Which piece of exercise equipment would YOU buy?

Options
If you could only buy one piece of exercise equipment for your home, what would you choose, and why?

Treadmill?
Elliptical?
Rowing machine?
Stationary bike?
Something else?

I'm leaning towards elliptical, but would love some input!

Replies

• leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical!
    I've run on treadmills before, and I just never really got into it.
    With the elliptical, I never experience joint pain when on it, which is great because I have knee issues.
    I enjoy cross country skiing and the motion is very very similar to it.

If I were to buy another piece of equipment, it would most likely be a rowing machine of some type.

But I guess it's to each their own!!
    Cheers :)
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Which of these have you tried and what did you like best? Which one do you think you would use regularly? Do you have any issues such as knee pain to consider? I have a treadmill for those times when I just can't get outside for a run. I also have a trainer for my bike so I can do that indoors as well. I would love an elliptical, but I'm out of room :smile:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, an Eliptical machine. They are quiet, and I currently have a treadmill which makes a lot of noise. Living in an apartment on the second floor can cause problems with other tenants. I haven't used it much, and feel I get a better workout with the eliptical both for cardiovascular and upper body with the handles that I use at the gym. I have been looking at them lately to purchase someday.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Something else?

Squat rack, bench & olympic weight set & a nice room to store it all in :) YAY.

Russ
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill currently. If it fails I will probably replace it with an elliptical. I have arthritis and my rheumatologist says an elliptical isn't as hard on the joints as a treadmill.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Something else?

^^^^^This.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Only one piece of equipment? Power rack for sure. If you want to do cardio you can always go outside and run. No replacement for a good power rack though.
  • lostwisdom
    lostwisdom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Deffo an elliptical! I used to use my old neighbours' one loads, they're so fun! Not sure I'd have any room for it in my one bed flat though lol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Only one piece of equipment? Power rack for sure. If you want to do cardio you can always go outside and run. No replacement for a good power rack though.

I'm with the power rack crowd! Single most usefull and versatile piece of fitness equipment.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Probably a rowing machine. Although TRX suspension is quite tempting.
  • jimk73
    jimk73 Posts: 2
    Options
    Great question.....Over the years I have had a very good TM, Stationary Bikd cucuit trainer and a couple others I can't remember but that being said, I believe for me I prefer the new Octaine Seated Elliptical Trainer. It's a fantastic piece of equipment and the level of exercise you desire is up to you. I still have the S bike and use it once in a while.
    JimK73
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    toss up between spin bike and treadmill! hmm still deciding, lol
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Something else?

Russ

This^^^^^
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I once thought I wanted an elliptical so I tried them in gyms and found they make my toes numb. So glad I tried them first.

So I bought a treadmill. They're statistically the most used home cardio machine.

But what I recommend most for home cardio (besides getting outdoors) is a JumpSport rebounder, or another brand with bungee cords. It's versatile, silent, much cheaper than machines, easy to move around the house or stow, and fun.

For strength? Two kettlebells, large. :happy:
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Something else?

Russ

Got this!

I need some heavy adjustable dumbells
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What I did buy recently was a weight bench and barbell set. I can do cardio outside and I'd rather run in a downpour or snowstorm than set foot on a treadmill ever again. If I was absolutely going to buy something for cardio, it would be a mountain bike, and maybe a stand so I could use it as a stationary if needed.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    An elliptical would be a wise and popular choice, but I also kinda like the rowing machines. I like that it incorporates EVERYTHING... your legs, thighs, calves, arms, shoulders, back, and even your core. Granted, some elliptical machines have arm movement as well, but it doesn't really REQUIRE it to move the machine. With a rowing machine, using your arms is a must, and your core is continually stimulated as well. It gets me sweating up a storm after 5 minutes, whereas the elliptical would take me 30 minutes or more to break a huge sweat. :)

BUT... it comes down to what you like and what you would use. :)

Love and alohas,
    ihilani Kapuniai
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I could afford it. Concept 2 rower, a weight rack up to 300lbs for now, and a sturdy pull up bar that I could attach rings to for rows as I cannot do a pull up yet.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Power rack with pullup bar and dip station attachments, adjustable bench, oly bar, weight plates
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I'm with the power rack crowd! Single most usefull and versatile piece of fitness equipment.

Yup. I would have one if we had the room!