Clothes?

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
Ok so I'm at a point where all of my pants are falling off my hips I have to wear a belt to keep them up otherwise I'm constantly pulling them up and they are saggy as heck. Not sure what to do though because I'm low in the cash flow department and can't afford to buy all new summer clothes to last me a month - 2 months when next summer they won't fit me anyways if I continue the way I am. What do you do? Buy a whole new wardrobe (which I can't afford) every couple sizes? Or jsut buy a couple things to get you through?

Replies

• jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    I would only buy a few things to get through...especially since summer is slowly coming to an end and the next season will be here before we know it! I'm not sure if it's financially friendly, but have you considered taking some of your favorite things in for alterations? May be cheaper than all new clothes...good luck!
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Check to see if you have a freecycle where you are. I just gave away a bunch of clothes on my local version or it. (Google FREECYCLE),
    Ebay, thrift shops, consignment stores, and Freecycle have been great resources for me. I refuse to buy ANYTHING new right now.

Edit.. Well, except bras, undies, and shoes.. those things have to be new.. :o)
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You should buy at least one outfit to fit your new body so that you feel good. And when you're at your lowest point, you can put it on and go, "WOW, this is why I'm doing this!!"

For me, I had to buy some things (I didn't have shorts at all for summer), but right now I'm trying to hold out for another size or two.

I've heard that shopping at thrift stores is a potentially good option if you have access to that!

Regardless of if you try to manage to wear your current stuff or get them tailored (another, possible cheaper option depending on the tailor) -- you should have something that makes you feel great.

I know when I see myself in saggy clothes, sometimes I forget what's underneath!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    thrift stores.. wash em and who cares? i get exercise clothes and jeans there a lot.. or Ross... clearance... and congrats... i see youve lost 9#'s! they say its about a size every 10 pounds... so your down a size.. and so you be saggin in your current drawers! lol... :drinker:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    maybe visit some thrift stores and get some "temporary" clothes....
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    maybe visit some thrift stores and get some "temporary" clothes....

^ this
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I would go for one pair of jean shorts, one pair of black shorts & something in a charcoal colour.

I went out & bought just 3 pairs of work pants using coupons from Aeroplan Miles, so I could continue losing weight myself. I've donated a bunch of clothes, but basically I've been *trying* to get by with what I have.

Although I've still had to buy new sports bras & running shoes because I've killed the ones I have. Some things though? You don't skimp on, no matter what.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Try getting a few of the items altered. It does not cost too much (cheaper than a new pair of shorts/pants) to get your clothing "taken in".

I also would shop thrifty/sales only until you reach your goal.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    See I totally plan on doing it the thrift store way because well honestly at this point money is tight as heck since we leave for vacation in 3 1/2 weeks and I need to save every penny I have until then since I want this vacation to be special for my kids it will be our first ever non cabin at the lake type vacation so I don't want to spend any of that $$ especially since I had to dip in for some medical stuff last month already. But I'm starting to feel like I might have to but I feel like then I'm stealing from the kids vacation...I don't want want to be like well I want to look nice on vacation so we didn't get to do the Kayaking tour.... AHH I hate this. I have a couple skirts that work and a dress I bought last summer that was a little small so that fits...it's the shorts and jeans I'm having an issue with...might have to see what's on clearance at the thrift store...or drag my mom with me on the senior 50% days....
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Just buy a couple of versatile pieces that will go with everything that you can wear over and over again to get you through. Surely you have sales on at the moment then on summer clothes if there is only 1 month left or so of the season? See you if can pick up a bargain.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    This is a very good time of year to buy clearance. Other than that you might consider consignment or second hand shops like Goodwill. I dropped weight really fast so I got away with as much as I could as long as I could but now nothing from my old wardrobe fits so I am having to buy some things.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    thrift stores, yard sales or get quotes on tailors that might be able to adjust them to fit better.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    Thinkin' I might try some yard sales next weekend might be better than the thrift store. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    craigslist garage sales or estate sales, always a good buy long as you catch me early, also thrift stores or goodwill, i go to one out here called value village. they do half off on the entire store every last wednesday of the month :-D
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I'm in a size 6 now and I still wears my 9s LOL Although in my hips, I can wear a 4, just my love handles & tummy give me muffin top. So I'm sorta wearing pants like 2 sizes too big for me haha I just constantly pull them up. I sorta refuse to buy a lot of clothes cuz I kno they'll just get too big & I dont like to waste money. Sometimes I'll get a couple things to get me thru and wear my bigger clothes as well. I must look like a hobo. I recently bought some like running shorts. Those are good, cuz they're stretch in the waist and have draw strings as well, so they'll fit for a while. I recommend stuff like that, so you can get a lot of wear out of them. When I was fat I wore a lot of like jogging pants and stuff, so I got to wear them a while & I had some smaller clothes from when I was smaller b4. Now the smaller clothes are big on me and I'm sorta just holding out to buy more lol
  • flopsy1973
    flopsy1973 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have just bought a couple of cheap pairs of tracksuit trousers to get me through. I still wear bigger tops as they're comfy and i can't really afford to spend much. I have a few smaller sized pairs of nicer trousers for when i shrink a bit more (well you have to when things are reduced from over £20 to £3 or less). I'll never be a bikini model or anything like that but at least i'm healthier and getting good comments about my weight loss :smile:
  • TillyGuernsey
    Options
    Im going with tunic tops and stretchy leggings in the main as they cover a multitude of sizes.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For my work pants I just sewed some elastic in the back of them.
  • BertieGotSkill
    BertieGotSkill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I mostly go to the local thrift store when I need new clothes. I'm saving up the extra cash for a shopping spree when I'm done!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you're on Reddit, there is a subreddit that can help you:

http://www.reddit.com/r/weightlossclothes

Someone might have what you need, and in turn you may be able to give your old clothes to someone else! There is also r/loseit (change the word "weightlossclothes" in that link to "loseit") - a weight loss subreddit much like MFP, and in fact a lot of members here are also redditors.

Otherwise, try Goodwill or another thrift shop near you. A friend of mine shops almost exclusively at Goodwill and she is the most fashionable person I know - you can find designer clothing, occasionally with minor flaws (missing buttons, etc), for a tiny fraction of what you would pay in a department store.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!