Should I go for another run?

Options
Hello,

I had a run this morning- only 20mins alternating between walk/run. I have only been exercising again for a week so am building up slowly.
Anyway have been considering going for another run tonight? Should I? I dont want to do too much today and then not want to do anything tommorrow. I plan on increasing the length of workout each week so should i wait to monday to exercise more? Decisions.

What would you do?
How did you gradually increase workout?
Vi

Replies

• paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Since you've only been getting back into exercising for a week, I would say you should wait. Your body needs time to recover as running is a pretty high impact activity. I've run two days in a row before and my body cursed me for it afterwards. As far as increasing your workout time, if you are talking about mostly running, maybe you'd benefit from a plan like C25K (http://www.c25k.com/) which guides you through and alternates walking/running gradually increasing in time until you can run 5k.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Some people start out with a huge bang only to burn out.
    It's not how hot you are today but how warm to can remain over the full distance.
    Do what you feel like doing, but remember, rest is paramount.
    Over-Training can stifle progress.
    I train hard, and proper recovery means taking rest days. I was suprised to find I came back much stronger.
    So for me at least, it takes a while to get over the damage my training causes - sore muscles, joint inflammation - issues from hard sessions which don't just magically go away when you 'tough it out' and 'man up'.
    Rest is paramount!
    Here are the signs that you might be over-trained: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/overtraining/#axzz21GZ0ROpv
    Remember, proper rest is just as crucial to success as diet and exercise.
    Keep Punching - All Is Possible!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    See how you feel tonight. Don't burn out with the early rush of excitement. Maybe do something different like upper body strength tonight? Pushups, tricep dips, dumbbells if you have them.
  • GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I read this on WEBMD and I hope it helps you a little bit.

Exercise on your time. Health experts say you need at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, but try telling that to your crazy schedule. If you can't do all 30 minutes at once, break exercise sessions up into 10- or 15-minute bursts.

Set realistic goals. Stress "realistic." Increase your workout schedule from two to three days a week, or add 15 minutes to each workout.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I probably would. If you feel okay - not sore or anything, then let 'er rip. Maybe try mixing up your second run a bit by doing some sideways and backwards steps in between trotting? Don't get your heart rate too high though. Keep it to where you can talk, for the most part.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I think I will rest tonight seeing as I still getting back into things and increase my regime length on monday as I planned.
    I might do something lighter like some yoga or weights if I still fancy doing something tonight. Dont want to push myself too hard and give up as a result

GREAT ADVICE!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    With my sedentary lifestyle and random injuries i had to get back to exercising many times after long rest periods. The mistake I sometime did was to start too eagerly with too long workout, too many times a week. I always had better success when I planned smaller goals. When they became part of my routine I increased them in intensity/time/frequency. Don't forget that rest is as important as activity!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling peppy and energetic tonight, how about going for a long walk instead? If your new to running, too much can do a number on you.
  • biznoche
    biznoche Posts: 43
    Options
    Couch to 5k programs are great for beginners, but you have to be careful. I've heard a lot of people complaining of injury. They don't lay out that disclaimer that you need to listen to your body. Or that you shouldn't try to run as fast as you can at first, you should work on endurance first, then speed. Speed causes too much impact, which causes dreaded shin splints...or worse -a stress fracture. But truly they are good to follow if you are smart about it. The intervals you were doing between walking and running is a great idea. I would hold off on tonight's run and see how you feel tomorrow and go from there. I just can't stress enough- if your shins are starting to hurt while you're running or afterwards, ice them and rest them for a few days or a week. When I started, I was uneducated so I just ignored the pain and "sucked it up" until the pain was so debilitating, I couldn't run at all for a month. I wasn't able to run completely pain free for 9 months, and of course my progress in training was extremely slow.
    Good luck!
  • pigeonhugger
    Options
    definately going to try backward running the next time I do go for one. Sounds hilarious
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I had a run this morning- only 20mins alternating between walk/run. I have only been exercising again for a week so am building up slowly.
    Anyway have been considering going for another run tonight? Should I? I dont want to do too much today and then not want to do anything tommorrow. I plan on increasing the length of workout each week so should i wait to monday to exercise more? Decisions.

What would you do?
    How did you gradually increase workout?
    Vi

Wouldn't hurt for you to go for another run tonite. In fact depending on where you are it may be beneficial if you hate the temperature or weather during the early morning or evening. Just be mindful of how your body feels, and listen to it very well.
  • pigeonhugger
    Options
    couch to 5k is the programme that I have started with. Am on week one. Have you done the full programme? Hows it going? I dont know if each weeks jump up too much, wether I should do it more gradually.

also I run barefoot as it encourages a better and more natural technique. I used to run a lot before and have never been injured not even shin splints so am sticking with barefoot running.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I used couch to 5k and loved it.

If you're new to barefoot running in particular, you shouldn't overdo it. It's something even seasoned runners have to ease into.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt run again this soon on, I'm doing the C25K programme, I'm repeating week 3 as the jump to 4 was just a bit to much, dont overdo it, otherwise by the time you get to week 3 or 4 you will really struggle as you will burn out to quickly.

There is no need to do the run twice a day, its designed for beginners, 3 times a week really, stick to it, it works trust me.

I combined mine initially with extra walking and home workouts, I did repeat week 1 as I wanted to be 100% on that before moving up, and I've had to have a couple of breaks of a week each one due to sickness and one as I was far to busy to run.

I now combine it with working at the gym/weights/swimming/walking and whatever else I feel like doing, and I always have a rest day at least every 7 days.
  • Mewcenary
    Mewcenary Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is a question that only your body can answer. How do you feel? If your body is feeling healed and your mind is saying 'RUN!' then that is a good indication.

So, I would ask you: How do you feel?
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Don't increase your weekly mileage or time by any more than 10%. Don't go overboard and suffer an injury.Good luck!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! It was exactly what was on my mind. The primary reason why I would be frustrated and quit exercising in the past, is because I always started out really hard. I would burn 700-1000 calories in the gym every day because it felt so easy and so good, and that would go on for 1-2 weeks. My body hated me. I made no real progress since I failed and started out too hard, and I was just left with inflamed muscles that took a good two months to heal. I am started out slow and steady this time, gradually increasing speed and time, not necessarily focusing on calories burned. I only burned 275 today, but I feel great and am seeing progress after two weeks :) Think I'll go grocery shopping instead of an extra workout tonight.