adipex/phentermine

Options
Has anybody taken this diet pill? I know many people have had great success, just curious to hear some stories about it. How long were you on it, how much weight loss, side effects... Etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have not been on it but there was a thread last week on the phentermine. Maybe you can bring that up for more answers. Hope you find what you're looking for.
  • ohhjohnny
    ohhjohnny Posts: 7
    Options
    I was on it for 3 weeks. My aunt introduced it to me after taking it for a year and a half. She didn't take it the whole time, she forgot pills constantly and never exercised. But she lost weight and kept the weight off even after not taking it for months. And I don't mean 10lbs, she lost 30lbs.
    But back to my experience. I only stopped becuase I was pregnant, no other reason. I took one pill a day, in the morning and it was hard to eat. I had no appetite. The first day or two I felt shaky and dizzy at times. One time I took it and it stuck to the back of my throat I felt like I was in a movie where they speed things up, it was crazy. But after I started eating regularly, probably 3/4th day, I loved what it did. I had so much energy and I did exercise. I am really bad with cravings but I had so little appetite my 3 or 4 sodas a day went to MAYBE half of one. It was nice having the boost in energy and nice not being hungry. If I wasn't nursing I would totally take it again.
    ETA: with diet and exercise I lost 10lbs in three weeks. I was pregnant after so I van't tell you if it kept weight off though.
  • jmdoll1125
    Options
    I'm currently taking it right now. I'm just getting ready to start my second month. I lost 23 lbs the first month. I haven't had very many of the side effects at all. Some days I have dry mouth but I think thats a good thing because it reminds me to drink my water. As long as you take it earlier in the day you should be fine with sleeping. I take my every day around 1030 or 11 and I have never had any trouble going to sleep. I never felt shakey or felt like my heart was racing, but than again I don't like it gave me all that much energy. The first few weeks I took it I had a really hard time making myself it. I was not hungry at all and it was hard to force food down because I really didn't want it. For the last couple days i can tell that I'm a little hungrier than I was before but nothing that a glass of cold water can't fix. I'm really trying to eat and develop good habits that way when I go off of it I can maintain.

feel free to add me and ask me any questions
  • h2oophelia
    h2oophelia Posts: 48
    Options
    I've been on Phen for a little over a month and have lost 21 lbs. Of course that was combined with a controlled calorie, low carb/sugar, high protein diet along with exercise. I recommend it as long as you're changing your lifestyle along with it. The side effects I've experienced were a little jittery-ness in the beginning (that's resolved now) and dry mouth. Since it can affect blood pressure, I'm closely monitored by my doc.

Good luck to you!
  • RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    I was on Phentermine for 3 months, prescribed by my doctor, and lost 30 lbs with it. I joined this afterwards to keep it off and maybe lose some more!! It really helped me learn to eat better, I never had any of the side effects, and it really did curb my appetite. I have not gained anything back, in fact lost 11 more pounds and I was off the phentermine in march! It was a great jump start for me.
  • greenbean
    greenbean Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been on it. I can only take it for a short period of time for it causes anxiety, irritability and insominia. I think it is a great "jump" start...I lost like 13 pounds in 3 weeks. Most of your weight loss from the pills are in the begining as your body adapts to it pretty quickly. It does raise your blood pressure so if you go to the dr let him/her know or they may freak out that its high. I also noticed increased and clearer thinking on it...

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4151-phentermine+Oral.aspx?drugid=4151&drugname=phentermine+Oral&source=2
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I took adipex my senior year of high school- lost about 50 pounds kept it off till I got prego about 2 years later. It works for some but I have known people (like my mother) who lose while on it then shortly after go back to there old habits and gain even more back and its like a yo-yo take a pill lose weight then stop and gain ...............
  • Nicki1984
    Nicki1984 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was on adipex for 6 months and lost over 55lbs. Since stopping it I have continued to lose weight and have lost a total of 79lbs total so far :) I know the pill helped me with portion control and helped with carb cravings . Not addicting at all .
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    drink a lot of water! My sis lost like ..30 pounds. but she wasn't big to begin with.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I know some coworkers that claim that adipex has helped them, but they don't look any smaller to me.
  • mbanister1
    mbanister1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby May 2, he is our little miracle baby. I have a lot of hormone disorders and had to be on fertility meds for him. I gained 32 pounds with him and have lost all of the baby weight. I was about 40 pounds overweight before getting pregnant because of miscarriages.

I am a nurse, I am very aware of what the drug can do, I just wanted to hear some real stories from people that have taken the medication.

THank you to everybody! :)
  • claw0416
    claw0416 Posts: 95
    Options
    This is my thrid time taking it.. The first time was 5 years ago..BAD experience! My doctor just put me on it and did not educate me on what to expect or what I should be doing..SO needless to say...I stayed up for days, hair started falling out, shakey, my face and skin started looking very rough..I did lose 20 pounds, but that time after stoping I gained it back and more..
    My second time around..after gaining 90 pounds in one year..I went to a weightloss clinic..Best decision I ever made! My doctor there did the full bloodwork up, and went through my medical history. Then we went from there...I discovered that with my PCOS that I needed a little more structure to how I diet. She put me on Metformin for the PCOS, and then phentermine.. Only this time she stressede I must eat! and drink lots of water! not only to keep me hydrated but drinking water keeps your metabolism going, flushes fats, hydrates your hair, etc...She also said I need to take vitamins, and she broke down my meals into a higher protein, mild carb diet..That way my body was not crashing, from the phentermine..She also recomended me take half my phentermine early in the morning, and then mid afternoon take the second half, that way I had a choice. If I was still energized around 1 pm then hold hopld on the second half..drink more water and have an apple..that bit of sugar from the apple would boost my energy level without putting me ovee the top and staying up all night..It actually worked! Anyway..I did a month and a half...lost 30 pounds and have yet to gain that abck..I stopped due to getting pnuemonia
    (couldn't mix meds with inhalers and meds to treat pnumonia) anyway after getting sick money was tight and could not afford to continue buying the pills and seeing the weightloss doctor..

so two years later I am starting again...Different doctor unfortunalty. but same game plan..I have all my material from the last time to help me. I have been on it this time since last saturday...no bad side effects..I am taking half a pill each day and depending on my body will take the second half later..This way my body is notting getting used to a high dose so quickly and then stop working later.. I have something to build up to, and hopefully stay on it a little longer and continue to work..
  • midge69
    midge69 Posts: 22
    Options
    I started taking adipex in March but not seriously yet.. I take them every other a day and half at a time I have lost right around 10 pounds since then, but now I am more serious about it I have lost six of that in the last few weeks.. I was scared to take them because if anything speeds your heart up I think it is unsafe
  • bsnmomtomany
    bsnmomtomany Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have taken it several times. It seems to help less and less. I lost 40 lbs the first time. I have now lost 28# after 6 kids with diet and exercise alone. I feel so much better doing it this way then on phen. Although I did think it helped the first time i took it.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was on it for about 2 weeks and then on a not as strong one for about a month (on an off since I forgot to take many days).

Phentremine I couldn't sleep on. I mean no sleep. I even cut out all caffeine on Doctors recommendations. It gave me a "high" I didn't like either. I liked that I didn't feel hungry and had to force myself to eat but no sleep is so not fun.

The other was about half the potency of Phentremine. I still couldn't sleep much. After about a month my hair started falling out (I guess that is one of the side effects) so I stopped that and won't try any others.

I think that those meds are good for the first few weeks to help someone get going but I don't think they should be used long term. Just my thoughts as I am certainly not a Doctor.