Elliptical stride inch?

Options
Okay so I'm 5"11 and saw a good looking ellipitcal for under 500 bucks with a 13" stride. Would this be a pain in the butt for me? The weight capacity is fine at 325 pounds but should I be concerned about that stride inch? It's for home use. Thanks. Looking to buy online today or tomorrow...

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm 5"11 and saw a good looking ellipitcal for under 500 bucks with a 13" stride. Would this be a pain in the butt for me? The weight capacity is fine at 325 pounds but should I be concerned about that stride inch? It's for home use. Thanks. Looking to buy online today or tomorrow...

That sounds quite short, after comparing it to mine (Diamondback 1260ef). It has a 19" stride (looked it up), which is comfortable for me, and I'm short. For someone who is taller, I'm guessing that one with the shorter stride would feel more like a stair-stepper type of experience (but obviously with less pure up and down motion).

I did some research before I bought mine, and reviews basically said that lower-end machines don't tend to last more than a couple of years. I bought the machine that consumer reports had given the highest recommendation. The one I got is mid-range to high-end, but if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I can't say anything about 13" specifically, but I've used ellipticals with long and short strides, and the short stride ones drive me nuts.

This website says you should get a 20"-21": http://www.allellipticals.com/stride-length-of-elliptical-trainers.html
  • Fatimah1104
    Fatimah1104 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What's the importance of the stride inch and why did it drive you nuts? I wish I could afford a high end 20 inch stride but I can't and I don't really have time for the gym right now with two small kids and scarce babysitter so I was hoping the 13 inch wouldnt be too much of a hassle...
  • Fatimah1104
    Fatimah1104 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the 13 inch is in my budget but if its gonna be a pain in the butt then im just gonna hold off until a year or two before i can aford a 20 inch in my home
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    the 13 inch is in my budget but if its gonna be a pain in the butt then im just gonna hold off until a year or two before i can aford a 20 inch in my home

You might be able to find a deal on Craigslist. :-) I had bought mine from Amazon for about 30% off retail (plus free shipping).
  • dabrass2002
    Options
    I was told by a sales rep that the longer stride the better. The 13 inch may feel more like a stepper.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my elliptical has an 18 inch stride - and I wish it was longer!
    13 inch seems like it would be quite uncomfortable.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had bought an Elipitcal for less than 300 at kmart and I really can't remember how many inches the stride was but I am about 5'10 or so and it worked great for me. I used it most when I had it in my living room but honestly I crave the gym time so I sold it. If its set up. You could use it for a few moments to see how well you think it will work for you.
  • BenisaMartim4
    BenisaMartim4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Golds Gym brand and it drives me nuts. It takes steps too close together. I always told my husband that the stride felt 'off' to me. I guess it is just a short stride model. I am 5'9". I think I would like it to go almost twice as far as it does.