95% of Americans have Gluten Sensitivity & causes wt gain.

Options

Replies

• janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading Wheat Belly. Excellent book.

I gave up gluten about ten weeks ago. I was taking motrin (joint pain), protonix (acid reflux), proventil and flovent (asthma), singulair (allergies), neurontin (nerve burning and neuralgial headaches), and synthroid (hypothyroidism).

Now I only take the synthroid and that is at a lower dose!!!!

If I had known what I know today about gluten, I would have given it up years ago.

The problem is that when wheat is hybridized, it combines the number of genes. Compare that to humans, where the infant takes on some characteristics of each parent. Wheat takes on all the characteristics of each parent.

Over the years, as Einkorn wheat was hybridized and the result of that hybridization hybridized and so on, the amount of gluten in wheat has practically quadrupled. This is why we have people with Celiac disease, gluten allergies, and gluten sensitivity.

Now, I believe that those with gluten sensitivity actually have gluten allergies. It is just the first step toward the allergy. Further exposure will push the person toward an allergy, so let's call it what it really is - gluten allergy.

Celiac is known for the characteristic digestive issues, but they are finding that there may be people who are not affected digestive-wise. They may have issues with allergies, headaches, migraines, joint pain, nerve issues, urinary incontinence, etc. I am of the feeling that these things should also be called Celiac Disease because the problems are being caused by gluten in the diet.

The reason why people with gluten issues gain weight is quite simple - their body is starving because of the damage to the digestive system and other systems, causing the metabolism to slow down and the body to hold on to all it can as far as energy reserves. This should sound familiar to those here at MFP - it is just like starvation mode. The slower metabolism and holding on to energy reserves (fat) means that the person can be overweight and still have gluten issues.

I find it interesting that the further out I go with staying away from gluten, the smaller a dose of synthroid I have to take. I will say that the joint pain, tender abdomen, bloating, and indigestion went away within three days. The asthma and allergy issues got better within three weeks. The nerve issues took about six weeks. I am happy, though, for all these improvement.

If anyone is on multiple medications, I would recommend that you try a gluten-free diet for at least six to eight weeks and see how you feel. It may help and it may not help. You will not know until you try.

I was told over and over and over that everything that was wrong with me was because I was overweight. That all my health problems were a symptom of being fat and not that being fat was a symptom of an underlying health issue. Celiacs and a gluten intolerance were one of the things doctors swore I couldn't have cause I was gaining and NOT losing. I finally found a wonderful family practioner that helped me and I'm slowly cutting gluten out of my diet and have been trying to eat clean and in the process I have lost 25 lbs.

Quick question, what were you eating prior to making those gluten changes to your diet?

A lot of sandwiches and pasta dishes, cereals. Pretty much every meal I was eating wheat. I first cut out HFCS and foods with preservatives because I was having so many digestive issues I was tested for Chrons and ulcerative colitis, my body basically cannot break down highly processed foods. I get terrible stomach cramps, like, knock you off your feet off the charts painful. I have a very sensitive stomach, sometimes even drinking water I will get stomach cramps, it's just something I've always dealt with. I also cut out enriched bleached flour, which helped, but I'm still having symptoms that are sometimes attributed to celiacs or gluten intolerance like migraines, cramps, digestive problems and the like. I'm still in the process of going gluten free though. I'm transitioning into it because it's so damn expensive and Im a broke *kitten* college student.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Without going to a doctor how would you know if you have a gluten intolerance or, as so many people are to some degree or another based on the article, is it best to assume you are and cut out gluten altogether? The thing that would concern me is that I am a vegetarian and get a lot of my protein from wheat gluten. Also, if you cut out gluten altogether but then accidently have some, would you have a more violent reaction than before to it? Sort of like if a vegetarian decides to eat meat again their body has not been producing the enzyme to properly digest it?
    I think it probably goes like this:
    OMG I HERD TAHT GLUTENS R TEH EVILS?!?!!!1!!one1one!
    *stops eating "gluten containing" foods, and by "gluten containing" i mean "low-quality crap" and starts eating healthier foods*
    OMGUH I FEEL SO MUCH BETTAR GLUTEN Y R U NO GUD 4 ME?!?!?!?

Not that some people don't have serious issues with gluten... the whole GLUTEN R EVIL thing is completely over-hyped though.
  • janessafantasma
    Options
    Without going to a doctor how would you know if you have a gluten intolerance or, as so many people are to some degree or another based on the article, is it best to assume you are and cut out gluten altogether? The thing that would concern me is that I am a vegetarian and get a lot of my protein from wheat gluten. Also, if you cut out gluten altogether but then accidently have some, would you have a more violent reaction than before to it? Sort of like if a vegetarian decides to eat meat again their body has not been producing the enzyme to properly digest it?
    I think it probably goes like this:
    OMG I HERD TAHT GLUTENS R TEH EVILS?!?!!!1!!one1one!
    *stops eating "gluten containing" foods, and by "gluten containing" i mean "low-quality crap" and starts eating healthier foods*
    OMGUH I FEEL SO MUCH BETTAR GLUTEN Y R U NO GUD 4 ME?!?!?!?

Not that some people don't have serious issues with gluten... the whole GLUTEN R EVIL thing is completely over-hyped though.

I think it's weird when people go on gluten free diets like its a fad. I'm having the HARDEST time going gluten free, I love wheat. I love it so much, but with the constant stomach problems, nausea, migraines and everything else, when my doctor suggested trying gluten free to see if my symptoms would go away, I decided it was worth it. But damn, it's so difficult.
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Is there an actual test to see if you are gluten/celiac allergy? Or is it a process of elimination?
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    A lot of sandwiches and pasta dishes, cereals. Pretty much every meal I was eating wheat. I first cut out HFCS and foods with preservatives because I was having so many digestive issues I was tested for Chrons and ulcerative colitis, my body basically cannot break down highly processed foods. I get terrible stomach cramps, like, knock you off your feet off the charts painful. I have a very sensitive stomach, sometimes even drinking water I will get stomach cramps, it's just something I've always dealt with. I also cut out enriched bleached flour, which helped, but I'm still having symptoms that are sometimes attributed to celiacs or gluten intolerance like migraines, cramps, digestive problems and the like. I'm still in the process of going gluten free though. I'm transitioning into it because it's so damn expensive and Im a broke *kitten* college student.
    Got to an immunologist. Get an MRT done. Best thing you can possibly do for digestive issues. I spent a couple of years trying to figure out what was causing me grief (I am also extremely sensitive to a variety of chemicals/artificial colors/preservatives), and when I got my test results back, I found that 90% of "processed" foods had things that I had issues with (soy, whey, polysorbate, artificial colors), but in fact I have 0 issues with wheat and gluten (I am fine with corn as well, which I spent YEARS thinking I was allergic to because it is almost always found with chemicals/whey/soy). One of my coworkers went from constant brain fog, crippling abdominal pain, and terrible psoriasis to symptom free in like 2 months after cutting out everything the test indicated she was sensitive to from her diet.

Don't buy in to the gluten hype (I'm not saying that it's not possible that you have issues with gluten, just that it is statistically unlikely).
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    If 95% of people had a gluten "sensitivity," the grains that contain it would likely be considered poisonous, and would have never become staples to begin with.

I'm just throwing this out there, but I imagine quite a few of the people who decide on their own that they must have a gluten sensitivity and cut it out of their diet feel better because they are eating more whole whole grains and vegetables in the place of refined flours. Cutting out gluten is the easiest shortcut to choosing healther foods. It's one single, simple thing that, if you are strict about it, leads you to have to cut out tons of crappy foods. If that works for you, then that's awesome! But the hype around the supposed prevelence of sensitivities and allergies is just too much.
  • janessafantasma
    Options
    Got to an immunologist. Get an MRT done. Best thing you can possibly do for digestive issues. I spent a couple of years trying to figure out what was causing me grief (I am also extremely sensitive to a variety of chemicals/artificial colors/preservatives), and when I got my test results back, I found that 90% of "processed" foods had things that I had issues with (soy, whey, polysorbate, artificial colors), but in fact I have 0 issues with wheat and gluten (I am fine with corn as well, which I spent YEARS thinking I was allergic to because it is almost always found with chemicals/whey/soy). One of my coworkers went from constant brain fog, crippling abdominal pain, and terrible psoriasis to symptom free in like 2 months after cutting out everything the test indicated she was sensitive to from her diet.

Don't buy in to the gluten hype (I'm not saying that it's not possible that you have issues with gluten, just that it is statistically unlikely).

What's an MRT? Thanks for the info, though! I have been eating through process of elimination for years and it's sucks. I definitely don't have a problem with dairy, thank goodness!
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    Honestly, people have "oxygen sensitivity", and "sunlight sensitivity". It causes wrinkles on your skin, and death.

Anyone who has a "gluten sensitivity" should shut up about their "gluten sensitivity" nonsense, give up their computer, cellphone, electric lights, and all other technology, and eke out a living on blue algae while living on a hippy commune.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, only like 10% of the population is estimated to have gluten sensitivity of any sort. Post title fail.

:laugh:
  • janessafantasma
    Options
    Honestly, people have "oxygen sensitivity", and "sunlight sensitivity". It causes wrinkles on your skin, and death.

Anyone who has a "gluten sensitivity" should shut up about their "gluten sensitivity" nonsense, give up their computer, cellphone, electric lights, and all other technology, and eke out a living on blue algae while living on a hippy commune.
    Until you experience the crippling pain of a food "sensitivity" you shouldn't be so rude.

My food "sensitivity" landed me in the hospital for two days with such severe dehydration I could barely walk. I may or may not have a gluten intolerance, but there are many people who do and have celiacs and it's incredibly frustrating and terrible to have. Oh, and I have sunlight sensitivity too because I have lupus, should I just shut up about my very real autoimmune disorder that causes severe and painful rashes on my skin if I'm out in sunlight for top long??
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here who feels like this is less of a post and more of an advertisement? Buy my book, the original post implies. How about get it from the library. And pay for your advertising instead of disguising it as a post on a message board. Just my humble opinion.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Your topic grossly misrepresents the article. The statement was that 95% of the people who have celiac disease are undiagnosed. This is numerically different than your title.

She's a nurse. Make a misrepresentation like that on the job and.....:noway:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Or they could continue eating gluten free and not have to experience the bloating, headaches, and constant digestive upsets they had before. I have nothing against gluten--I miss it, actually. But my body does much better without it.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac's not too long ago. I never really thought I had GI problems (of course, now I realize I probably have all my life and just never knew it was abnormal) until this summer when I started getting severe bouts of nausea.

I've always been sick pretty much my whole life for one reason or another. I had reflux in high school, then diagnosed with thyroid disease, then psoriasis. And now, it seems like ALL of those health problems more than likely stem from the Celiac's.

The oddest part is that my endocrinologist really only tested me on a whim (because I am not underweight, and I don't seem particularly malnourished). I'm partially symptomatic, but we always assumed my illness was just due to my severe vitamin D deficiency and thyroid disease. She tested just to rule out with neither of us actually thinking I would be positive. Yet, here I am eating rice cakes and mourning the loss of all the easy to make food I used to eat...
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Is there an actual test to see if you are gluten/celiac allergy? Or is it a process of elimination?

There is blood testing now that is not always conclusive. A lot of people test negatively on the blood test. However, doctors will also generally have you go in for an endoscopy/duodenal biopsy where they literally look at your intestine to see the effects of Celiac's and test the tissue right after the stomach.

My blood work was positive. =(
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thx for the info! :)
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    About two years ago I tried the Zone diet. Not even realizing that in the process I was no longer eating gluten. I had never heard of a gluten sensitivity. I had suffered ibs, skin problems, abnormal weight gain even while dieting and exercising. I suffered horrible migraines and joint pain. During a visit to my dr she asked how I had managed to finally lose 20 lbs. I told her the zone. After a very long conversation and her noticing that my skin condition was also cleared up and that I no longer had dry skin issues. thru a series of visits to her and several question and answer sessions, she advised me I most likely had a gluten intolerance. Over a few weeks I cut out all sources of gluten completely and in doing so I no longer suffered ibs symptoms, headaches or joint pain. Until my dr noticing an improvement in my overall health, I had never even heard of a gluten intolerance! And yes over the past two years, I have suffered because of being just to lazy to stay gluten free. I am now 17 days without gluten and have lost 15 lbs and most of my other symptoms are gone as well! So to those of you that think it doesn't exist, or its over diagnosed, believe me, it does exist and probably is under diagnosed because most of us don't have truthful conversations with our drs!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    http://www.dovepress.com/getfile.php?fileID=13214

Abstract: A novel hypothesis of obesity is suggested by consideration of diet-related inflammation and evolutionary medicine. The obese homeostatically guard their elevated weight. In rodent models of high-fat diet-induced obesity, leptin resistance is seen initially at vagal afferents, blunting the actions of satiety mediators, then centrally, with gastrointestinal bacterial-triggered SOCS3 signaling implicated. In humans, dietary fat and fructose elevate systemic lipopolysaccharide, while dietary glucose also strongly activates SOCS3 signaling. Crucially however, in humans, low-carbohydrate diets spontaneously decrease weight in a way that low-fat diets do not. Furthermore, nutrition transition patterns and the health of those still eating diverse ancestral diets with abundant food suggest that neither glycemic index, altered fat, nor carbohydrate intake can be intrinsic causes of obesity, and that human energy homeostasis functions well without Westernized foods containing flours, sugar, and refined fats. Due to being made up of cells, virtually all “ancestral foods” have markedly lower carbohydrate densities than flour- and sugar-containing foods, a property quite independent of glycemic index. Thus the “forgotten organ” of the gastrointestinal microbiota is a prime candidate to be influenced by evolutionarily unprecedented postprandial luminal carbohydrate concentrations. The present hypothesis suggests that in parallel with the bacterial effects of sugars on dental and periodontal health, acellular flours, sugars, and processed foods produce an inflammatory microbiota via the upper gastrointestinal tract, with fat able to effect a “double hit” by increasing systemic absorption of lipopolysaccharide. This model is consistent with a broad spectrum of reported dietary phenomena. A diet of grain-free whole foods with carbohydrate from cellular tubers, leaves, and fruits may produce a gastrointestinal microbiota consistent with our evolutionary condition, potentially explaining the exceptional macronutrient-independent metabolic health of non-Westernized populations, and the apparent efficacy of the modern “Paleolithic” diet on satiety and metabolism.

Interesting read.
  • konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    The Subject of this thread is a gross misrepresentation and reading the first post does sound like a "buy my book" post.

For many people who have a sensitivity or allergy to wheat, going gluten-free can relieve a number of symptoms (inflammation, maldigestion, etc). For celiacs it is a lifesaver (yes, the current stats are about 1 in 133 to 100 Americans are celiac, and yes, many are undiagnosed but that number is getting lower).

However, people cannot make blanket statements with unfounded statistics. We all know that so many books make so many promises. For some folks, giving up gluten has helped them avoid a lot of non-nutritional foods, moving more towards clean eating (less processed foods), and even moving towards a low carb approach (which creates other physiological changes such as decreased retained water when the muscles/liver are depleted of glycogen).

Personally, I have gone gluten-free this summer as part of a fitness challenge at my Crossfit gym. I think the only change I have noticed is less gas/farts. Never thought I had any sensitivity before, so I'm not surprised. I've lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks because I've been good about keeping track of my intake/output and making a concious effort to eat more fruits/vegetables.

Professionally, I am a registered dietitian who works primarily in pediatrics. I've been heavily involved in medical nutrition therapy for people with celiac and food allergies. Celiac can occur at any age (just need a genetic potential and then a trigger, it's an autoimmune disorder). Various signs & symptoms from diarrhea & weight loss to constipation & weight gain. Headaches, stomach aches, or nothing but a family history (or a first degree relative has recently been diagnosed so every one was screened and folks without symptoms were positive antibodies). Food sensitivies are more difficult to diagnose, but sometimes we say "give it a try" when a family wants to do an elimination diet. Then we monitor. And I'm there to help make sure they can still meet all the nutritional needs (the more food you eliminate, the more difficult that can be).

Over the years, one thing I've definitely learned, one diet does not fit all. Some times it takes multiple attempts to find what will work for the individual to maintain a healthy weight without feeling deprived.

kona
    Registered Dietitian, Crossfit Masters