapped him and took him up to the preserve and let him go.

Our Charlie is still with us, pushing 16 years old now. We don't expect him to be with us much longer :( He's used up all 9 of his lives and probably has a couple he's borrowed. I am thankful for the time we've had with him.

Enjoy your kitty!
  • dawnclemons1571
    Options
    Oh that's excellent news! Two of my three miscreants are in my profile picture.

I second the suggestion to get kitty checked out by the vet. Also *highly* recommend a microchip if not already done.
    He is going to the vet Monday morning. We are pretty sure that he got stuck in the storm drain on our block and how he survived is beyond me because he has lost half his body weight so I suppose cats really do have 9 lives. By the way, i love the pics of your babies, they are so CUTE!:smile:
  • dawnclemons1571
    Options
    I'm so happy for you. I know what it's like to have a lost pet. Doing a happy dance for ya!!
    Thank you so much!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So glad you have your kitty...you must have missed your friend terribly!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    aww what a nice story. :heart:
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    So, this may very possibly be the best thing I'll read about all day! Thank you for sharing your wonderful news! :happy: SO HAPPY for you both! Big hugs!! :flowerforyou:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i am so happy for you!!!
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a happy ending! I woke up with 2 cats and a small (100 lb) dog who had somehow crept into my bed last night without waking me up.. I would hate to not wake up to any of them..even if I couldn't get up without spending almost 15 minutes wiggling and pushing a soundly sleeping cat and dog off the bed first, I guess that was my morning exercise :laugh:
  • stephaniekit
    Options
    Aww that is so nice! I had a similar thing happen to me with my 1 year old cat although he was only gone a week, it was still horrible though but he came back, skinny and terrified of everything, and also pooping/peeing everywhere.
  • handle123
    handle123 Posts: 62
    Options
    ahhh what a lovely story.. i have 2 house cats and one escaped all night once, i was beside myself with worry as they are very nervous cats, hence house cats. Its an amazing feeling when you get them back.

lovely happy ending :)
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yay! Such a happy story! Yesterday we had a welcome surprise of our own as we found our dog that had run away from doggy daycare after someone negligently left a latch open. I have never been more stressed out in my life than I have been these last few days! It's amazing when you find them again! what a relief!