Runner feet. HELP!

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I am a fairly experienced runner, and haven't any major health issues with it, but last week during a normal 10k run I developed a blister on the end of my middle toe, and after running twice more on it it is now a large and very painful blood blister. What can I do to prevent these things happening? I know marathon runners get terrible feet, but I don't want that!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Has anything changed? Shoes, socks, surface, pace, intensity?

Two things come to mind.

1. Are your shoes too tight? I buy my running shoes a full size larger than my street shoes.

2. Are you wearing cotton socks? Cotton is notorious for creating blisters.
  • widruns
    widruns Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ITA with CarsonRuns. Also, it might just be a sensitive spot for you. DId you recently get new shoes? Put something like BodyGlide or diaper rash cream on your toe as a preventative.
  • fteale
    Options
    Has anything changed? Shoes, socks, surface, pace, intensity?

Two things come to mind.

1. Are your shoes too tight? I buy my running shoes a full size larger than my street shoes.

2. Are you wearing cotton socks? Cotton is notorious for creating blisters.

I have been wearing my old shoes, which are 2 years old now, as I keep them at my parents'. I have newer shoes I run in most of the time, but have been using the old ones recently, which seem to have caused the problem. They are a full size bigger than my normal shoes, and I wear x-socks specifically designed for running, though they too are about 2 years old. Can running socks get old?
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Probably the shoes...I usually replace mine every 3-4 months...6 months at the most. I do mostly half-marathons if that helps.
  • fteale
    Options
    Thanks. How long do I need to recover for before running on it again? Or should I just carry on and will it callous over?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks. How long do I need to recover for before running on it again? Or should I just carry on and will it callous over?
    You might try poking it with a sterilized sewing needle to let out the blood and relieve some of the pressure. I'd keep running with it unless it's causing you too much pain. It'll get hard (the outer layers of skin will die) and then you can peel that part off when it's ready.

You might look into the silicon toe caps they sell (I bought some at CVS, IIRC) to help protect it, until it heals completely.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Shoes or socks are the main causes of blisters.