HI- PROTEIN with Nut Allergy?

Options
Hello all,

I am runing out of choices for good protein sources. Cant enjoy all those bars and trail mixes because I have a nut allergy. So with meat, egg white, and body fortress protein shot on a daily I am getting bored. Thinking I may actually cluck soon! :laugh:

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Same here and I hate eggs... Soy has lots of protein so does greek yogurt... I am not a big meat eater for the most part so I am always low on protein.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Eat more animals. They are delicious and full of protein.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    How about seafood, dairy proteins, or tofu?
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Is seafood/shellfish an option? I had some deLISHious scallops last night... More than 1/2lb, and it rang up at 60g protein. And it's low fat, save for whatever butter/oil might be used for preparation. shrimp would be similar.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Eat more animals. They are delicious and full of protein.

this
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    tuna?
  • madamemack
    madamemack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try seitan. tons of recipes online and it can be flavored to you liking, covered in sauce, marinated. also try making lasagna with firm tofu instead of ricotta for added protein. try this for tasty lasagna filling: 2 blocks firm tofu crumbled to the consistency of ricotta, 3TBL lemon juice, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional but gives a cheesy nutty flavor), garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning to taste.

you can also add spirulina to smoothies - it is very high in protein. as is quinoa (a grain) which i excellent used as a ground beef substitute in chili or stuffed into peppers.

here is a link to a website that will give you some high protein recipe ideas http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-recipes-for-athletes/
  • VinoFonseca
    VinoFonseca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Definitely seafood - Salmon! Shrimp!
    or Turkey? I found antibiotic/hormone free turkey tenderloins at the grocery yesterday. I grill them, then add to stir frys, salads, just about everything.

Have you tried the ultimate flurry protein shakes - just like a milk shake. best protein to calorie ratio I've discovered Expensive, but I sip all day and spread 1 can out over days.

Of course, there's always cheese but you got to watch sodium and calories with that. :( I luv cheese.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Beans:

Black beans
    Garbanzo (chickpeas)
    Kidney beans
    Lentil beans
    Lima beans
    Navy beans
    Soybeans (edamame)
    Tofu

Dairy (other than eggs):

Cheddar cheese
    Cottage Cheese
    Milk, lowfat or skim
    Muenster cheese
    Swiss cheese
    Yogurt, lowfat or nonfat

Fish:

Anchovies, in water
    Halibut
    Mackerel
    Salmon
    Sardines, in water
    Tuna, tongol

Grains:

Oatmeal, rough cut
    Pancake, buckwheat or whole wheat
    Popcorn, dry
    Rice, brown, cooked
    Rye bread
    Whole wheat bread

Meat (other than chicken):

Turkey, light or dark meat no skin
    Ground sirloin (90% lean or more)
    Tenderloin
    Flank
    T-bone
    Porterhouse
    Roast beef (watch sodium in lunch meat)
    Lamb
    Pork loin
    Pork roast
    Pork chop
    Venison
    Buffalo
    Grass fed beef

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Quinoa's another grain with protein too. A little unusual, but tasty & versatile.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for the great choices. Will add them to my receipes this week!!
  • madamemack
    madamemack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hummus also makes a great dip or sandwich. My friend has recently introduced me to red pepper hummus sandwiches with apple slices.

you can also use hummus in place of mayo on deli meat sandwiches just 2 Tablespoons will give you and extra 2-3 grams of protein. plus you'll get extra calcium from the sesame seeds.

sunflower seed butter is also a good choice.
  • lrimawi
    lrimawi Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, we've actually found some great nut free trail mixes at tasterie.com. We screen the manufacturers to make sure that they really are nut free. There are some great options out there. Hope that helps!