Alli... For People Who aren't That Overweight? Thoughts?

Options
I've read threads and reviews about Alli, the weightloss supplement... but I never hear much about people who aren't very overweight trying it. I want to try it, but I only have 10-15 lbs to lose. I eat healthy and exercise most of the time but I'm not losing weight, it usually stays in the same range, give or take 3 lbs. Opinions?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a treatment for obesity, which is maybe why you haven't heard much about people who aren't obese trying it. Honestly, the side effects of it don't appeal to me AT ALL. Even if I was prepared to put up with them, which I'm not, it's not something that is going to be part of a long-term healthy lifestyle. Maybe it would work, but then what happens when you stop taking it and go back to "normal"? How are you going to keep the weight off then?

When you only have a little bit to lose, it's really not necessary to resort to drastic measures that might negatively impact your health. Diet and exercise really are the best ways.

When you say you eat healthy most of the time - are you measuring your food accurately and logging consistently? I notice it looks like you joined MFP this month. Have you been counting calories before then? Maybe you need to give it a bit more time. Perhaps you're not eating the right amount of calories. When you set up MFP, how much did you say you want to lose a week? (2 lbs is probably not realistic for your current weight). Do you actually need to lose weight? I don't know if your profile pic is recent but, as much as I can see of you, you look like you're a healthy weight. Maybe rather than losing weight you would want to change your body composition? What kind of exercise do you do? Are you doing any strength training? Strength training is great for burning fat and becoming leaner.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If you're at a healthy weight, I don't think Alli's going to help you. It works by having people limit their fat grams to 15 per meal, if I recall correctly. You can do that without Alli. At that level, the effects of Alli (removing fat from the body before it can be digested), don't kick in. So all it's doing is giving you an incentive to stick to your plan. If you don't, you will get some digestive affects. At least that's how I understood it. I tried a bottle but I try everything, just because I like to learn about it. :ohwell:
  • tamimac12
    tamimac12 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm considered obsese, and I would never use Alli... anything that would cause leakage isn't for me! I'd rather be patient and give it time... I agree, if you're not obsese, you shouldn't use treatment meant for that weight range.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Don't use Alli. Ever. I did and I had a digestive nightmare afterwards that I don't really want to post on a public forum. :sick:
  • mcarter99
    Options
    It took me going way over my fat rec to get any digestive effects.
  • bonsaiblossom
    bonsaiblossom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a treatment for obesity, which is maybe why you haven't heard much about people who aren't obese trying it. Honestly, the side effects of it don't appeal to me AT ALL. Even if I was prepared to put up with them, which I'm not, it's not something that is going to be part of a long-term healthy lifestyle. Maybe it would work, but then what happens when you stop taking it and go back to "normal"? How are you going to keep the weight off then?

When you only have a little bit to lose, it's really not necessary to resort to drastic measures that might negatively impact your health. Diet and exercise really are the best ways.

When you say you eat healthy most of the time - are you measuring your food accurately and logging consistently? I notice it looks like you joined MFP this month. Have you been counting calories before then? Maybe you need to give it a bit more time. Perhaps you're not eating the right amount of calories. When you set up MFP, how much did you say you want to lose a week? (2 lbs is probably not realistic for your current weight). Do you actually need to lose weight? I don't know if your profile pic is recent but, as much as I can see of you, you look like you're a healthy weight. Maybe rather than losing weight you would want to change your body composition? What kind of exercise do you do? Are you doing any strength training? Strength training is great for burning fat and becoming leaner.

I always measure my food, and before I joined mfp I've been counting calories on and off... but definitely not consistently. Even .5 lbs per week would be fine for me, but it's just not working. I get too many carbs sometimes though, upwards of 175 into the 230's, could that be the issue? I'm 5'8, 135 , my goal weight is around 120-124. I usually do pilates, jogging, and interval cardio for exercise... I won't work out with weights though.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    By BMI, you're much closer to underweight than over, and your lower goal IS considered underweight. Losing weight at your size is going to be an uphill battle.
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've tried it before and if you aren't eating a ton of fat to begin with it won't even do anything to you (because you don't have extra fat to expel). I experienced no side effects and no help in the weight loss department. This, of course, is my experience with it.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you're plateau-ing you probably need to change up something. You could try a ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, high intensity workouts or weight lifting to break through your plateau. I would highly advise you to stay away from the weight loss supplements. If you're looking for a healthy and proven way to increase your metabolism, you could try drinking a ton of green tea. The chemicals in green tea have been shown to increase the thermogenic effects of caffeine and can really give you a nice boost towards your goals.
  • bonsaiblossom
    Options
    Thank you for all of the responses so far. I guess I won't be taking Alli any time soon... Green tea sounds like a good idea, but I am scared of caffeine, I haven't had it in 2 years or more so I'm not sure how I would react to it. Thank you all for your suggestions.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Green tea sounds like a good idea, but I am scared of caffeine, I haven't had it in 2 years or more so I'm not sure how I would react to it...
    I had to chuckle as I read this. Scared to try caffeine, but not scared to try a drug known to cause digestive problems and oily anal leakage? :bigsmile:
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It works for my mother.. however, that bright orange oil secreting from her body scares her into eating right.. I think that's the real reason it works! :laugh:
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Why not lift weights?
  • princess12370
    Options
    I have the same problem as you! I only have a few to lose and cant seem to do it either. I dont have a educated answer for you..but Im thinking if we are eating well and dont have alot to lose I dont think it will work. I do know this..it is basically for when you eat high fat foods, it helps your body to rid of them, thus weight loss.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Refuse to lift weights, underweight goal, and looking for a magic pill? Good luck.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    if Alli worked, they would have commercials with success stories.. i haven't seen any, have you?
    '
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I took Alli for a while and found that I was using it as an excuse to eat more junk. It was hardly worth it.

It's like spending even more money because you have a 5% off coupon. Or like ordering two cheeseburgers and a DIET soda:happy:
  • bonsaiblossom
    Options
    ...Green tea sounds like a good idea, but I am scared of caffeine, I haven't had it in 2 years or more so I'm not sure how I would react to it...
    I had to chuckle as I read this. Scared to try caffeine, but not scared to try a drug known to cause digestive problems and oily anal leakage? :bigsmile:

I dont intake alot of fat and im vegetarian... so im definitely not scared of that. Allow me to enlighten you:
    Caffeine is SUBSTANTIALLY more of an issue for me because I used to have hyperthyroidism (which is mostly is remission now but i do still get episodes ever now and then). I had panic attacks up to 12 times per day, ultimately ending in my passing out atleast 5 times per day, so I feel that caffeine would definitely trigger a panic attack for me personally... and it would become a never-ending cycle. I have to say, it was a completely miserable experience being in ICU for weeks at a time.... Not "chuckling" so much now, right?
  • bonsaiblossom
    Options
    Refuse to lift weights, underweight goal, and looking for a magic pill? Good luck.

I am not looking for a "magic pill" . I understand that Alli is merely a fat-blocker. I don't want/need weights to work out, I use my own body for resistance.. especially being that I'm a ballet dancer... I really have enough natural definition from my background in dance, and I don't want much more. People think I lift weights because of how toned I am for some reason lol. Pilates are great for dancers and it's actually given me great definition. Weight-lifting is just not my "thing". I hope that you can wrap your head around that and good luck to you also.
  • bonsaiblossom
    Options
    I have the same problem as you! I only have a few to lose and cant seem to do it either. I dont have a educated answer for you..but Im thinking if we are eating well and dont have alot to lose I dont think it will work. I do know this..it is basically for when you eat high fat foods, it helps your body to rid of them, thus weight loss.

Right. I'm no where near high fat so it's probably just a waste. I don't think I would get very good results from it.