Why are grandparents just too honest

Options
My grandfather came from mexico a few weeks ago and the first thing he tells me is " I couldnt recognize you cause you got so fat":frown: . I swear they are just too honest. Then just yesterday while playing "LOTERIA" my sister is telling everyone that she believes that her daughter is my daughter. Because we are too alike plus she doesn't like to eat just like how I was back when I was her age and my grandma tells my sister (in front of everyone) " if she didnt eat much then why is she fat". Grandparents you gotta love them!!

Replies

• ednawhistle
    ednawhistle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    LMFAO! i swear they think that just cause they're old they can get away with it, and u know what, its true. What can we say to them? nothing, just suck it up and move one
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    'Cause they are old and don't give a frak.... we will be there one day too... :drinker:
  • ednawhistle
    ednawhistle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    'Cause they are old and don't give a frak.... we will be there one day too... :drinker:

i swear im a mean person now, im gonna be even meaner when i get older
  • 170isthin
    170isthin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable! too bad I can't think of a good comeback.
  • noellyenciso
    Options
    Unbelievable! too bad I can't think of a good comeback.

I know... all i did was just smile sweetly at them thinking i know im fat damn it i dont like being told the truth lol
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My Great Aunt bought the Tae Bo videos one year when I was high school because she thought I was "looking a little bigger around the middle"
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    My Grandmother was awesome- but very much into looks, appearances, and social status. She would say whatever was on her mind. She once told me "Good God, your *kitten* is getting big"! And she'd never fail to remind me when it was time for highlights to cover the "*kitten* brown" hair color I have. I miss her every day!
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Cause they are old and dont give a damn.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    yea, the "i'm old, so I can be an *kitten*" thing.

I don't care, I still let them know how I feel anyway.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My 98 year old Grandma told me this past weekend (I hadn't seen her in a few months) that my face looked full and I had gained weight. And then ventured a guess "8-10 pounds, right?" But then she told me I had lovely, healthy hair :huh:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    When i was 13-14, my grandparents lived next door to us. During the winter, i went to their house pretty much every night to play cards. They would always say stuff like that! One day it was "you are getting to be big.You are turning into a fat Maine Girl!" (we had just moved from MA to ME). LITERALLY the next night it was "you are too thin! Have some pie!" as they slid a piece of fresh pie under my nose. lol no joke!
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    My grandfather came from mexico a few weeks ago and the first thing he tells me is " I couldnt recognize you cause you got so fat":frown: . I swear they are just too honest. Then just yesterday while playing "LOTERIA" my sister is telling everyone that she believes that her daughter is my daughter. Because we are too alike plus she doesn't like to eat just like how I was back when I was her age and my grandma tells my sister (in front of everyone) " if she didnt eat much then why is she fat". Grandparents you gotta love them!!
    It's because they grew up in an era where you didn't have to be politically correct. You just said what was on your mind.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh and I hadn't actually gained weight and my face isn't any fuller?! I think she's just forgetful.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    My Nana is the same, always on at me about my hair needing doing and such...she's overweight herself so she leaves me alone about that sort of thing but still...sometimes it's a real confidence-crushing moment when she feels the need to comment on various imperfections.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    yeah my grandmother always tells me that I will never lose my belly... rude!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Yep...two gems that stick out in my mind was my grandmother asking wear my wedding band was, and when I said I couldn't wear it so it was in the jewelry box she repleid, "huh...have you gotten that fat?"

The worst was when my grandpa-in-law thought he was giving me a compliment at Easter the year I was pregnant. I was excited and telling the whole family (my husband's father, stepmother, aunt, etc.) that I was finally starting to get a little baby bump at 20 weeks. Grandpa pipes up with, "well, you know...it'll be awhile before you can tell you're pregnant cause it takes longer for bigger women to show." Apparently in the 50's you were supposed to hide the fact that you were with child, so he honestly thought he was complimenting me.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I much prefer brutal honesty over the passive aggressive manipulation from my grandmother and my husband's grandparents. I'm glad we live a province away, otherwise I don't know how long I would last before I ended up slapping on of them or giving them a piece of my mind.
  • eleblanc999
    Options
    my grandma is like that!!! she is so brutally honest lol!! but if i throw some punches back, she doesnt get offended at all... she usually just laughs. i love my grandma <3
  • noellyenciso
    Options
    my grandma is like that!!! she is so brutally honest lol!! but if i throw some punches back, she doesnt get offended at all... she usually just laughs. i love my grandma <3

Heaven forbid I do that....as old as she is (with bad knees) I believe she would use her walking cane and beat the living day lights out of me . I don't dare mess with grandma LOL