Is losing 9lb in 6 weeks a realistic goal?

Options
I have a family wedding to attend in 6 weeks time, I need to lose 9lbs for my outfit to fit me. I'm just wondering if 9lbs in 6 weeks is a realistic goal that I can actually achieve?

Replies

• RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I typically loose 7-10 lbs a month eating around 1500 calories NET.

It's very possible, but 9 lbs sounds very random, how do you know you have to loose that amount of weight?
  • meredith707
    Options
    It's a healthy goal to aim for...if you eat right and exercise every day I think it is VERY realistic. It's healthy to lose 1.5-2 lb/per week. A quick trick is to consume a lot of water. Fun fact - if you are dehydrated you body gives you hunger pangs so you eat but if you drink a bottle of water you won't be as hungry!

Good luck!
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    9 pounds, 6 weeks, no problem.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Depending on how serious you are. I drop an average for 5-6 pounds per week. I realize as a male my metabolism is different, but it can be done.

I ...

-Walk at least 4 miles every day
    -Only drink water and unsweetened tea
    -Cut out all fried foods
    -Cut out mayo and ketchup
    -Drink as much water as I can tolerate
    -Never eat after 8pm
    -Shoot for eating 5-6 meals per day and the 1200-1400 calorie mark.
    -Eat a lot of veggies and healthy proteins
    -Stopped eating Dairy (that's the hardest one)
  • miamimanni
    miamimanni Posts: 23
    Options
    about 1 and 1/2 pounds a week you have to loose each week.
    5250 calories need to be burned each week for that to happen.

Do your diet right. No sweets, no soda, drink water only. I would avoid orange juice too.
    Also make sure to include cooking oil when you enter food into myfitnesspal, makes a big difference.

And do 1 hour of cardio every day, you can absolutely reach it.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It sounds do-able...But since you only have 6 weeks, you will have to be very precise with your food measurements.
  • milliereid
    milliereid Posts: 21
    Options
    Wow thankyou so much for all of your responses!! I don't exactly know how much it is I need to lose its just my estimation, over the next 6 weeks I'll be putting my outfit on and play it by ear by how it's fitting me over the course of the 6 weeks. Thankyou so much for all of your tips on weight loss, I feel super motivated now!!!

Thanks again :)
  • pjbrundage
    pjbrundage Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks and I am not depriving myself of food. I am just eating the right foods, drinking lots of water, & exercising.

22672460.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • milliereid
    Options
    I must admit I'm not the biggest drinker of water, how much water should be drank in a day?
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That's pretty realistic. As long as you aren't really close to your ideal weight that is. The closer I get to my ideal the slower the weight it coming off. Might just be me though. Good luck!
  • milliereid
    Options
    Thankyou :) Good luck to you too!
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm not the biggest drinker of water, how much water should be drank in a day?

You should drink at least 8 cups of water a day.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options

8 cups, more if you can possibly tolerate. Your body will adjust to the increase in water in a few days, so dont let the frequent bathroom trips put you off at first.
  • mandi1020
    mandi1020 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For water, my doctor said that you should be drinking half your weight in ounces.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I used to lose 3lbs per week, but I was eating a silly amount of calories. Though with a good amount of calories and exercise its entirely possible.
  • Andariese
    Andariese Posts: 2
    Options
    Depending on your weight, yes. If you've got the weight to lose or even 'vanity weight.' Then, I'd say yes. If you have a lower BMI/ weight... I'd suggest not doing it.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    For water, my doctor said that you should be drinking half your weight in ounces.

I drink this, if not more. 64 ounces really isn't that much. I'd aim for more like a gallon
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

^^^ This! Good luck!
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    Stick tightly to a 1200 diet which is probably what this site will recommend for you (as a woman) and it can be done easily. BUT DON'T CHEAT AT ALL or you will mess it up and not lose the weight.
  • timd50
    timd50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    8 cups of water, but that includes the water everything you eat and drink as well. Anyone who tells you different is using the water more as a satiety trick then a health thing.