High protein foods

Options
My step dad was told his protein intake it waaay too low and he was put on a high protein diet. So I am looking for ideas to give him. So far I have mentioned meat, tuna salmon, milk, oatmeal, nuts/seeds etc. I forgot to mention beans and eggs. He will also be using protein powder (Visalus) 3x a day in a shake (12g protein per shake) he isnt replacing meals with the shakes, just using it as a supplement.(The 3 shakes a day = 63 g a day of protein) I'm going to reccomend he asks his dr about the visalus before he starts because he has a bunch of healthy issues.
So other than these, anymore protein ideas?

Replies

• raynaclareee
    Options
    I love fat free cottage cheese (1/2 cup is 80 calories an 11 g protein), greek yogurt (the one I use, Siggis, has 14 g protein for 100 calories). Tofu is also a good source of protein, and silken tofu can easily be added to smoothies!
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    lentils are wonderful with lots of health benefits and lots of fiber and protien!
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and peanut butter (or other nut butters.)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Foods high in protein include dairy products, meat, fish, eggs, soy, beans, lentils and nuts.

Other than these ... Maybe he could snack on some protein bars ???? Premier Nutrition offers 30 grams of Protein per bar, with low sugar and low carbs. It's my number one choice.

Also ... Sushi can have great sources of protein and is a GREAT meal !

Don't forget the " Edamame " ... great protein for a veggie and soooooo easy to eat at home ! Microwave for 3 min in some water .... drain the water and add a little sea salt ... Mmmmmmmmm ! I eat this almost daily and now that I think about it ... I could certainly go for some right now ! Ha !

I wish the very best for you and your father .... just know there are a lot of great sources for protein that taste absolutely delightful !

Enjoy your weekend !
    :flowerforyou:
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've heard consuming too much protein in one sitting is pointless because you pee it all out, how much is too much?
    Also, his dr told him not to drink too much water, maybe for this reason?
  • JohnKoch33441
    Options
    You are doing great with your thinking. Also have him ask the doctor "How much protein is too much" along his journey.

The most obvious one I can think of adding is Chicken, probably the best protein I can recommend. Another is Peanut Butter and nuts in general.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options