TOM experiment & preliminary results

Options
123457»

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting! Thanks for sharing! I actually rarely have issues with gaining/not losing during TOM, but if I ever get issues I'll keep this in mind.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Mind if I ask you to get slightly more specific? I'm getting confused between net goals, RMR and deficit.

Right now my goals are set to lose 1lb per week, like you. That means I have a 500 calorie deficit. My net calories consumed goal with this weight loss plan is 1450 per day.

If I were modeling my eating plan like yours, would this be how it works out?
    menstrual phase (menstruation) - obvious {Ate at 500 cal deficit -- 1450 calories for me)
    proliferative phase (some sources include menstruation in this phase) - between menstruation and ovulation {1450 calories for me)
    ovulatory phase (ovulation, 2 - 3 day time frame) {1950 calories...or 1850 calories if still eating with 100 calorie deficit}
    luteal phase (between ovulation and menstruation) {1950 calories...or 1850 calories if still eating with 100 calorie deficit}

How scary to go all the way up to 1850 or 1950! But I'm definitely going to try it and see what my results are!

You got it exactly right (I changed my account at New Year's... decided ZombieSlayer was way more awesome than baisleac)
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am bumping for later too!!!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Mind if I ask you to get slightly more specific? I'm getting confused between net goals, RMR and deficit.

Right now my goals are set to lose 1lb per week, like you. That means I have a 500 calorie deficit. My net calories consumed goal with this weight loss plan is 1450 per day.

If I were modeling my eating plan like yours, would this be how it works out?
    menstrual phase (menstruation) - obvious {Ate at 500 cal deficit -- 1450 calories for me)
    proliferative phase (some sources include menstruation in this phase) - between menstruation and ovulation {1450 calories for me)
    ovulatory phase (ovulation, 2 - 3 day time frame) {1950 calories...or 1850 calories if still eating with 100 calorie deficit}
    luteal phase (between ovulation and menstruation) {1950 calories...or 1850 calories if still eating with 100 calorie deficit}

How scary to go all the way up to 1850 or 1950! But I'm definitely going to try it and see what my results are!

You got it exactly right (I changed my account at New Year's... decided ZombieSlayer was way more awesome than baisleac)

THANK YOU ZOMBIE SLAYER! YOU KICK *kitten*!
    Loved your scientific approach to this as well. Nicely done.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Round two starts tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.

2nd cycle.. weight loss did NOT stop... it slowed down a little, but was nice and steady. Yay!

AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED?????

LOL

I'm riveted by this thread. I want to know if anyone else has had luck with this method!
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    Thanks for this post. As a woman who has had "issues" with her cycle her *entire life*, I'm quite sure it's played a part into why I got as big as I did. Thing is, last summer I had the inside of my uterus burned out to stop the incessant bleeding and I don't have an actual period anymore. I do, however, still experience god awful PMS complete with the cravings of chocolate and shoving my face with anything I can get my hands on. I think I will follow in your steps and track, to the best of my abilities, when I *should* be shedding the uterine lining and my PMS cycle. It's so much harder now, though, since I divorced last fall and no longer have anyone living with me to say "Hey, BEOTCH! You're PMSing. Take an effing chill pill!!" Hahaha..
  • ZombieSlayer
    Options
    Round two starts tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.

2nd cycle.. weight loss did NOT stop... it slowed down a little, but was nice and steady. Yay!

AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED?????

LOL

I'm riveted by this thread. I want to know if anyone else has had luck with this method!

Well... I'm within 5 lbs of goal, really focusing on composition now instead of weight.

3fab7eec.jpg
    "after" pic taken on Mother's Day 2012.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    WOW, you look amazing! What a transformation!

So on your second round of "experimenting" during TOM, did you still eat at a 500 calorie deficit but then up it to only a 100 calorie deficit during the luteal phase?
  • ZombieSlayer
    Options
    WOW, you look amazing! What a transformation!

So on your second round of "experimenting" during TOM, did you still eat at a 500 calorie deficit but then up it to only a 100 calorie deficit during the luteal phase?

I corrected by going to full maintenance. As I got closer I actually went OVER maintenance by 100 calories to maintain a smaller deficit. Now I eat at just below maintenance all the time and only lose during the luteal phase, which works well with the body recomp focus.
  • JessyLynnH
    JessyLynnH Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually feel a bit dumb for having menstruated 30 years and not noticed the issue of raised temperature/metabolism. No doubt I'll just get to grips with my body then menopause will kick in LOL

I'm right there with you...had no clue.
    Great experiment...explains a few things. :smile:
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Interesting! I have these variations as well and may consider what you have tried. I anticipate as I get closer to my goal that I may not lose at all during those same phases where as now, with 80ish pounds to go, I still lose some. Thanks for sharing :)
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    super bump

This particular issue is driving me completely mad. 5 months down 12 lbs. I have been onto something, but you are a damn genius. Thanks for taking some of the guesswork out for me!
  • ZombieSlayer
    Options
    bump
  • joyride12
    Options
    interesting!
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    I think I need to try this... I switched to a new birth control 2 months ago and saw a 1lb loss right away, then a 3lb gain that just will not go away even though I've been doing everything that was working previously! The BCP I'm on is supposed to make it so you have a period every 3 months if that, so I wonder if I'm getting my usual period bloating that just hasn't gone away because of the weird cycle...I'm not sure how I'd implement this experiment with my current BCP though. :/
  • bunnyklutz
    bunnyklutz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Bump very interesting
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Who's Tom? :huh: