Running out of steam- need motivation to keep going

Options
I have been hitting my workouts really hard, wearing a heart rate monitor, watching everything I eat and getting results but...

I'm hitting a road block. I am starting to enjoy my workouts less and less every day. i do all sorts of classes and outside the gym activities (run, bike, indoboard), but find myself wandering around the gym like a newbie.

If this happened to you, please tell me how you got out of your funk. I'd hate to "hate" working out because I really do love it and I do get results.

HELP!!!!

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking consistent rest days?
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    not consistent, but when I don't workout- I feel anxious. Not guilt- anxiety!!!
  • annabellaisme
    annabellaisme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I have a hard time with motivation to go run or do some exercise. I get a playlist going, I have a marathon playlist with over 240 songs and usually they pump me up . Or I know this is pricey, but i'd buy a new shirt or something that makes you feel great and you want to work out in it. I love new shoes because I can't wait to wear them running. :)
    Hope that helps a bit. :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest!
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    rest days are very key to not burnout your cns, make sure you are taking 2-3 rest days a week

in some cases of over training (i use this word very lightly), less exercise is better than more
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    Friends!!! I have some people I walk with and when I feel like I really don't want to do anything they text me about walking. Great to have people with the same goals so we can motivate each other.
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options
    not consistent, but when I don't workout- I feel anxious. Not guilt- anxiety!!!

You need a hobby besides exercising. You are so used to doing something in those time slots, when you're not exercising you have no clue what to do with yourself, hence the anxiety. I would save the grocery shopping for those days when it's your "day off" from exercising, because I don't know about you, but a marathon sprint through Meijer grocery shopping and I am exhausted when I get home!!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    We all run out of steam from time to time. But, I do have a few suggestions. Always take as many days as you need to rest and recover. That way, you'll return to your workouts rested and relaxed and motivated. And, read some inspiring fitness articles and/or books.

You can also do what I do. That is do very short but intense interval workouts twice a week and be done with it. Rest in between or have some healthy walks, whatever you enjoy. Frankly, that burns fat faster and better and speeds up your metabolism where long, drawn out workouts simply fail.
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    all great ideas. Thanks everyone! I definitely need new tunes on my iPod and just bought some new workout clothes which motivate me, too. i think it's time to invest in a personal trainer or small group sessions at my gym, as well.
    THANKS FOR RESPONDING!!!! I feel motivated already :smile: