first bad day in 2 months.....

Options
kennyh75
kennyh75 Posts: 20 Member
I'm in an odd mood as a 50 day streak of net calorie deficits (often with 1000 kcals or more to spare), I decided to hang with my brother in law at a bar for a couple hours while our wives shopped.... and yes I drank my share of Coors Light....69 ounces in fact..... Please no judging, I didn't even drive and had fun!!!!....

Even with no eating between meals, even with a 70 minute -800 kcal spin class this morning....I still not only broke the streak, I exceeded my limit by ONE THOUSAND CALORIES.

My concern.... has anyone else had this type of day? I don't really believe in cheat days, but have this horrible feeling like I'll wake up in the morning and suddenly go back to bad habits.

Replies

• butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    In 2 months? I have a bad day every WEEK!! Sounds like you totally deserved it, don't worry about it just start up again yesterday and you'll be fine!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Don't worry. just eat healthy and exercise tomorrow.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    First off, if you are leaving 1000 calories on the table every day, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
    You are meant to EAT every calorie of your calorie goal. There is already a deficit built in.

Second, IF you chose "lose 2 pounds per week" as your goal, and you ate over your goal by 1000, then all you did was eat AT MAINTENANCE instead of a huge deficit. That's the amount to eat to stay the same, so NO, you did NOT go OVER anything.
    In fact, I suggest you eat close to that amount EVERY day, except with REAL food instead of beer....
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it! We all have bad days, and normally alot more often than every 2 months! Tomorrow is another day...just get back on track. :)
  • pfwright1
    pfwright1 Posts: 31
    Options
    Do not knock yourself......you are doing great. One day out of 50 is fantastic. I think we all deserve a BAD day ever once in a while. I have not ate alot of things since I joined but I will not feel bad if I go over alot because we have to treat ourselves on occasions. Look at all the good days you have had vs the one bad day. You are a winner in my eyes so do not let this bother you.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I realize my first response sounds harsh, but holy crap dude, it's almost as if you have NO idea how this website (or your body) works....

When you choose your goals and put in "2 pounds per week", it spit out a calorie goal based ON that LOSS....
    Meaning, you EAT THAT AMOUNT to achieve that loss. You do NOT need to create a deficit off of that number. You need to EAT all those calories to fuel your body to LIVE.

MEN need at LEAST 1500 calories a day to SURVIVE. Larger (taller, heavier) men can require even more than that. Go to "tools" and check your BMR. That is the amount your body uses each day to simply beat your heart, breathe, reproduce cells, digest food, and run your brain... if you are eating less than that number (regularly), you are starving yourself to death. A day here or there won't hurt you, but two months STRAIGHT? I am shocked you are not in the hospital.

Once MFP has that BMR number, it then multiplies it by an activity factor. 1.2 if you are truly sedentary...like bed to couch and that's it. Up to 1.9 for highly active, and anywhere in between for the other levels.

THAT new number is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). MFP subtracts from the TDEE a number of calories (250 for half a pound a week, 500 for one pound, 1000 for 2 pounds)
    One pound is recommended.
    If you chose 2 pounds, then 1000 is already subtracted from your TDEE (AKA maintenance calories).
    You need to eat every calorie in your diary, EVEN the ones it adds when you enter exercise, to be "reaching your goals". Staying "under" your goal is a fail. A goal is something to REACH.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Robin. You are not eating near enough calories to sustain yourself. Follow her advice!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I realize my first response sounds harsh, but holy crap dude, it's almost as if you have NO idea how this website (or your body) works....

When you choose your goals and put in "2 pounds per week", it spit out a calorie goal based ON that LOSS....
    Meaning, you EAT THAT AMOUNT to achieve that loss. You do NOT need to create a deficit off of that number. You need to EAT all those calories to fuel your body to LIVE.

MEN need at LEAST 1500 calories a day to SURVIVE. Larger (taller, heavier) men can require even more than that. Go to "tools" and check your BMR. That is the amount your body uses each day to simply beat your heart, breathe, reproduce cells, digest food, and run your brain... if you are eating less than that number (regularly), you are starving yourself to death. A day here or there won't hurt you, but two months STRAIGHT? I am shocked you are not in the hospital.

Once MFP has that BMR number, it then multiplies it by an activity factor. 1.2 if you are truly sedentary...like bed to couch and that's it. Up to 1.9 for highly active, and anywhere in between for the other levels.

THAT new number is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). MFP subtracts from the TDEE a number of calories (250 for half a pound a week, 500 for one pound, 1000 for 2 pounds)
    If you chose 2 pounds, then 1000 is already subtracted from your TDEE (AKA maintenance calories).
    You need to eat every calorie in your diary, EVEN the ones it adds when you enter exercise, to be "reaching your goals". Staying "under" your goal is a fail. A goal is something to REACH.

THIS^^^!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I also agree with Robin! If you are undereating by 1000 calories per day, you are on a destructive path. You will lose weight, but it'll be muscle too!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hanging with your bro-in-law, drinking beer while the wives shopped, and you enjoyed it - sounds like a good day to me. :drinker:

And it's one day out of a streak of 50 - the habit is not broken with one enjoyable afternoon. However, like the other posters said, if you routinely have a 1000 calorie deficit, I'm curious as to what your daily goal is. You diary isn't open, so I couldn't snoop. :tongue:
  • MMB5222
    MMB5222 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had a day like that....I was 900+ calories over my quota and was in a bit of a panic over it. It was silly but I get like that when I mess up. But it wasn't awful....I didn't gain any weight and I went right back on track the next day. That's really all that matters....that you log it, put it behind you and move on! :)
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    In 2 months? I have a bad day every WEEK!! Sounds like you totally deserved it, don't worry about it just start up again yesterday and you'll be fine!

lmao!! Ive had those too!
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm in an odd mood as a 50 day streak of net calorie deficits (often with 1000 kcals or more to spare), I decided to hang with my brother in law at a bar for a couple hours while our wives shopped.... and yes I drank my share of Coors Light....69 ounces in fact..... Please no judging, I didn't even drive and had fun!!!!....

Even with no eating between meals, even with a 70 minute -800 kcal spin class this morning....I still not only broke the streak, I exceeded my limit by ONE THOUSAND CALORIES.

My concern.... has anyone else had this type of day? I don't really believe in cheat days, but have this horrible feeling like I'll wake up in the morning and suddenly go back to bad habits.

Listen no need for concern tomorrow is another day. U deserved that "bad" day enjoy!~
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You'll probably wake up tommorrow a pound lighter. This is coming from experience.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Listen to Robin.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    First off, if you are leaving 1000 calories on the table every day, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
    You are meant to EAT every calorie of your calorie goal. There is already a deficit built in.

Second, IF you chose "lose 2 pounds per week" as your goal, and you ate over your goal by 1000, then all you did was eat AT MAINTENANCE instead of a huge deficit. That's the amount to eat to stay the same, so NO, you did NOT go OVER anything.
    In fact, I suggest you eat close to that amount EVERY day, except with REAL food instead of beer....

This, and this.
  • KB0JWR
    KB0JWR Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You'll probably wake up tommorrow a pound lighter. This is coming from experience.

this is my guess... at that huge a calorie deficit, your body will go into starvation mode. you very well did it good by kick starting your metaboism.