there is sugar in EVERYTHING!

Options
Lmezz11
Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
HELP HELP HELP!

I am having a HUGE issue controlling my sugar intake! I drink the Naked brand Green Machine every morning (just one serving) for all the super good nutrients in it, but that seems to take up all my sugar allowance for the day. Then there is everything else throughout the day that seems to have bits of sugar here and there... by the time everything is entered and counted I have more than doubled my sugar allowance! And I am trying not to consume refined sugar. It's the natural sugar in fruits and such that are KILLING MY COUNT! Is there a difference between natural sugar and processed sugars? Am I the only one having a huge issue with this? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in natural fruit sugars and refined, so don't worry too much about being high so long as you're not eating processed food. I love those Green Machines too! But they are hella high in sugar it's true. Try making your own green smoothies so you can control the sugar level. Add some banana and leafy greens to your blender with a few other things and you got yourself a homemade green machine.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    You are not alone! I've been having the same problem. I have a hard time eating enough calories in the day, and have been supplementing with nutritional shakes. The problem? They are LOADED with sugar. They're delicious and I imagine a lot of the calories in them (which is what I like about them)do come from the sugar, I'd just prefer not to ingest so much in a day. I'm looking into better alternatives before I try to wean myself off them completely.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    HELP HELP HELP!

I am having a HUGE issue controlling my sugar intake! I drink the Naked brand Green Machine every morning (just one serving) for all the super good nutrients in it, but that seems to take up all my sugar allowance for the day. Then there is everything else throughout the day that seems to have bits of sugar here and there... by the time everything is entered and counted I have more than doubled my sugar allowance! And I am trying not to consume refined sugar. It's the natural sugar in fruits and such that are KILLING MY COUNT! Is there a difference between natural sugar and processed sugars? Am I the only one having a huge issue with this? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

There's a big difference between natural sugars IN FRUIT and fake sugars or sugars from things like juice and processed smoothies. Those smoothies are NOT healthy - ditch them and eat some actual fruit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit is better because you get the fiber in it. Those Naked smoothies are ok once in a while, but fresh fruit is better. Try limited your fruit to 2 servings per day and see if that helps.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    First - stop panicking! Sugar is a good source of energy and it isn't the end of the world to eat some, the trick is just to look at how it fits into your day and to make your diary balance out.

Second - I have no idea what a "green machine......" is - but if it is full of sugar and that is sending you over, then you can probably find a better choice for breakfast. Try having eggs (an omelette with tomato, spinach,cheese and mushrooms is delicious and only takes a few minutes to cook. Or have porridge (oatmeal) made from real oats (no ready to eat packets) with added fruit for sweetness. You'll still get some sugar but it comes from dairy and fruit so brings good nutrition with it. Or eat soup or leftovers or whatever else you like for breakfast - basically anything but a sugary processed drink (which I'm guessing is what you're having).

Personally I don't get too bothered by the sugar in low fat dairy and fruit and veggies - yes, it's still sugar but you are getting it in a package with nutrients, fibre etc so that works fine for me.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between natural sugars IN FRUIT and fake sugars or sugars from things like juice and processed smoothies. Those smoothies are NOT healthy - ditch them and eat some actual fruit.

She hit the nail on the head. Anything in its natural form is healthier than after we process it. I rarely eat anything processed and because of that, sugar is not an issue for me. I've learned a lot during this weight loss journey (125 pounds down now) and I can tell you, I'm glad I gradually removed the processed food. Now that I have what I consider "Supreme control" over my diet, I do occasionally add something back in....like I'm cheerios kick lately. I had to have everything completely under control before I could do that. Try ditching the smoothie and see how you do for a day. .....and then decide if it was worth it, either having the smoothie or not having it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in natural fruit sugars and refined, so don't worry too much about being high so long as you're not eating processed food. I love those Green Machines too! But they are hella high in sugar it's true. Try making your own green smoothies so you can control the sugar level. Add some banana and leafy greens to your blender with a few other things and you got yourself a homemade green machine.

lol que

Care to explain the huge difference between them?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options

lol que

Care to explain the huge difference between them?

Am ready to process... wait that's probably not good so... Learn. I'm ready to learn :)