To weigh or not to weigh???

Options
So...I have to confess I am a habitual daily weigher (sometimes more than once a day!). The problem is that I become too emotional over what I read on the scale in that moment. If my number is down, I am thrilled. If my number is up...I feel let down and discouraged. I am really trying to only weigh once a week...but when I see that scale each morning I want to see what it says. Anyone else out there with the same ridiculous problem???

Replies

• karaharrison2012
    karaharrison2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes I find myself doing the same thing , and get very discouraged if I see the number rise .
  • pricklysweet
    pricklysweet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    right with you! I just threw my scale away...........too tempting. I go by what I can wear. Yes, I do cheat once or twice if I see a scale, but it isn't too bad. I know what size I need to wear to look good - Exercise is the devil, but it's the only way to go. Just so boring!
  • trich33702
    trich33702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I'm going to move it to my bathroom on the ground floor. That way I have to walk down two flights of scales to get to it. Weighing daily several times a day is discouraging and I just can't seem to resist the urge to step on it when I'm in there. I suggest moving it out of your main bathroom.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would say, if you're so emotionally invested in the number, then really try not to weight every day. I weigh every day (only once!) but it no longer bothers me when the number goes up instead of down. My weight fluctuates day to day. I know that if I'm eating right and exercising - the scale still might go up, but it's not a fat gain, so I don't worry about it. :smile: In the long run, you'd be a lot more relaxed about it if you could learn not to get discouraged over the ups and downs. For now though, maybe it's best to weigh less often. The scale is only one tool. Take measurements, take photos, and judge how you're doing by how well your clothes fit. And you're definitely not the only person that feels like this!
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have to force myself to use the bathroom downstairs during the day because I will weigh myself if I see our scale. Like you I am thrilled when the number goes down and feel defeated when it changes. I am of no help though with what to do because I have the same problem.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think at some point, we all go through that! I have. Right now I am on a scale boycott. I took the scale and put it in the closet. If it is not staring at me everytime I go into the bathroom, I am able to stay away. I don't worry about it because I know that I am eating in line and exercising. It has helped. I am not ruled by the scale.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I would say, if you're so emotionally invested in the number, then really try not to weight every day. I weigh every day (only once!) but it no longer bothers me when the number goes up instead of down. My weight fluctuates day to day. I know that if I'm eating right and exercising - the scale still might go up, but it's not a fat gain, so I don't worry about it. :smile: In the long run, you'd be a lot more relaxed about it if you could learn not to get discouraged over the ups and downs. For now though, maybe it's best to weigh less often...
    ^ This. I weigh daily, but I understand there will be fluctuations and I shrug them off. If seeing those daily fluctuations bother/discourage you that much, it would probably be best to put the scale away and only weigh weekly (or maybe even less often - bi-weekly or monthly).
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    To my mind, the best answer for you is to throw out the darn scale. It's a terrible tool for helping you understand the changes you are making in your the amount of fat and muscle your body is carrying around. Measuring yourself and tracking your body fat percentages will tell you more about what's going on with your body. Here are some body fat calculators that will help get you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools

I'll underscore what others have said about the day-to-day fluctuations you see on the bathroom scale. If you ARE going to weigh yourself, then keep a daily record and only "care" about the average weight over the last seven to ten days, ignoring the daily number.

But if you're going to worry about the day-to-day number, you're much better off getting rid of the scale, and focusing on body fat percentages instead.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issues. I have my husband hide the scale. Literally. And once a month he gets it for me and I weigh myself. I have even tried to find it, my obsession is so bad, but, luckily, he's very cunning! :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and just before bed. That way I know what to expect the following day. I only record weekly now, but without weighing I would feel out of control.
  • LauraRN88
    LauraRN88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I weigh myself a couple of times a day and the trouble is you don't really notice the weight coming off. I'm trying really hard to only weigh once a week now.
  • melbrown22
    melbrown22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am SO so glad that I am not alone with this!!! Thanks for the suggestions, and I am going to ask my husband to hide the scale! Please feel free to add me as a friend...:wink:
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I way myself once a week 'officially' but monitor daily. My approach is to record any new lows throughout the week (this gives me motivation). I ignore/don't record any upward fluctuations and i dont get disheartened I just use them as motivation to have a 'good' day with less naughty that day, to try to beat my last 'low' weight so that I am back on track in time for weekly weighin. So I find daily weighing for me, is actually very motivating and rewarding.