Anyone else doing JM Kickboxing FastFix?

Options
mariposa224
mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
I started Jillian Michaels' Kickboxing FastFix last week. After a couple of days, I decided I would do each level (3 levels) for 5 days, then do 2 cycles like that (for a total of 30 days) before moving on to something else. I've never done any kickboxing before...

I like the workouts, they get me sweating and I feel it, but man is it hard for me to follow as I start the levels! Has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing it's at least partly because I'm not familiar with all the moves. Even after having done the tutorial, it's difficult to follow some of the combinations. I've found that it's even more difficult for me because I'm used to mirroring the moves I see on the TV, but in a boxing stance you can't do that. So I get thrown off and it takes me sometimes the whole length of a certain move before I've even got the move halfway down. In SPITE of this, my heart rate still shot way up as I tried to learn level 2 today. I'm hoping that I get more familiar with it and am able to at least mostly do the moves before I move on the level 3 next week.

(Side note: From what I read when I purchased this DVD, the levels are upper body, lower body, and abs, so it's not necessarily like other of her DVDs where each level is incrementally more difficult, though level 2 DID get my heart rate substantially higher than level 1 did. lol)

So, I guess I want to ask any others who've done this DVD (especially those who, like me, have no kickboxing experience) if the combinations actually get to a point where they flow better? Some of the ones with 6 different moves in them, I didn't ever get them today. I was so confused... lol

Replies

• mariposa224
    Options
    Bump...
  • mariposa224
    Options
    No one else is doing this DVD??? lol
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    I want it, I'm waiting until it's been out longer and the price goes down. Sounds like fun though, I love Jillian!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have it but I just started RI30 on 7/9. She's kicking my *kitten*! I did watch the tutorial and did one level but decided to complete RI30 first.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ive done it 3 times now, only Level 1. Im having issues keeping up with the fast paced kicks (scared of the pivots, my knees are bad enough as it is), so I havent ventured to the other levels yet. I did Tae Bo wayyy back in the day so the moves arent foreign to me, its just my body cant move that fast now lol

edited to add, I LOVE IT THOUGH. Its an awesome way to relieve stress !!!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Ripped kicked my butt too, brawlerbella! lol I agree, lauralind5, the moves are so fast that it's hard to follow. It took me all of 5 days to get to a point where I was able to do almost all the moves in level 1 without becoming hopelessly lost. lol
  • brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    I've started this DVD and love it. Some of the combinations are really difficult because they are moving so fast. I've done kickboxing in a class environment before and I still have trouble with the DVD at times. What's helped me is saying the moves out loud (shortening some like upper cut to upper) as you do them and do it slower if you need to. The pivot round house I don't do. That one is just asking for trouble with your right knee if you aren't pivoting correctly. I still do the left round house but then step back with my right foot and then left round house. The squat jumps are KILLER!
  • serentity78
    serentity78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I will start this dvd tues...I am finishing 30ds tomorrow and plan to start this and on weekends also do banish fat boost metabolism. Those workouts are longer so going to try for those on weekends and see this kickboxing one kinda unsure of the moves so tomorrow will view the tutorial.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I started this one a week ago. It took me a couple days to get the moves down because I haven't done kickboxing before. I'm used to Jillian though cause I've done 30DS and RI30 each twice and her 6 week/6 pack abs workout.

I really like the workout, a nice quick routine that flies by - great if you're pressed for time. I do get on my elliptical for 30 mins. afterward though because I feel I need to burn more calories.

I would definitely recommend UNLESS you have issues with your knees, I can see how you could hurt yourself doing some of the moves like the roundhouse kicks, etc. if you're not rotating properly.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I've started this DVD and love it. Some of the combinations are really difficult because they are moving so fast. I've done kickboxing in a class environment before and I still have trouble with the DVD at times. What's helped me is saying the moves out loud (shortening some like upper cut to upper) as you do them and do it slower if you need to. The pivot round house I don't do. That one is just asking for trouble with your right knee if you aren't pivoting correctly. I still do the left round house but then step back with my right foot and then left round house. The squat jumps are KILLER!

I think I'll try saying the names with the moves, see if that helps me. I've found that after doing a level for a few days I get better and it's less about coordination. Then I feel like I'm actually getting something out of it. lol
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I started this one a week ago. It took me a couple days to get the moves down because I haven't done kickboxing before. I'm used to Jillian though cause I've done 30DS and RI30 each twice and her 6 week/6 pack abs workout.

I really like the workout, a nice quick routine that flies by - great if you're pressed for time. I do get on my elliptical for 30 mins. afterward though because I feel I need to burn more calories.

I would definitely recommend UNLESS you have issues with your knees, I can see how you could hurt yourself doing some of the moves like the roundhouse kicks, etc. if you're not rotating properly.

I've done 5 days of levels 1 & 2, just started level 3 today. I plan to cycle through the levels for 5 more days each. I'm hoping that, having got the hang of things a bit better, it will be more "fun" the second time through. I've done 30DS & RI30 as well. I plan to do 6W6P once I finish this one. :) I also throw in her Yoga Meltdown occasionally.
  • jpoulsen2
    jpoulsen2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think it does get easier to figure out what her combinations are the more you do the dvd, but in the mean time if I get confused and flustered about what moves she's trying to have me do I tend to sub in my own thing. If I start getting off count with jabs and uppercuts and kicks I can do a few jumping jacks while watching her until I figure it out. Or just do some regular punches until I catch on. Either way I do something that works me hard, she's not keeping score on my accuracy!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I tried saying the moved today. On some of it that did make it easier. But there's one combination she does (in level 3) where she doesn't say it first, she just starts doing it as she says it. That one I still couldn't do right today. lol
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship my copy. Good to know it's confusing, I'll do it after work rather than right when I wake up. Hopefully my brain is more alert by then. :)
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship my copy. Good to know it's confusing, I'll do it after work rather than right when I wake up. Hopefully my brain is more alert by then. :)
    lol Well, I recommend doing the tutorial just to help familiarize yourself with it. And then saying the moves out loud as I'm attempting to do them did help some today. It's just a matter of coordination, at least for me, for the first 2-3 days of each level. lol
  • stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think it does get easier to figure out what her combinations are the more you do the dvd, but in the mean time if I get confused and flustered about what moves she's trying to have me do I tend to sub in my own thing. If I start getting off count with jabs and uppercuts and kicks I can do a few jumping jacks while watching her until I figure it out. Or just do some regular punches until I catch on. Either way I do something that works me hard, she's not keeping score on my accuracy!

I think I need to remember this when I'm doing her DVD. I have no kickboxing experience but I bought it a couple of weeks ago and after doing level 1 twice in one week I got an insane muscle cramp in my calf. I waited a week and tried again and tonight when I did level 2 I just ended up feeling so ridiculously frustrated. I did the tutorial twice already but I could not follow anything she did in level 2. I had to put the dvd into slow motion just to see what was going on and follow along that way, which obviously defeats the purpose of doing a workout dvd. I find this dvd has waaaaay too many moves that are potential for injury. I mean, I could definitely reduce the risk of injury if I just "phoned it in" but we all know how she feels about that. Hopefully it gets easier with practice.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've had the DVD since it was released - love it, it's one of my favorites! I have done all the levels (they do get easier to follow as you learn all the combinations) - did them all separately, have done two at a time, and all three a few times. At first it was so fun that was all I was doing! :tongue:

I have since backed off, but still do it a couple of times a week, usually for a quick 20 minutes of cardio after weights. I like all the workouts, but like someone else said, Workout 2 probably gives me the best burn. I like the moves with weights in Workout 1 though. HATE the dang donkey kicks at the end of Workout 3! :laugh:

It's a great DVD (by the way, I have no kickboxing experience other than old school Tae Bo from back in the day), and I think it's more fun the more you do it. You get those moves nailed down and you can work on form and intensity, and work up a serious sweat in just 20 minutes. Also like that it's exactly 20 minutes from start to finish on each workout.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I think I need to remember this when I'm doing her DVD. I have no kickboxing experience but I bought it a couple of weeks ago and after doing level 1 twice in one week I got an insane muscle cramp in my calf. I waited a week and tried again and tonight when I did level 2 I just ended up feeling so ridiculously frustrated. I did the tutorial twice already but I could not follow anything she did in level 2. I had to put the dvd into slow motion just to see what was going on and follow along that way, which obviously defeats the purpose of doing a workout dvd. I find this dvd has waaaaay too many moves that are potential for injury. I mean, I could definitely reduce the risk of injury if I just "phoned it in" but we all know how she feels about that. Hopefully it gets easier with practice.

I agree that it's a little on the complicated side... And I honestly think the tutorial could have been done better. I just do my best to follow along at first... But it seems that by the third day of a level I've at least got it *mostly* down so I don't feel like a complete doofus! lol That's why I decided on the 5 days per level (twice through) for myself. She doesn't seem to have a "program" set for this one, so I made my own. After doing each level 5 days, I at least seem to have some level of confidence in my ability to *mostly* get it. lol I'm hoping that the 2nd time through will prove to be much better than the first time. :smile:
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I've had the DVD since it was released - love it, it's one of my favorites! I have done all the levels (they do get easier to follow as you learn all the combinations) - did them all separately, have done two at a time, and all three a few times. At first it was so fun that was all I was doing! :tongue:

I have since backed off, but still do it a couple of times a week, usually for a quick 20 minutes of cardio after weights. I like all the workouts, but like someone else said, Workout 2 probably gives me the best burn. I like the moves with weights in Workout 1 though. HATE the dang donkey kicks at the end of Workout 3! :laugh:

It's a great DVD (by the way, I have no kickboxing experience other than old school Tae Bo from back in the day), and I think it's more fun the more you do it. You get those moves nailed down and you can work on form and intensity, and work up a serious sweat in just 20 minutes. Also like that it's exactly 20 minutes from start to finish on each workout.

Yes, I'm so totally hoping that once I *get it* better, I'll like it more. I LOVE that it's pretty much exactly 20 minutes. That makes fitting it in so simple! I'm glad to hear that it gets easier with practice (as far as the coordination of the moves). I'm hoping to use it in a similar fashion eventually.