Foods You'll Think Twice About Now

Options

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I wish I could teach MFP a nutrition class.... the sugar in fruit is not bad. The cholesterol in eggs is not bad, and dietary cholesterol has negligible effect on serum (blood) cholesterol. As for good fats and bad fats, the only fats that are truly bad for us are trans-fats and excess amounts of omega-6.
  • wanitah1
    wanitah1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agree!
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Adding some more.

Fast food, but personally the sodium is more shocking than the calories for me.

Also, most frappes and shakes. In particular the peppermint chocolate chip shake from chick-fil-a. I just tried it at Christmas time last year.. It was 600 plus calories for the smaller size and 900 plus for the large!! But I will have just one this year because it is heaven in a cup.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Grains, legumes and anything in a packet.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I wish I could teach MFP a nutrition class.... the sugar in fruit is not bad. The cholesterol in eggs is not bad, and dietary cholesterol has negligible effect on serum (blood) cholesterol. As for good fats and bad fats, the only fats that are truly bad for us are trans-fats and excess amounts of omega-6.

Voice Of Reason :)
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    none.

I don't think twice about any of them. I eat it all. That's what running is for.

I like your style.

I agree with this 100% as well. For me personally if I am in the gym and working out then there is no harm in a slice of pizza, a bowl of ice cream or some other yummy treat. Everything in moderation is my motto. I may not lose weight as fast as someone who cut all the "junk" out of their diet but I will be happier then I would be if I did...haha
  • Bealach_Bug
    Options
    Low Fat Yogurt
    Anything 'white' (ie bread, pasta, rice etc),
    Potatos
    Low Fat Margarine

I do think twice, three times or more about some dark spiced chocolate though (it's because I like thinking about it..lol)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Olives! 4 black olives = 25 calories (no biggie), 2.5 grams of fat (just for olives!). That sucks. I put olives in a lot of recipes. I knew they were high in sodium, but I didn't realize they had fat.

Yes, but they have good fat in them. Olives are very good for you.

Edit: I LOVE olives. I eat them wayyyy too much just straight out of the jar haha

Second that, Olives are extremely good for you and are a great source of needed fat! So are avocados!!!

I had an avocado with lunch today in fact, and olives last night. Delicious!
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Just throwing this out there:

Every food that you all pointed out as "thinking twice about" are all healthy for you:

Avocados, beans, olives, bananas, nuts.

How about something like a turkey burger with extra blue cheese and fries? A chili dog? Thick crust pizza with everything on it? Lets get real here and talk about foods that you really should think twice about.

where's the "LIKE" button when you need it! :bigsmile:

i've been trying to incorporate MORE beans in my diet because they have such greta health benefits, and they're tasty! :) Granted I don't eat bananas much anymore... except in banana bread!
    Love avocadoes, but suck at knowing when they're ripe... still working on this skill!
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Peaches. I had NO idea they had that much sugar. Nothing like discovering that eating a peach consumes most of my daily sugar allowance. Youch.

This go around in my journey Ive decided to never limit fruits and veggies - if I HAVE to eat- I will grab a peach over a bag of chips or cookies.

I want the final answer on this- sugars from fruit count as 'bad sugar'? I dont buy that- anything grown in nature is geared for our bodies like breast milk is for a baby- cutting fruits because they are high in 'this or that' - I just cant believe thats the better choice- even over not eating. Not eating leads to frustration -when a peach would lead to a satisfying sweetness and no cheating or quitting... no?

My point was that I've always known cookies weren't a great option. I never had to "think twice," because I knew they weren't great. Peaches I'd always assumed were good for me. Now that I know how much sugar they have, I think twice before I eat them. They are no longer a go-to snacking item. I think that's why people are mostly listing "good for you" foods. We *know* that junk food isn't good for us, but we've gone along assuming this or that "natural" food was okay. Now that we know a bit more, we hesitate over those good for us foods in a way we didn't used to.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I think about everything now, which is exactly what is different. I don't "ban" any one food, but I am conscious about calories and nutrition in a way that I was not before I started trying to get healthy. Right now, I'm snacking on blueberries instead of a muffin, which is what I would have grabbed before. The best part is that the blueberries are ridiculously good and totally satisfying, whereas I would have been ready for more snacking after the muffin.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    salted pistachios - I used to skip lunch and just eat these. And then have more after dinner. Sodium content is just way too high.
    Now I have 10g -30g (30g =1oz) portions of brazil nuts/hazelnuts/almonds.

pasta and cake (all types) - I'm not particularly fond of either and so put them in my 'not worth the calories' pile.

takeaway pizza - just all kinds of no. I stick to healthier versions.

too many carbs - have just been on holiday and had one very carb heavy night and felt terrible the next day. I still eat them just not as many.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nearly every food I ate in large quantities. Peanut butter, margarine, juices, bread, pasta, cereal, milk.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Sour cream. It was my FAVORITE condiment ever...and now I won't touch it.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Sour cream. It was my FAVORITE condiment ever...and now I won't touch it.

Oh, I totally forgot about condiments. I released that sometimes the condiment was like 1/4 the calories of the actual food, which is ridiculous.
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was shocked about crabs. I always thought they were low cal - but after eating 6 at a crab feast, I realized I had eaten 600 calories!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Bananas, sadly. Yeah, they've got a lot of potassium, but they've also got lots of carbs and sugar. If I eat one, I eat only half of one. I can get potassium from other sources, anyway: spinach, tomatoes, milk, cheese, other fruits & veggies with less sugar. Bananas make the roof of my mouth itch, anyway, lol.

if they make your mouth itch please avoid them completely. that"s a sign of allergy and it can escalate to more severe signs of allery leading to anaphalaxis
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Bananas...I love them in my cereal but they're so calorie dense...and it's really tough to find the little bananas in the grocery store. They're all so big...(insert obvious joke here)
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Although I am willing to sacrifice if I REALLY want pizza for dinner that night (or some other likewise food) I put it in my diary early that day and then eat accordingly the rest of the day. While I have adjusted some of what I eat/drink I haven't cut anything totally out. I want to live with the "everything in moderation" life style. No I can't have 'pizza.....' every night but once in a while isn't going to hurt me.
  • mauramalade
    mauramalade Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    White bread/pasta/rice. Hoagies. Wings... I never knew wing sauce was mostly butter... that ruined my life :( Any beverage other than water/skim milk. I always think twice about dark chocolate, and then eat it :)