Is it really as simple as mfp?

Options
Hi guys, this seems like a stupid question but is your weight loss all due to simply mfp (or similar) and exercise? Iv recently put back on (again) 20-30 pounds due to stress related binging, i lost the weight doing a stupid crash diet. All iv every done is look for a quick fix or a magic diet but 10 years on im still 40 pounds over what i want to be!

So im asking, do i just need to accept it...start eating healthy and tracking it everyday and get on with it...and it will work..no magic?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yes.

yes to all of what you said!

MFP is just a tool, but if you don't keep track of how much you are eating, you have no chance. It is like a checking account. If you don't reconcile your account and keep track of how much you are spending and how much you deposit, you write bad checks. It is super simple, but people make it hard. All you have to do is eat less than you burn and the weight comes off.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    btw, congrats on the lightbulb coming on!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Pretty much.

If you eat what your body NEEDS to survive (BMR) but less than you spend a day (TDEE), you will lose weight.

Weight loss is simply and hard. The simple part of it is just as I mentioned above, the hard part is that it seems so counter intuitive at times. Many people have a problem of not eating enough!

If you need help making some guidelines and plans, feel free to message me on here.
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    For me, YES!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    YES, it's that simple. Doesn't mean it's always EASY, but it is simple. Hard work and eating appropriately are all you need. No magic, no gimmicks, just patience and determination.
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes! But like anything else, you have to stick with it for it to work. Good luck!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I think, yes, it's as simple as MFP, but you have to keep utilizing this great tool to make it really work for you.
  • rachael52
    rachael52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The great thing is that it really is simple. Today is day 30 for me since I discovered MFP and I've logged every meal. It helps that I have an ipod touch in my pocketbook so it's handy, and I don't need wireless - whatever I log offline gets registered as soon as I'm in a wireless zone, and I'm in those at home and work.

For most people, it's a matter of calories and exercise. And I simply would rather eat a lot of healthy stuff for several hundred calories than one little nut muffin. (My husband bought me a big blueberry muffin this weekend and I took a bite and decided it wasn't worth it).

What I want to do is get out my good vegetarian cookbooks and start making some really interesting, low-cal meals.

Good luck -- and you know, just try it for a month. I was just looking at my thighs and they look pretty good!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes. It requires hard work and determination on your part, but MFP is an awesome tool.
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think it's not necessarily about mfp, but you being ready to lose it. Your not going to change your habits unless you really want to. You have to finally commit to eating healthy and working out. Mfp is just one amazing tool to help you reach your goal. It makes tracking your food easier. And at your fingertips.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    So im asking, do i just need to accept it...start eating healthy and tracking it everyday and get on with it...and it will work..no magic?

You need to actually want to lose it.

Actually want it meaning you are willing to put in the hard work and unwilling to accept excuses or failure. You need goals. Real goals, good goals, attainable goals, and always add new goals, as there is no end point. You need to enjoy the process.

When you motivation is right the weight should just melt right off easily. I'm not saying it isn't hard work, but outside of the hard work it isn't difficult at all. Losing weight is the easy part, keeping it off is a totally different story, that should be your focus from the get go. If you are struggling to lose weight, don't even bother. Fix your motivation first.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's actually MORE simple than MFP.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I will say that if you have a desire to lose it then it is that simple. The key, in my experience, is you have to be honest with yourself about what you have done in the past. Then you can have an opportunity to cringe when you have 30% more calories in a day than you body actually consumed (I have had this experience).

MFP works because even if you DO NOT change your diet you face the facts of what you eat. If you actually make changes to your diet then you can either be proud of the success or disappointed when you fall short. Either way you can use the ups and downs as motivation to improve tomorrow. Good luck!
  • rachaee
    rachaee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WOW. Thank you so much for your replies. What you are all saying makes me feel quite silly for all the things iv done over the years to "try" and make it happen. Some have said you have to really want it...it's all iv wanted for a long time now, but iv never believed it possible so never really truly honestly let myself try. The only reason I lost some most recently was due to a break up. I guess it's time to finally do it properly. Thanks guys :)
  • kristalbraley
    Options
    It is good to remember though that if you've already been overweight you will always have to eat less than another female of the same size who has been that size their whole life. Your body produces more fat cells as you gain weight. The bad part, is when you lose weight those cells are still there, just not as full. It then becomes so much easier to gain weight again in the future. Best of luck and this definitely helps put foods not a better perspective for you and to make small changes. Remember, baby steps.