Low Calorie Mac n Cheese, anyone?

Options
ChelleFeegan
ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
Help?

Anyone got a good low calorie receipe for Mac n Cheese?

Thanks

Replies

• JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Go on the hungery girl website, I think i seen a recipe for mac n cheese that uses low fat parmesan cheese and a wedge of laughing cow cheese.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Why not just make 1/2 the box at a time? I do that and add veggies/tuna and its very filling and a lot healthier.
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Why not just make 1/2 the box at a time? I do that and add veggies/tuna and its very filling and a lot healthier.

I like Smart Ones or Michelina's Lean Gourmet Mac N Cheese but they have around 300 calories which is the same as a serving of the box mac cheese. I also agree about adding veggies to the box to make it more filling. Broccoli and peas work well! My mom makes it from scratch with no butter, skim milk and reduced fat cheese but the trick is still portion control.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    Yea I generally don't use any milk or butter either, but sometimes it needs just a splash of milk. I have tried it with broccoli/peas/corn and I love it with broccoli.

"the trick is still portion control."

Very true, that's why I like to make only half at a time...that way I would have to cook the other half if I wanted more...and I'd be too lazy to do that lol
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When you make the boxed kind, don't use butter or milk, just add some water for the liquid. Also add veggies like broccoli or peas to the mix to make it more filling.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is a fitness website yes or did I stumble on to the Kraft Foods forum?
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

conidering you're the first one to even mention Kraft it must still be for fitness :)
  • charitas32
    charitas32 Posts: 58
    Options
    am not sure what the boxed sort is , but I make a roue with half veg stock and half semi skimmed milk, if you get a stock like marigold they are quite cheesey tasting , then use butter and flour as usual and a smaller amount of strong chedder/ bit of parmasen.

Second usuing veggies with it broccoli works well I find. Can get down to about 209 kcals per serving
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I use one cup of cooked quinoa and mix it with 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese and 1 wedge laughing cow swiss.
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I agree. It's sad how people automatically assume the OP was talking about a processed Mac & Cheese instead of homemade.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    So are you saying that because we are all trying to get healthier, that making a healthy version of a favourite food is not allowed? Sorry I wasn't aware.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    "I use one cup of cooked quinoa and mix it with 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese and 1 wedge laughing cow swiss."

Everyone is talking about this laughing cow cheese....I really think I need to try it, this recipe you just mentioned sounds delicious!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a few good ones!
    i like to sub 1/2 shirataki noodles and 1/2 whole wheat noodles to lower the carbs =)
  • angelicasmommy
    Options

I agree. It's sad how people automatically assume the OP was talking about a processed Mac & Cheese instead of homemade.

I didn't assume she was talking about boxed version. In my experience, homemade doesn't taste as good, sometimes not good at all. So why not just make a healthy version of the boxed kind?
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options
    I have found goat cheese to be a great option here. I'll make whole wheat pasta, and one serving of soft goat cheese melts, is very creamy and satisfying, and only adds about 70 cals per serving of cheese. You could probably add in a little bit of other shredded lowfat cheese to go with it and some skim milk if need be. When I do this, I don't feel like I am cheating at all.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use fat free cottage cheese to make the sauce creamier, and low fat cheeses with either whole wheat pasta or shirataki noodles. Add in cayenne or nutmeg for a nice kick. Its delicious!
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use whole weat macaroni, add i table spoon olive oil bace margrine, and some grated cheese, I work out to make up for the regular cheese, but you can always use some other kind of cheese.
  • lizzylou8990
    Options
    I posted this recipe a few days ago. It turns out great and is only 251 calories per serving.

Greek mac and cheese

Ingredients:

1 box of mac and cheese (I used a Hy-Vee store brand)
    2 Tbs of Greek yogurt (I used Greek Gods Traditional)
    1/4 C water*

Directions:

1. Prepare noodles as directed on the box.
    2. Return drained noodles to the pan. Add yogurt, water, and powdered cheese packet.
    3. Stir until smooth and creamy.

*You may need to add a little more water to create a smooth mac and cheese*

Hope this helps.
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone :) can't wait to give some of these a try :)