can you recover from a bad day?

Options
If you overate or binged yesterday, can you make up that overage the following day? for example, if I overate my 1340 calories on Saturday, by say, 500 calories...the next day (today, Sunday) should I eat 500 less? Don't ask me to exercise off 500 calories, cause it just isn't possible today. Just a question.......

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. It might be more realistic to shoot for a weekly total or daily average.
  • Andromeda173
    Options
    According to the numbers you could, but I wouldn't if I were you.
    I've found that restricting calories following a binge just sets you up for a binge-then-starve-then-binge-again cycle, which is really not good for you, health-wise or emotionally.

Just tell yourself you'll do better. If you can't exercise today, then do it tomorrow. Just try not to feel guilty, or like you've failed.
    If it will make you feel less guilty, then consider it. It won't hurt you, as long as it doesn't become a habit.

Every day is a new day! :D
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    What plan does MFP have you on? If it's one pound a week then you technically shouldn't have gained anything from overeating 500 calories. That is just your maintenance calories. If you have it set to lose two pounds a week then you still didn't eat your maintenance calories. If you don't have it set to lose anything you overate a bit, however that is a very low number MFP set for you so I doubt this is the case.

I think of things in a weekly, not a daily average. It's been working great for me that way. On days I don't feel like eating much I don't, and then on days I want to splurge, I can.

I love that MFP helps us keep track so that we know we're not splurging too much ;)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    best way, ( my experience ) is to get back at it today. Yesterday is gone. One bad day will not make a real difference. Never eat less than recommended. 500 calories over, once in a while is human. We err! It'll equalize itself. Pat yourself on the back for being here.
    keep us posted. We're in this together. :flowerforyou:
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My quick answer is forgive yourself for the day and move on... this is a process that will take time and you really shouldn't worry about one day other than to review it and see how you can avoid doing it again in the future..... A more complete answer may require a bit more information as to how close your target is to your Basal Metabolic Rate... In my opinion, you should generally avoid eating much under this... if 500 less is likely to drop you to a very low calorie range for the day, I'd avoid it and it certainly looks that way - Eating at 1340 would suggest a day at 840 - I wouldn't personally do that since I would HATE that day - I'd feel deprived and that isn't the point in my eating well - and I don't believe it is necessary.

Really for one day, my advice is... relax...

Sure, If you really want to, catch back up, if you insist, but I'd suggest you do so over the next few days... say 100 less calories a day... or..., forgive yourself and move on. This isn't a process about a single day, but a process to string together a lot of great days.

Good luck in your journey!
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have bad days here and there, I just say whoops and get back on track the next day. As long as you aren't having a bad day every day or every other day then you should be fine. Once in awhile isn't going to hurt, get back on track the next day and move on.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and forgive yourself. You will get back on track. Along with me. :)
  • niceMarly
    niceMarly Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice!! I really will NOT beat myself up over yesterday, cause it's really the first time I ever "splurged" in nearly six months....and I"m ready to make today a better day! I think I will do as Jamie suggested...and just cut back 100 calories for the next three days, and I am planning on exercising (swmming) tomorrow! MFP set me at 1340 cal/day to lose 2 lb. per week...but if I don't lose that much I'm not really upset......I have no thyroid (thank you Big C) and know my metabolism is kinda wonky! As long as I don't gain!!!!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    geez thanks the world ends tomorrow!!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it doesn't happen very often, just eat at your goals for the next day. Move on and get on with it.