Foods You'll Think Twice About Now

Options

Replies

• Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oil+Vinegar. I'm discovering a LOT of places use a cheaper oil than olive and it tastes gross and isn't good for you.

Peanut butter. Trying to reduce the amount of PB I use-1 tbsp instead of 2. I'm also learning suggested serving doesn't HAVE to be my serving. I know, seems obvious, but I'm easily influenced apparently.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sour cream. It was my FAVORITE condiment ever...and now I won't touch it.

Oh, I totally forgot about condiments. I released that sometimes the condiment was like 1/4 the calories of the actual food, which is ridiculous.

Sooo true. I'm starting to make a mental list of condiment subsitutes:

Mayo (sammiches)-hummus or mustard
    Ketchup-salsa (also, salsa is great on potatoes instead of sour cream and butter)
    Sweet potato-no butter and brown sugar, just cinnamon and nutmeg if available
    Most things-pepper. Trying to reduce my salt intake.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Cheese. It's a favorite of mine, and I still eat some, but not like I used to. It's just so calorie dense - one ounce doesn't really satisfy me. I shudder to think how many calories must have been in the portions of cheese i used to eat freely. I could go through a wedge of Manchego in 2 days.
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Cheeses, any of them. Love them all, especially with wine and bread also not good... and they are all fat! lol Guess that wasn't too hard to think about....but I didn't realise they were THAT high in fat for such a small amount. :sad: That is why I exercise lots if I plan to have it in my dinner hehe.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts Cereal has a lot of calories!!

I know! The first time I dieted (many years ago) I was shocked at the small amount of grape nuts you got in a serving and the high number of calories.

I almost never eat them anymore, although the do add a nice crunch to yogurt.

I have to admit that still one of my favorite things to eat is grape nuts drowned in milk and sugar (you have to let them drown).
  • SunshineMaye
    Options
    I was shocked to find out the yogurt I was feeding my kids had 29g of sugar for 6 oz (that's over 7 teaspoons).
    Now they have plain yogurt, with fruit, flax seed meal and stevia . O and no food die that way ether. Best part is they like it.
  • glowbugg
    glowbugg Posts: 12
    Options
    -PB&J Sandwiches - basically slathering sugar and fat between two servings of starch.
    -Cereal - I'm a cereal addict! I could eat it for any meal, and sometimes twice a day.
    -Fruit Juice - I still think it's better than something like soda since at least it has some nutrients, but since it's a lot of sugar and calories without the added fiber of a whole piece of fruit I try to limit how much fruit juice I drink.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Nutella.

I miss it so much! :cry:
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    Nutella.

I miss it so much! :cry:

Not relevant to your post, but I love the name :bigsmile: (there is no geekyface so I had to go with the smiley one hahaha)
  • cheetosandburritos
    cheetosandburritos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Funny how most of this thread has been healthy foods...

Foods I'd think twice about are:
    -anything at restaurants (1000+mg sodium? no thanks)
    -peanut butters like Jif w/sooo many added ingredients (I love brands like MaraNatha though)
    -Nutella (more sugar than cake icing. Healthy kids breakfast add on, say what??)
    -most cereals
    -pop-tarts</3
    -jams, jellies, and syrups
    -cheesecake (which I will still enjoy on occasions:3)

I haven't eaten a pop tart since I actually looked at the nutritional info. It's 400 calories for 2 pop tarts! They trick you by making one pop tart a serving size- that's open up a package, take one piece out and save the other one for tomorrow. Sneaky *kitten*. Pop tarts are delicious, but I can think of so many more productive ways to take in 400 calories, I just can't justify eating them anymore :(
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fast food for sure. I can fit the calories in, but the sodium is just insane. Most of the time the 3 days of bloating from the 3000 mg of sodium is not worth the meal. Unless it's the Olive Garden :) Or Japanese food.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Chipotle!
    They always talk about how their stuff is better for you but you could have more than a thousand calories in just one burrito!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Hee hee- funny, where do you think Olive OIL comes from....sorry just found that amusing!!!

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fast food, restaurant food in general, most packaged foods (chips, cookies, brownies, candy...etc...).

As for food that I eat at home, cheese is better off shredded than eaten as pieces. 1 cup of the cheese that I use has 110 calories (shredded), but one ounce (about one medium-cut piece) has the same! Much better off shredding the cheese and nuking/heating the tortilla/bread you put it on, or using it in other recipes.

Peanut butter is also high-calorie, so I measure out a serving before use.
  • italianspyce
    italianspyce Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wow well said....i eat pretty healthy, and would not deprive myself restricting god things...now chocolate ice cream and beer, these are things i look at objectively and go hmmmm
  • RWBoston
    RWBoston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm more careful with bread, specifically on sandwiches or burgers. I eat mine open-faced anymore.

Yogurt is another one. I stick to Greek or Plain Non-Fat varieties. Love the flavored Yoplaits, but there's so much sugar.

The banana discussion makes me laugh a little. I just ate two bananas yesterday. I'm a bit of a fiend :)
  • TheBooBooStew
    TheBooBooStew Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hamburger meat, cheese, frozen "diet" meals
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I eat most things that I love, but I've more or less given up on store-bought cookies and baked goods. I still eat homemade baked goods occasionally, because they're so much tastier and more worth the calories. I've also given up chips and crackers, since they aren't satisfying, and I'd rather save my "discretional" calories for something I love (like the aforementioned homemade goodies).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the only foods i think twice about are those that are throw away and have no nutritional value: chips, cookies, candy ,ice cream etc. i can easily eat 2000 calories of that stuff and still be hungry

i still eat them every now and then, but not regularly.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Beer. It's really the only thing that I wish had a healthier version. But occasionally I will want pasta, and I have a tiny bit, and craving gone.