What are your little tricks for losing weight?

Options
Wanted to see what you have done , eaten exercises ect. that you feel has helped you loose weight or tone up . I have lost ten pounds but have hit that ten pound wall . So from what I've read its time to change things up a bit. One of the things that helped me is when I found this site if I was getting close to my calories for the day I would plug in what I wanted to eat Before I ate it and if it was to much in carb or cal I ate something else. Excited to see what you are doing . I have gone from 143 to 133 goal is 120 and toned. This year I will be 40 so I'm going for the fabulous fit and forty look. I to... have admired those girls... at the gym who are over forty and look fantastic better bodies than some 20 year olds.

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Here's what is working for me:

* I've given up on diets and magic solutions - they simply don't work
    * I eat what I want when I'm hungry, enjoy it, and stop when I'm full
    * I seriously limit refined carbohydrates and try to stay hydrated
    * I try to incorporate some physical activity into my daily routine
    * I let my scale accumulate dust between weigh-ins
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbonated drinks. I just feel puffy and bloated now when I drink them.

Keeping almonds and veggies around for easy snacking.

Remembering to pack snacks in my purse. That way if I'm out and about I don't stop for fast food. The snack and bottle of water fills me up enough to finish my errands and get home.

Recognizing when I am actually hungry vs. bored or thirsty.
  • tazboy
    tazboy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Not binging at night, and keeping track of what i eat on a daily basis.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I sit a big glass of water by my bed. When I get up in the morning, the first thing I do is drink 16 oz of water. Then before each meal, I drink a glass of water. Sometimes you think you are hungry, but really you are thirsty!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have plenty of fruit and nuts for snacking.
  • angiezturn
    angiezturn Posts: 49
    Options
    My biggest issue was I DIDN't EAT!!! I would go until the afternoon before having anything more then coffee. By then, I would be so hungry and binge on items that packed on the weight. (Very bad food choices). What have I really done? I'm actually eating. I started losing weight and exercising prior to joining MFP. You all are very motivating.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My best advice is start running. If you cannot run then walk.After a while walk briskly. Try jogging. Jog, then walk then jog etc. It took me a year (used to smoke two packs of ciggys a day) but now I can run over 7 miles in one go.

The weight has really been coming off. I have lost 42 pounds so far.

Good luck!

-V-
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    When I hit a wall I dropped any carb that was not a fresh fruit or veggie. No breads or pastas for me at the moment and the scale started moving again. I am doing very little dairy as well-but I can't give up cheese completely.
  • superfitconball
    superfitconball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbonated drinks. I just feel puffy and bloated now when I drink them.

Keeping almonds and veggies around for easy snacking.

Remembering to pack snacks in my purse. That way if I'm out and about I don't stop for fast food. The snack and bottle of water fills me up enough to finish my errands and get home.

Recognizing when I am actually hungry vs. bored or thirsty.

Good idea! Will start doing that. When I'm out is the biggest risk. I get busy then get hungry and am tempted to eat the first thing I see. What sorts of snacks do you pack?
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    One of the best tips I saw on this site was, if you feel hungry for a snack, offer yourself some fresh vegetables instead of "junk food", if you don't want the fresh vegetables but you still want "junk food", you're not hungry, you're bored, go for a walk.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I like to have a treat now and again but dont want it sitting in the fridge tempting me. So I freeze things (like cupcakes, pie slices) in one serving amounts. Then if I want something I can fit in my numbers, I can take a serving out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge so its ready by the time I want to eat it (usually after dinner).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there are no "tricks." A mixture of cardio and heavy weights along with a reasonable food plan. The "trick" is sticking to the plan, laying off the junk, eating enough of the right calories, walking through the door of the gym, and giving each workout all I've got. No trick about it, just life.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are on the right track already:) imo! I think the best thing that has happened for me and is working in better in a few short days, is to customize my setting in MFP. I now do the same amount(approx. give or take)of exercise 3-5 days a week and eat a set amount each day, getting as close as I can to feeding myself enough to lose fat, hang onto or build more muscle and feel energized and just an all-around sense of confidence in what I am doing is going to be best for me:) I am halfway to 60 now and may sound silly to some but I do feel more fit and healthy then any other time in my life.

I am so glad to know there is actually a life for me no matter what age I get. Always something I can do each day for a calorie burning activity and fuel my body so that it yes, does get older but with as much quality of life as I can get;)

denise:drinker: :drinker: So glad you are here:):flowerforyou:
    Wanted to see what you have done , eaten exercises ect. that you feel has helped you loose weight or tone up . I have lost ten pounds but have hit that ten pound wall . So from what I've read its time to change things up a bit. One of the things that helped me is when I found this site if I was getting close to my calories for the day I would plug in what I wanted to eat Before I ate it and if it was to much in carb or cal I ate something else. Excited to see what you are doing . I have gone from 143 to 133 goal is 120 and toned. This year I will be 40 so I'm going for the fabulous fit and forty look. I to... have admired those girls... at the gym who are over forty and look fantastic better bodies than some 20 year olds.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just a lot of small steps really.
    I try to eat less prepackaged food, go out to eat less, and cook more.
    I started getting more exercise a little at a time.
    I drink a lot more water.
    Using measuring cups really helped me gauge portion sizes better, and tracking food has really helped me see what I 'actually' eat in a day.
    I stopped getting mad at myself for over doing it or eating something bad for me and started telling myself to just 'do better tomorrow.'
    I started eating smaller meals more often so I wouldn't get so hungry I would over do it when I did eat something.
    I stopped putting sugar in my tea, and stopped using as much butter/salt.
  • mizkitty22
    mizkitty22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't want to completely deprive myself of drinks with calories since I love fruit juice (100%) soooo much, so I try to make my only caloric beverage with breakfast. For any other meal, I drink water or the occasional green tea.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    There are no tricks. Just eat what you like, just less of it.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks for the tips!!
  • tastywhalebacon
    Options
    i leave myself little notes around the kitchen. pretty much saying eat this not that. i am also working on switching over to green tea and cutting out soda.
  • GymBunnyDG
    GymBunnyDG Posts: 31
    Options
    Whenever I feel hungry I down a glass of water. It's usually the case that I'm actually thirsty but just think I am hungry... and even if I was hungry, the water usually bloats me out and fills me up anyway!