Burger...do I have to use breadcrumbs and yolk?

Options
DizzyLinds
DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
Hi,

I want to make some turkey burgers tonight preferably low carb. I keep seeing recipes that suggest using breadcrumbs to help bind it together and some saying to use whole egg, egg white or yolk? Will not using breadcrumb work and what part of the egg do I use?

Replies

• isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think you can pretty much put whatever you want in. Skip the bread if you don't want it. Use whatever egg part you want.
    I don't use bread and use a whole egg. I have also been known not to bother with egg. It may fall apart a little easier, but is still tastes great. You could also add cheese as a binder if you want.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Do what it says in that recipe - use 1 egg white. I've made them before and they're decent - add sauces for more flavor.
  • jennm72
    jennm72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I never put anything in mine and they turn out fine.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I personally use neither.

I use Worcestershire sauce and some different seasonings.

Another fast, tasty trick:

Add Worcestershire sauce and 1 packet of dry ranch mix to 1.5lbs of meat and make burgers....Super tasty and quick.
  • Sylkwyrm
    Sylkwyrm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Putting egg in the burgers will help bind them together and the bread crumbs will make for a softer texture. Not putting these items in your burgers your burgers will be just as tasty but they may be more apt to crumble, but that's what a bun is for right? ;) You can also get pre-made turkey burger patties from the grocery store if your burgers aren't coming out as you'd like.
  • hottbutch
    hottbutch Posts: 46
    Options
    I put in an egg and quick oats instead of bread crumbs when I make turkey burgers. I just make them small and with all my flavours and spices, they are delicious!
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't put anything in mine, they do crumble a little more than ground meat but not too bad....I just add salt, pepper and garlic powder....no one complains.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I made it minus breadcrumbs with a whole egg and they were yummy!
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I put some oats and /or oat bran in mine instead of the bread crumbs. Sometimes I add a bit of sweet chilli sauce.
  • funmonkey13
    funmonkey13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make mine in batches using 2-2 1/2 lbs of ground turkey, like 8 cloves of crushed garlic, some scallions or chopped onions, fresh chopped parsley and sage, whatever other seasonings you like (I love pepper) then only about 1/4 cup bread crumbs or you can use brown rice, and a whole egg, plus I add an ounce of grated parmesan gouda. They cook up super yummy on the BBQ and I have never had any problems with them falling apart...if you use a little bit of BBQ sauce when you cook them, they look just like regular burgers...but smell and taste awesome! Good luck...experiment!!!
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i don't use breadcrumbs or eggs for burgers.

just spices and onions/garlic.
  • mulcahya
    mulcahya Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I made turkey burgers with turkey mince, diced onion, chopped parsley, and some seasonings.

Patties formed nicely and easily and didn't need egg or crumbs!
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You can also use panko which is a Japanese breadcrumb, but even if you don't use an egg, I would add something for moisture.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I never used either in mine, just seasonings.

Now for meatloaf, yes, used egg (one whole) and breadcrumbs or other binder. Have not made since been on MFP though.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I put an egg in turkey burgers last night (spinach and feta turkey burgers! they were delicious), and it definitely didn't need it. I might just use a splash of liquid egg whites when I make them next time, just so they don't fall apart.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't put anything in mine besides maybe some spices. They stay together just fine.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I make mine with one whole egg, salsa, seasonings, and half burger and italian sauage. Cooked great and tasted really good.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    You can also use crushed up crackers instead of breadcrumbs. Wholegrain, gluten free, whatever.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid the carbs of bread crumbs (or oats or any other filler) use crushed pork rinds.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I use nothing. I smoosh it together good, then cook it. Cook one side before flipping.

I've no idea how other people are struggling.