confused about protein shakes - should i be drinking them?!?

Options
hey guys, i dont know if this is universally known and i'm being kept out of a big secret but just wondered if i should be drinking protein shakes?!

i'm 5"7 weighed 197lbs 6 weeks ago i now weigh 181lbs (YEY): i eat 1200 cals per day drink plenty of water and exersize 3-4 times a week for about an hour per time. the weight loss is a steady 2-2.5 lbs per week. whic i'm happy with.

Im generally sticking with low carb (under 100 per day) and high protein.

i dont want to bulk up and be very muscley - i just want to be smaller and tonned..

Any advise??!!

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need them. Most authorities recommend around 50g of protein/day. Some people like to shoot more for like 1g per pound of body weight, which is much higher. So they supplement with shakes. If you don't feel like going that route, your MFP or other goal is fine.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The MFP goal is notoriously low. If you need more protein, then use them. They won't bulk you up..and it will keep you feeling full longer.

Good luck
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The protein in protein shakes isn't going to give you huge bulging muscles or whatever. It's not magical steroid juice. It's the same protein in milk, eggs, beans, etc; it's just a convenient way to up your protein intake for the day without adding excess calories.

You need to be consuming lots of protein and doing strength training to help maintain your lean body mass as you lose weight.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1st congratulations on begining this site. You will succeed if you stick with it.
    Ideally, you should eat the right , healthy, foods and you wouldn't need any suppliments. With that being said I drink the occassional shake (ON Pro Complex, high protein, low calories). I will use them post workout or as a snack.

You won't put on muscle if you are actively dropping weight, when you drop a bunch of weight you will drop both muscle and fat. Working out minimizes the muscle loss. Giving you muscles what they need to grow will just help you along.

For me, I know the shake fills me up and doesn't contribute to much to my calorie intake. I don't use it for meal replacement just as a snack or post workout recovery drink. Also most people eat more protein then they need. As long as you are healthy the protein won't hurt.

Good Luck on your journey
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Protein and protein shakes themselves aren't going to cause you to bulk up. I take in about 170-175 grams of protein every day (yes, EVERY day) and I have yet to "bulk up." Why? Because I'm not eating excessive calories (which is why 90% of us came to this site in the first place) or putting myself through a ridiculous power-lifter type of weight-training cycle (most people doing this kind of work out are eating in the 4000 calorie per day range anyway, so, yeah, they'll gain weight, they're just controlling it to be muscle, not fat). I do, however, run. A lot. So, to keep my body from destroying itself to heal, I consume large quantities of protein. I've been told on multiple occasions I have a distance runner's body now, so I don't think it's "bulking me up" at all.

What I had always been told, and I'm sure google would help here, too, is that muscle metabolizes more readily than fat. Which is why you want to include strength training and a good amount of protein in your diet when losing weight. A lot of people who don't will end up with the "skinny fat" look, where they're 120 pounds, but still generally flabby looking. Where having a good amount of protein will help you is it will keep your body from cannibalizing its muscle tissue to get energy when you're in a deep exercise burn or at a calorie deficit, which helps keep a "fit" look.

Bottom line is that if the shakes fit your macros and you like them, drink them. Otherwise don't.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I should add I do sometimes supplement with protein powders or bars but mainly because protein is a calorie bargain. It keeps me full longer, plus it has those LBM-protecting qualities and I don't eat a lot of meat or dairy.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The protein in protein shakes isn't going to give you huge bulging muscles or whatever. It's not magical steroid juice. It's the same protein in milk, eggs, beans, etc; it's just a convenient way to up your protein intake for the day without adding excess calories.

You need to be consuming lots of protein and doing strength training to help maintain your lean body mass as you lose weight.
    and I really love my protein powder after an intense workout to keep from the fatigue ... esp with a little yogurt. W/IN 30 minutes, tho!
  • Slimskinnysally
    Options
    cheers guys this all makes sense!! - maybe i'll try one or two different flavours post work out - i dont like the sound of muscle wastage or the skinny flabby look )

ny reccomendations on good shakes from the uk??