Chia Seeds

Options

Replies

• jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I got a large bag at GNC for $11.00
    BUMP!

also, where do you buy them, peeps? i looked at my local whole foods today, no dice.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I am consuming 20gm of it a day. 10gm around the morning and 10gm later on today (well that is my aim)

I am consuming chia bran mixed with water. I just consume it so that it swells in my stomach and helps me feel full as I am usually ravenous. I am so pleased to have discovered these! They are working wonders for me :)
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just bought some organic chia seeds yesterday. I just used some in my morning shake. :happy: We'll see what happens.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So far I have had them in various yogurts and overnight oats recipes. I've also added them to vanilla coconut milk with a drop of lemon extract for a tapioca-ish pudding. It might be a placebo, but I do feel much fuller after them. The key is to give them time to sit and absorb the liquid.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Add them after you make your shake and then shake it up again really good. They will turn to a gel if you leave the shake in the fridge for a half hour or so so then less "seed" like.
  • legitlee
    legitlee Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump

I have them but don't really use them until reading these cracking ideas. Thx
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I mix a tablespoon of them into my porridge. I find the chia seeds give plain oats a nice nutty flavour, as well as a slightly different texture.
    They're also good made into a pudding with almond milk and left in the fridge for a couple of hours to gel up a bit.

I've read recommendations to sprinkle them on salad, but haven't tried that yet.
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    I just bought them to make:
    green smoothie: almond milk, spinach, avocado, chia seeds, frozen banana, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract
    chia pudding: 1/4c chia seeds, 3/4c almond milk, 1-2 tsp sugar, 1T cocoa powder
  • najmaperizad
    Options
    I've found stirring them into my smoothie after I put it into my glass is helpful. They do continue to to gel though and if you take to long to drink it you get a rather stiff drink. Best way I've found to add them to my diet is to stir them into my morning oatmeal/ coco wheats & allow to sit for a few minutes. You hardly notice the seeds then.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    put the seeds last into the blender, just before you start blending or pour them through a whole on top of your blender if you can as you blend. That way they don´t clump in the bottom.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I use my chia seeds in refrigerator oatmeal. They are so yummy mixed in to almost anything. I would recommend (if you are using them in a shake) to put them in some almond milk (or what ever fluid you will be using) the night before and put them in the fridge. They will absorb and expand and then you will be able to blend them without clumping. :smile:
  • SweetT415
    SweetT415 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I add them to my homemade granola bars. I have also added them to yogurt and oatmeal.
  • marlopaterson
    Options
    I made chocolate pudding with mine - it tastes like a sweet treat!

2.5 cups chocolate almond milk ( could use vanilla, plain if you prefer)
    2 tbsp. agave
    1/2 cup chia seeds

Put in a lidded jar or container and shake vigorously. Put in the fridge 4 hours or up to overnight, shaking periodically. Delicious sprinkled with cinnamon!

18198566.png
  • typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had terrible luck with them in liquid. But sprinkle on top of some greek yogurt! Much easier to manage.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try adding the chia at the end! :-)
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I got a large bag at GNC for $11.00
    BUMP!

also, where do you buy them, peeps? i looked at my local whole foods today, no dice.

Our Whole Foods has them in the bulk section and I have found them in most grocery stores in the "hard wood" healthy section.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal, along with some flax seeds. Or I sprinkle them over toast. My boyfriend has also used them in bread baking.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I like the look of these, but I've not tried them

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=385775001455533&set=a.369095123123521.89771.369026409797059&type=3&theater

Chia Seed Pudding (GF)

Ingredients

1/4 cup chia seeds
    1 1/2 cups almond milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1-2 drops of liquid stevia

Instructions

1. Place all the ingredients in a mason jar or other glass container.

2. Shake well to ensure Chia seeds are submerged in the nut milk.

3. Store in refrigerator overnight. The Chia seeds will soak up the water and become chewy just like tapioca.

4. Separate into three small containers to take on the go.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bump for laterr :)
  • fitnurseneina
    Options
    GNC or I have also seen them at Walmart!