Net Calories.

Options
I came across a forum a few days ago about people netting with dangerously low net calories.

Today, I ate breakfast, lunch and a snack before I went to work out. I also was at the mall for 3 hours and didn't eat during my time there. I went to work out and burned 600+ calories leaving me with a net of 5 calories before dinner. There's no possible way I am going to eat 1100-1400 calories for DINNER to get my net calories in a 'healthy' range.

Just wondering what YOU all think of the whole net calorie idea and what a healthy range would be. And the whole "burn more than you take in".

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are not able to put in the planning to keep at a reasonable and healthy net, then you shouldn't exercise so much, as it is counterproductive. What is the point of honing a healthy body with a workout, when you are starving it of nutrition? I see no excuse to end up with nets that low, quite frankly. Your obviously not putting enough calories into your breakfast, lunch and snack, so maybe might look into better planning.

Also, not that hard to get close to 1000 calorie dinner, people doing intermittent fasting manage it well enough. A couple of salmon fillets, baked potato and some avocado and veggies would get you pretty close, with a snack of a handful of nuts.
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    I am interested to hear the opinion of others as well. I have been struggling, since I do over an hour of cardio every day. I feel like if I eat all of the calories back to my net of 1200, I am eating WAY too much!
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    Also when I did have a personal trainer she did tell me not to eat all of them back, half at most. I just don't know either!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you consistently net very low calories you could have problems. I agree you will probably NOT net 1200 calories at dinner. To try to net 1200 calories or whatever goal you have, try eating some nuts, peanut butter or some other healthy food that packs higher calories. It helps when you are not hungry but are aiming to net higher calories.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat the required calories(1200-1500) then its fine for weight loss.
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are not able to put in the planning to keep at a reasonable and healthy net, then you shouldn't exercise so much, as it is counterproductive. What is the point of honing a healthy body with a workout, when you are starving it of nutrition? I see no excuse to end up with nets that low, quite frankly. Your obviously not putting enough calories into your breakfast, lunch and snack, so maybe might look into better planning.

I have a sensitive stomach so I somewhat have to be picky with what I eat. I never go hungry; if I'm hungry, I make sure I eat.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too am confused about the whole "net" thing. Even on days where I do less exercise, I do not "net" anywhere near 1200 calories. Just seems like a lot of food that I am really not that hungry for.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    I know a lot of people think 1200 and under is starving yourself, but Im not gonna eat and make myself sick just to fill my calorie requirement.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If you cannot meet a NET of around 1200 calories a day with exercise, it's time to cut back on exercise or start eating more calorie rich foods. Almonds are great for that! There's delicious 100 calorie snack packs in flavors like cocoa and cinnamon and brown sugar.

Eat up or cut the exercise down. it's just not healthy to continue like this. MFP already has your calorie goal set up so that you're eating to lose weight. As long as you're under TDEE, which is how many calories your body burns just laying there like a lump, you'll lose weight. You DO NOT have to burn every calorie you eat.

Your body needs fuel to survive. Don't deprive it, feed it.... and feed it well.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever get into negative calories? I frequently do(this was before MFP) but I wasn't hungry at the end of the day.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I too am confused about the whole "net" thing. Even on days where I do less exercise, I do not "net" anywhere near 1200 calories. Just seems like a lot of food that I am really not that hungry for.

If you have trouble netting 1200, then you may want to look into adding healthy snacks that are calorie dense like nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc.

If you're making a sandwich maybe add a bit extra meat... if you have a salad with chicken add more chicken.
    Small things can add up! :)
  • adowney01
    adowney01 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is my first day counting my calories, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to not go over 1200 calories :(
    Do you drink a lot of water?
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    If you cannot meet a NET of around 1200 calories a day with exercise, it's time to cut back on exercise or start eating more calorie rich foods. Almonds are great for that! There's delicious 100 calorie snack packs in flavors like cocoa and cinnamon and brown sugar.

Eat up or cut the exercise down. it's just not healthy to continue like this. MFP already has your calorie goal set up so that you're eating to lose weight. As long as you're under TDEE, which is how many calories your body burns just laying there like a lump, you'll lose weight. You DO NOT have to burn every calorie you eat.

Your body needs fuel to survive. Don't deprive it, feed it.... and feed it well.

It's definitely not like this everyday. Most days I'm around 900-1100 net calories. MFP has my goal set at 1360.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    This is my first day counting my calories, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to not go over 1200 calories :(
    Do you drink a lot of water?

I drink about 8-10+ cups a day. All I drink is water.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options

If you have trouble netting 1200, then you may want to look into adding healthy snacks that are calorie dense like nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc.

If you're making a sandwich maybe add a bit extra meat... if you have a salad with chicken add more chicken.
    Small things can add up! :)

I will give that a try :) thanks!
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also when I did have a personal trainer she did tell me not to eat all of them back, half at most. I just don't know either!
    Only using half of my exercise caleries is how I've been doing it. I know it's only been 5 weeks; but it seems to be working for me.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you eating in the day? It would be helpful if your diary were open so that you could get the proper help.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Some days just don't work out, but that should not happen everyday. Plan what you are going to eat and you won't run into this problem. I lost over 80lbs and some days I would exercise just so I coild eat more. And I eat healthy stuff, haven't had fast food in over a year, try not to eat a lot of processed food. It is not always easy, but you can do it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I came across a forum a few days ago about people netting with dangerously low net calories.

Today, I ate breakfast, lunch and a snack before I went to work out. I also was at the mall for 3 hours and didn't eat during my time there. I went to work out and burned 600+ calories leaving me with a net of 5 calories before dinner. There's no possible way I am going to eat 1100-1400 calories for DINNER to get my net calories in a 'healthy' range.

Just wondering what YOU all think of the whole net calorie idea and what a healthy range would be. And the whole "burn more than you take in".

I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but occasionally having a low net is OK. I actually cut my cardio in half several months ago because I was having issues eating enough to net a decent amount on a regular basis.
  • stephenwebbe
    stephenwebbe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio every day and I have a similar problem with my net calories... tonight I went for a 30 km bike ride and now my net calories is -300, so I have to eat something before I go to bed, which kind of sucks...