advice...

Options
alright guys, i'm new to myfitnesspal and i guess i'm writing this for 2 reasons:
1. to make some new friends that i can join in on this weight loss journey
2. i'm a bit anxious and nervous.

i guess the first reasons pretty self explanatory but i ask for anyone and everyone regardless of age or fitness level to please add me because i'm one of those people that start out a project or ordeal with insurmountable enthusiasm but it slowly dies out. and i know theres others like me and i want all of us to bolster and support and push each other through this rigorous ordeal.

secondly, i weigh about 222lbs as of july 22, 2012, i'm 5'10 and i want to be around 160170. with tht said i have about 50-60 lbs to go but i guess i'm nervous or worried that even if i lose this weight i wont look much better....i dont know i guess this is just me being naive or a scared little boy who hasnt experienced much of life.

my diet is going well, eating at a caloric deficit, working out consistently. trying to keep my carbs below 200, and fats below 50 while my protein over 90 a day at about 1500 - 1700 calories. right now my workout plan is that i have a full body strength training workout one day where i try to do a lot of quick efficient sets with limited rest periods for 75 minutes. and the next day i do some cardio to burn off 400 calories. i'm usually on a treadmill on an incline of 9 and walking at a 3 mph pace for 35-45 minutes.

with these stats and plans do you guys think i could safely lose 60 lbs in 10 months (my birthday is april 17 and tht is also my goal date) and see differences in my body (smaller waist, and losing fat all over my body pretty much)

thank you sooo much everyone!!!!! and goodluck!!

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations for having the courage to take back control over your body and life! It's a lt of hard work, but totally worth it!!

I am not overly fitness how to savvy, so I cannot answer your questions with any know how - but if you wanna add me, il cheer you on your way! I too tend to start strong and then fizzle - so lets keep each other going.

There's a lot of advice available on these boards, take it with a grain of salt and double check your info.

Welcome here!
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. I had almost the same journey. Really close stats. I'm 5'9 -Novemeber 2011 I was at 215 lbs - as of today I'm at 170 lbs and feel the best I have ever felt. So I definitely think it's possible to hit your goal. I encourage you to go after it! Glad to provide any help/support.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'll pitch in here....I'm sure you'll get lots of other input (Some good and some bad - you get to discern which is which :0 )

To start with, 6 Pounds a month is likely do-able... it does depend on how well your adherence is, how closely your starting estimates match up with what your body needs, etc etc etc... - The key for me is... and I think the approach you should take is...if you do your best between now and then, you'll look and feel better than you do now... if you make 45Lbs by then do you really think you will feel bad? I'm guessing you'll recognize you have a bit longer to go, but be pleased with the progress and you *will* feel much better than you do today. Having said that, I suspect you can make it if you stay focused.

And yes, you absolutely can do this. Many many people here can attest that you can lose your weight and learn how to keep it off without feeling like weight loss is a bit of magic hocus-pocus, mixed with strange food combinations and mysterious "secrets" that have been kept hidden. Count your Calories.... Calories In Vs. Calories is what it is all about. Skip the gimmicks, cleanses, etc etc etc.

Having said that - you want to watch that you do eat enough - There is a balance to be achieved between eating too few calories and too many. Too few impacts a lot of things, including where your body goes to for it's energy - if too large a deficit, your body will deplete more muscle tissue which you obviously want to maintain and there are a lot of other negative adaptations to a low calorie intake that you want to avoid.

At 1700 Calories, If I have your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) correct (somewhere around 2050-2200) - You are potentially a bit light on the calories. - Particularly if you are not eating your exercise calories back.

Add me if I can be helpful.
  • commanderswag
    Options
    @AfitJamie
    well sir i try my best to eat back most of the calories i burn off during exercise. however its just that i lost about 8 pounds since i went on this semi low carb and low fat diet with a caloric deficit on july 16, 2012. i know that it is extremely unhealthy to do so and that a large amount of this was probably water and glycogen. i wanna keep it at a 6lb/ month loss because i'm not really worried about the weight but the actual fat itself. recently one of my friends lost 30lbs however, he had got some what "Flabby" per say and i would assume it was because he lacked the proper nutrition and because he lost the weight fairly quick.

do you feel that keeping it at a 6lb/ month weight loss (with far better nutrition and exercise) would leave me at the same state 10 months down the road?
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A few additional thoughts...

Agree that you want it to be a healthy process. One of the reasons you want to make sure it is a reasonable pace is that if you create too large a calorie deficit your body will consume a greater amount of muscle than if you lose your weight at a slower pace. To help retain muscle, work out - including strength training, and be sure you consume enough protein.

As for the 'flabby' comment.. It could be a number of things... It is possible that the weight loss has been rapid enough that his skin has not had the time to adapt. Excess skin can deplete over time and it appears to be genetic as to how effectively your body adapts - I'm no expert, but it seems many people lose a lot of weight and do continue to have excess skin post loss and many have their skin slowly adapt to their deceased size.... In any case it doesn't appear to happen really quickly. If you are slower in your loss, and depending on how your skin adapts - but I suspect your age will help a lot in this - you may avoid too much of a problem with this. Regardless, you will look and feel much better even if you do have some residual excess skin for a while.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hi! welcome

meeting your goal is feasible, but there's pretty much going to be some trial and error, as you find what's healthy and what works for you. you've already received some good advice above, not all that you receive will be good or work for you, just keep logging in and educating yourself!