Former Fat Kid Relationship Philosophy Conundrum

Options
Ok, so one thing I keep wondering about recently is this:

I am currently single and have been for a few years now-- roughly the same amount of time since my weight got out of control. But now that I'm losing (little by little), I wonder if guys will see me more as I get smaller. But here's the thing-- how do you get over the mental hurtle of knowing this person might not have shown any interest in you at your former, higher weight? I mean, I know people in general are more attracted to fit people, but... I guess what I'm saying is I don't want a guy that couldn't want the fat me, even if I want to improve myself and my body. Have any other single people who have reached their goals dealt with this idea loop? How?

I guess the basis for this is that I've lived around a terrible double standard where guys get to be overweight, but women over 130 get criticized, and I really couldn't deal with that trait in a partner. At the same time, I'd love to be with someone that was kind of health-nutty and fit so we could do crazy activities together, like running marathons or taking dance classes or something.

Replies

• almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    One possible solution is to (somehow) date men who have had heavy girlfriends in the past. How you're meant to find out - well good luck in figuring it out.
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    that will be difficult to answer unless you get a guy....gain weight and find out his true feelings right?

if you used online dating...you should put your "fat" pic up as your profile picture....and if guys are attracted already to that...then I would tend to believe.

but if it someone you meet out in public....after some weeks....i would show them a pic of yourself fatter....try to get a feel of their reaction.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I personally will always be that obese little girl inside, even though I've been fit for many years now. I once dated a guy who stated, " I like my girls THIN"...he didn't get another date from me. Instinctively you will know the superficial guys from the ones who truly like you for you. I won't date superficial guys. I get lots of attention like we all do but when the guy is a superficial pig it's not welcome attention anymore. I date the guys that I KNOW would have been interested in me when I was heavy. And the guys in junior high who called me "Big Bertha" who friended me on FB? Declined! I never forget how I was treated back then...never!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

I am currently single and have been for a few years now-- roughly the same amount of time since my weight got out of control. But now that I'm losing (little by little), I wonder if guys will see me more as I get smaller. But here's the thing-- how do you get over the mental hurtle of knowing this person might not have shown any interest in you at your former, higher weight? I mean, I know people in general are more attracted to fit people, but... I guess what I'm saying is I don't want a guy that couldn't want the fat me, even if I want to improve myself and my body. Have any other single people who have reached their goals dealt with this idea loop? How?

I guess the basis for this is that I've lived around a terrible double standard where guys get to be overweight, but women over 130 get criticized, and I really couldn't deal with that trait in a partner. At the same time, I'd love to be with someone that was kind of health-nutty and fit so we could do crazy activities together, like running marathons or taking dance classes or something.
    How to you get over it?
    Easy.
    Attraction is physical - period.
    That's nature; welcome to the human race.
    BUCK UP!
    You plug into reality and resolve to live well, be happy and stay fit.
    I don't mean to be unkind, but body fat is ugly to most people.
    This is news?
    Just suck it up, get healthy where you'll look good, feel great and live a nice long life.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I personally will always be that obese little girl inside, even though I've been fit for many years now. I once dated a guy who stated, " I like my girls THIN"...he didn't get another date from me. Instinctively you will know the superficial guys from the ones who truly like you for you. I won't date superficial guys. I get lots of attention like we all do but when the guy is a superficial pig it's not welcome attention anymore. I date the guys that I KNOW would have been interested in me when I was heavy. And the guys in junior high who called me "Big Bertha" who friended me on FB? Declined! I never forget how I was treated back then...never!

No, you never ever forget how bad people treated you. I never have and those wounds may fade but they still hurt. Even when you lose weight. I feel very blessed to be where I am in life. Yeah, I have weight to lose, but I know who I am and what I will not stand for when it comes to other people in my life.

I think I will always be the kid that was picked on inside no matter how I look on the outside.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    Your appearance just gets you in the door. It is your personality that will determine whether or not the relationship works long term.

It stinks that a guy who would be fantastic with you as a couple may have excluded you from his dating pool at one point in time, but that doesn't mean once he has gotten to know you if you gain 5 pounds he is going to be out the door.

My bf, for example, was head over heals for my body when we first started dating. Then I put on 20-30 pounds. Now that I am trying to lose the weight, it actually bothers him. He has discovered he really likes me with a little extra weight on. He likes all the perks that come along with gaining a few pounds.

Unfortunately, that doesn't make me any happier about gaining weight. I was nicknamed pod girl in high school, because I was bigger than one whale, I was a family of whales. SO when I look in the mirror no matter what my weight or pants size I can only see pod girl.
  • SarahD59
    SarahD59 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Of course, I understand you not wanting to date some jerk who would say, "I'd never date a fat chick." or something equally insensitive and judgmental. However, some people wouldn't date an out of shape person because it would limit the things they could do. I get that. Since getting in somewhat better shape, I'm able to do so much more than I could before. I'd want to find someone who could experience those new things with me. I'd also want someone who supported the new way I eat and exercise. If someone's in poor shape themselves, they're less likely to understand your goals and be as supportive.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    that will be difficult to answer unless you get a guy....gain weight and find out his true feelings right?

if you used online dating...you should put your "fat" pic up as your profile picture....and if guys are attracted already to that...then I would tend to believe.

but if it someone you meet out in public....after some weeks....i would show them a pic of yourself fatter....try to get a feel of their reaction.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    ABSURD
    Nobody should reflect themselves poorly just to troll for some dumpy guy who like fat girls.
    Be your best and go after somebody equally yoked physically.
    Ladies, think of the movies "Magic Mike"
    Would any of you have gone if the movie was about some nice but porcine fat guy who liked to dance?
    NO!
    Accept that beauty and attraction is mostly about looks.
    And yes, the guys who would have never given the time of day will like you fit.
    Big deal!
    That's life.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Nobody should reflect themselves poorly just to troll for some dumpy guy who like fat girls.
    Be your best and go after somebody equally yoked physically.
    Ladies, think of the movies "Magic Mike"
    Would any of you have gone if the movie was about some nice but porcine fat guy who liked to dance?
    NO!
    Accept that beauty and attraction is mostly about looks.
    And yes, the guys who would have never given the time of day will like you fit.
    Big deal!
    That's life.

I think they called that movie The Full Monty.... ;)
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

How to you get over it?
    Easy.
    BUCK UP!
    This is news?
    Just suck it up, get healthy where you'll look good, feel great and live a nice long life.

Attraction is NOT simply physical. I was with a man for 6 years that was heavy because I loved his personality, which lead to my attraction to him. I found him wildly sexy because of who he was.

I still fall for guys based on personality over body type.

Don't start this early, Bobby.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry too much about it, hun. You are a different person, transforming on the inside with each pound lost. You may be not only attracting a different guy because of your weight, but because of how you shine now. You're becoming more and more confident and guys take notice to that. There's tons of other skinny girls, but there's a reason they'd want you. Because you kick *kitten*. Your personality is exuberant and your desire to be better is an admirable quality.

Love yourself! Guys dig that too! :flowerforyou:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I dunno. I lost 40 pounds before meeting my bf and he loved me as I was when we met even though I'm over 20 pounds down since then. He says he'll love me at any size. So I use this as motivation to keep going as I figure if he loves how I look NOW, he's gonna be really pleased when I reach my goal weight. My weight loss actually motivated him to go to the gym. Guess he wants to be able to keep up with me. :)

I had this mindset too though and honestly, work on yourself first. You gain confidence as you go and that shows, which could attract a very nice fella like it did for me and so many others. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

How to you get over it?
    Easy.
    BUCK UP!
    This is news?

Attraction is NOT simply physical. I was with a man for 6 years that was heavy because I loved his personality, which lead to my attraction to him. I found him wildly sexy because of who he was.

I still fall for guys based on personality over body type.

Don't start this early, Bobby.
    Not trying to "start".
    Just trying to Keep it real.
    Get fit, be your best and life is wonderful - much better fit than fat.
    And yes, the pool of available mates increase for both men and ladies when we are fit.
    That's reality.
    Don't fight it; embrace it :bigsmile:
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I dunno. I lost 40 pounds before meeting my bf and he loved me as I was when we met even though I'm over 20 pounds down since then. He says he'll love me at any size. So I use this as motivation to keep going as I figure if he loves how I look NOW, he's gonna be really pleased when I reach my goal weight. My weight loss actually motivated him to go to the gym. Guess he wants to be able to keep up with me. :)

I had this mindset too though and honestly, work on yourself first. You gain confidence as you go and that shows, which could attract a very nice fella like it did for me and so many others. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

Confidence is sexy! I try to explain to my 9 year old (who thinks she is 25!) when we see girls (usually teenagers) dressed inappropriately and they are showing tons of skin and fidgeting to pull tops up and keep skirts down and standing awkwardly to cover their tummies, etc. that it isn't attractive. It is better to wear clothes that leave something to the imagination and fit properly so that you aren't constantly acting self conscious. It is a lesson I wish all women could learn. Strut with confidence no matter what size you are!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

Love and attraction are apples and oranges. The most precious possession that ever comes to a man in this world is a woman's heart. A good man knows this.
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to have this same thought. Then, for me, I realized it was just another excuse. I am not saying that it is for you, please do not read it that way. I am still on my weight loss journey and I am finally being successful because I realized that I didn't love the fat me. I don't care if my current fiance would have noticed me 60lbs ago. He loves me now, and I love me. You have to love yourself for others to notice and love you. Start there :) I am sure you are beautiful right now and if you see it others will too. Lose the weight because you want quality of life and you love yourself enough for it.
  • BrittanyLail
    BrittanyLail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds before meeting my future husband. Honestly, I still feel "big" on the inside and I have to remind myself the "big girl" is gone.

You meantioned that you wanted someone that enjoyed activities and was healthy- nutty. Use this as a motivation.

I was very picky about who I dated (I even looked up there taxes online and if they had not paid home/car taxed they didn't get a date from me! If they couldn't pay taxes they certainly couldn't afford to take me to dinner and a moviel! ~If taxes were paid early they got extra brownie points!! ). I knew the characteristics I wanted in my spouse so I wrote them down (I actually found this list yesterday!!). Included in mine were athletic and healthy eater...however, I knew if I wanted that in someone I also had to set that example.

I used that motivation to reach my goal of 160.

It's true that men first are first attracted to the physical you; however, your personality sets you apart and makes you... "you." As corny, as it sounds you must find someone that loses "you" not your body. Beauty fades but your heart remains! :)
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    Most relationships start out because of physical attraction. You don't really get to know someone unless you have dated and you don't really date unless some guy says "She's hot I should take her to the movies" (LOL). So I do somewhat believe that losing weight (and gaining confidence) will probably bring on more gentleman callers. Just know he will eventually love you for you but currently he wants you for your body :-)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    of course more guys will find you attractive as you lose the weight. there is nothing wrong with that. in general wouldnt you be more attracted to someone who is 100 lbs overweight than someone who is 300 lbs overweight? then it stands to reason it would be the same if the person was 10lbs overweight vs 50. and so on.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is I don't want a guy that couldn't want the fat me, even if I want to improve myself and my body. Have any other single people who have reached their goals dealt with this idea loop? How?

I guess the basis for this is that I've lived around a terrible double standard where guys get to be overweight, but women over 130 get criticized, and I really couldn't deal with that trait in a partner.

There's no way to test that, other than staying overweight and trying to meet someone, and for all you know you might end up with some guy who's threatened by your weight loss efforts. Or you could lose weight and don a fat suit and go out and date, as in one of those movies with a ridiculous premise.

I've never been overweight and went out with a morbidly obese guy who used to sabotage my weight maintenance efforts. Then he said that he'd dump me if I gained weight -- we were kidding around -- I was not amused.

Don't set impossible standards in meeting men.