zucchini

Options
cateyjo
cateyjo Posts: 108
Anyone have any good zucchini recipes? Just got some and looking for new ideas.

Replies

• chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    Zucchini bread/muffins

Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup wheat flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    3 eggs
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2C brown sugar
    3 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4unsweetened applesauce
    3 cups grated zucchini

Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Sift together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, baking powder.
    3.Beat eggs. Add and mix well sugar, vanilla, and oil, applesauce. Add zucchini to egg mixture. Add dry ingredients, mixing well. . Pour into 2 ungreased loaf pans or muffin tins with liners

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour for loaves

Muffins 18-20 mins

25 muffins

Total recipe:
    Calories 3359
    carbs 609
    fat 72
    protein 72
    fiber 26

Per Serving: calories 134 carbs, 24 fat 3 protein 3 fiber 1
  • asaunders1981
    Options
    I have used zucchini in place of the noodles in lasagne...really great way to cut major calories/carbs. But my favorite way to eat it is to cut it lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven. A couple minutes before taking it out, sprinkle just a bit of parmesan cheese and let it melt (even better, turn on the broiler and let the cheese and the top of the zucchini brown/crisp a bit).
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    We also love the skinnytaste zucchini pancakes http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/zucchini-pancakes-225-pts.html
  • cateyjo
    Options
    Thanks, sounds good.
  • cateyjo
    Options
    Zucchini tots sound amazing....gonna try them tonight with supper
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I got this off of here the other day! It was truly fantasic, it is now a family favorite. Who needs PASTA!!!!!!

Zuchinni Pasta........24calories!
    A 150g portion of pasta might have 300-400 plus calories where as 150g of zuchinni only has 24! It's also really good at taking on and absorbing all the other flavors!

Basic zuchinni 'pasta' recipe!

150g zuchinni (I found this was enought for a medium bowl/average portion)

1 tbsp oil ( I used spray oil to reduce calories,adjust accordingly)

Any flavorings garlic/ginger/salt etc... (I used ginger puree,yum!)

1.Heat oil in a large pan over a medium heat.Add any flavorings.garlic to the pan and then the zuchinni,stir fry until golden and crispy (about 3 minutes)

2.Remove from heat and add topping of your choosing (marinara sauce/chicken etc...)

I hope this helps! A big thanks goes out to littlefreckle for this one!
  • MollDoll81
    MollDoll81 Posts: 43
    Options
    http://annies-eats.com/2009/09/21/stuffed-zucchini-boats/

Please make these. These were AMAZING!!! I used am extra lean turkey breakfast sausage and fell head over heels in love with this. Took some leftovers to work and made new friends. :happy:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Want to watch this......we have tons of little zucchini's coming in the garden, will need ideas to use them up!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, hit foodgawker.

http://foodgawker.com/?s=zucchini

This one's on my "to try" list for either this week or next week...
    http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/stuffed-zucchini
    2963593409_d6acf25931.jpg
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Pinterest, have not made it yet though. I would make a few changes to make it calorie friendly, but it sounds oh so good

Feta & Parmesan Zucchini Bake
    (recipe adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen)
    6-7 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash
    2 Tb canola oil
    2 Tb minced garlic
    2 tsp dried thyme
    4 eggs
    2/3 C light sour cream
    1 C crumbled feta cheese
    1/2 C fresh parmesan cheese
    2 Tb lemon juice
    salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a large casserole dish with nonstick spray.
    2. Slice the squash into 1/4" slices. If they are larger squash, cut them down the middle before slicing. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the squash, garlic and thyme. Saute and stir just until the squash is starting to soften slightly. Don't cook too long or it will be mushy after it bakes in the oven. Remove from the heat.
    3. Beat together the eggs, sour cream, cheeses and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl. Place half of the squash into the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper (remember the cheeses are salty!) then spread 1/2 of the egg mixture over the top. Repeat with remaining squash and egg mixture.
    4. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and slightly
    5. Serve hot
  • cateyjo
    Options
    Found this one the other day. Sprinkled a little crushed red pepper flakes on it. It was really good.

RECIPE for EASY-EASY ROASTED ZUCCHINI
    Hands-on time: 10 minutes
    Time to table: 40 minutes
    Serves 4

1 pound zucchini, about 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, halved or quartered lengthwise, cut into four-inch lengths
    1 onion, sliced into lengths and separated
    2 cloves chopped garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425F. For extra-easy clean-up, cover a baking sheet with foil and top with zucchini, onions and garlic. Drizzle with oil, then use your hands to cover the zucchini and onions with oil. Sprinkle with pepper. If the oven's not fully preheated, go ahead and put the zucchini in anyway. Bake for the remaining time to preheat plus 15 minutes, stir the zucchini and then bake for another 15 minutes. Good hot or at room temperature.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Slice Cukes or Zucchini thin, slice a small red onion as thin as possible and set aside. In a big bowl combine 1/2-3/4 cup red wine vinegar, 3 (not packed) tbsp of brown sugar, 1 tsp garlic, 1 cup warm water, 2 tbsp italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste and 1/4 cup diced pimetoes. Mix well, drop in sliced cukes and red onion and let it sit for a few hours then dig in. You can keep adding to it for about 4-5 days then start a new batch. Works great with Zucchini and Yellow straight neck squash too.
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    I just slice my zucchini up and put some olive oil on it and throw it in the microwave for a few minutes.... Yummy. I never tried any other recipes.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    visit Emily Bites blog page for some amazing recipes! i recently made the zucchini tots, they were fantastic and i just bought more zucchini to make another batch!!!
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Potato Zucchini Mash

3 lbs. potatoes
    3/4 c. milk
    2 c. chopped zucchini
    1/3 c. chopped green onion
    salt and pepper to taste
    Peel, cook, and drain potatoes. I cooked mine in a pressure cooker, but use whatever method you normally use for mashed potatoes. While the potatoes are cooking, combine the milk, zucchini, and green onion in a small saucepan. Heat to a simmer, cover and cook 5 – 10 minutes until the zucchini is soft. Use a hand masher to mash the zucchini mixture. Add this along with salt and pepper to the potatoes and mash the potatoes with a hand masher or electric

Baked Zucchini Sticks

2 small-medium zucchinis, unpeeled, ends trimmed and cut into 3 inch sticks 1 tablespoon salt 1 cup panko style bread crumbs (I used kinnikinnick gluten-free) 1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I didn’t really measure, just guessed) 1 tablespoon pizza seaoning (Italian Seasoning would also work) 2 large eggs about 1/2 cup cornstarch
    Preheat oven to 425 (if you have a convection setting use it). Line a baking sheet with silpat mat or parchement (or at least grease it really well).
    Place the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl (or in the sink) and sprinkle evenly with salt. Allow to set for at least 15 minutes (and up to an hour). Rinse zucchini with water and allow to drain.
    In a shallow dish or bowl, combine panko, Parmesan, and pizza seasoning.
    In another shallow container, add eggs and lightly beat.
    In yet another shallow container add cornstarch.
    Dredge a few zucchini sticks at a time in cornstarch, then egg, then crumb mixture. (As the mixture gets wet, I noticed I had to press the crumbs onto the zucchini to make it stick). Place on prepared sheet.
    Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and crisp, about 12-15 minutes (I like them crisp-tender; but they could be cooked a few minutes longer if you prefer them soft). I don’t need to turn these, but I have a convection setting on my oven, so you might want to watch these and turn if needed.
    Serve immediately with a marinara sauce or an onion dip.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    A friend made these the other night and said they were delicious I'm going to try them this week. Now I want to try all these other recipes, though! Decisions decisions! My mom made an awesome zucchini lasagna with the zucchini as noodles when I was a kid. That's the reason I started eating zucchini. :smile:

http://allpatchedupquilts.blogspot.com/2012/07/zucchini-cakes.html?m=1
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump! just got home from vaca and my garden is overflowing with zucchini. I don't know what I can do with it all.
  • HeyHeyLynn
    HeyHeyLynn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In skillet, warm 1 T olive oil.

Add: (Vary amounts depending on what you like and/or have on hand)
    1 zucchini, sliced
    1 summer squash, sliced
    1/2 8 oz pkg whole mushrooms, sliced
    1/4 yellow onion, diced
    1/4 green pepper, diced
    1-2 tomatoes, sliced

Season with basil, oregano, seasoned pepper and garlic salt to taste.
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump