Net Calories

Options
What is the magic number we want our net calories to be at the end of the day?

Replies

• californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is so confusing to me. But I think MFP says not under 1200 net, but who knows for sure. Sorry not much help, am I ?
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Depends on your BMR and TDEE. I have read that you are supposed to aim for your net calories to be above your BMR, but below your TDEE. Cutting 15 to 30% off your TDEE is considered aggressive when trying to lose weight. But definitely no lower than 1200 net cals. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong though. :)
  • Pammy820
    Pammy820 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    how do u figure ur bmr and TDEE? sorry if I sound dumb!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    how do u figure ur bmr and TDEE? sorry if I sound dumb!
    This is a good site for that.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

If you enter your current weight as your goal weight, that would be your TDEE. From there, you can cut 20%
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    What is the magic number we want our net calories to be at the end of the day?

Your net target is just the calorie goal MFP has set for you. It's your calorie goal before you log any exercise. MFP wants you to eat that number plus any exercise calories so you will "net" your original goal.

No need to know your TDEE or BMR in order to use MFP. Just eat the calories it tells you to. TDEE minus a certain deficit is just another way to get to the same place.
  • coulsonjf
    coulsonjf Posts: 8
    Options
    Ok thanks! I thought I was doing it right, but it looks like I got it. Eat what I have left in "calories left" area until it gets as close to 0 as possible. Red is bad I have learned that :)
    :happy:
  • Pammy820
    Pammy820 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump