5K Advice

Options
Good morning everyone! I am totally new to MFP, and I'm looking for advice. I am a 5'6" 30 year old female, currently at 200 lbs. I'm looking to run my first 5K on October 27th. I've been looking at running programs to train with. I have a treadmill at home. I'm not in shape at all at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions for a training program other than C25K? Thanks!

Replies

• millertammy7
    Options
    BUMP
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are starting from scratch then you don't really need a structured program yet as much as you just need to build your fitness to the point you can run 3 miles. When you can do that a structured program would be more useful.

C25K works but if you want something else this is what I did. Schedule yourself to run 3 or 4 times a week. On each of these runs set out to cover 3 miles. For each of them run as far as you can and then finish the run taking walk breaks as needed. I used to run 25 steps then walk 25. When that was easy I ran 50 steps and walked 25, etc. after a number of weeks you will find you no longer need to walk.

Keep the pace slow and easy. The time to build speed is later. Also, it's going to be hard at first; it is for everyone. Don't let that discourage you - it will get easier.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you want any but C25K? I'm just curious. I've had many friends have success with that program. I did it on my own with no knowledge and really no plan. The whole idea is to increase whatever your run intervals are every week. My first week I was so out of shape i was out of breath after 30 seconds. I would walk until I got my breath back (5 minutes) and then run another 30 seconds. I did this for 30 minutes. The next week out, I did a 1 minute run, 5 minute run, etc. Then 1:30, then 2. Once I got up to 5 I started shortening the walk breaks by 30 seconds.

If you are truly starting from scratch you don't want to over do. Be sure you're comfortable walking 3 miles before you start adding in jogging intervals. And I wouldn't worry so much about covering that distance during your training runs. I've found its better to base training on time, rather than distance. Keep each run to 30 minutes until you're running 10 minutes non-stop. At that point you can up it to 40 minutes.

One last thing - DO NOT RUN TOO FAST! Its is very common for new runners to go waaay too fast. You want to be able to breathe. You should never be so out of breath that you are panting or gasping for air. It's even better if you are able to carry on a conversation. Speed comes last. First it is building your base (endurance). After that you can bring up your speed.

Feel free to friend me if you like. I've been running for almost 6 years now and it is something I just love! Good luck!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K and it worked great for me. I couldn't even jog or slog a block when I started. Now I've trained for two half marathons.

Why not try the C25k?
  • millertammy7
    Options
    I am new to this, and out of shape. The C25K seemed like a good plan, but I'm not sure I can quite do that yet.
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what the couch to 5 k plan is all about. When I started, it was hard. I'm 32, 5'5", started at 247 lbs, have a bad back and a bum ankle, and haven't run in more than 12 years! I did the first day, and just was a big wobbly, out-of-breath mess. I took my rest day and started the 2nd day. Guess what? It wasn't as bad as the first one! Took another rest day. Day 3 was pretty good! Then I looked ahead to week 2 and got nervous, so after my rest day I did day 3 again! The first day of week 2 really wasn't bad when I got to it! Don't get me wrong, I definitely knew I was working out, but it felt so good! I just finished week 5 day 2 today. Day 3 is a full 20 minutes of running. I'm soooooo scared to start it, but I know I'll be fine. I have been the rest of the time! I might have to slow down for part of it, but I don't think I'll have to go to a walk. There are lots of free apps for your phone that let you listen to music and tell you when to start running and when to walk. Why not give one a try to see if you like it?
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My form of exercise before starting was walking anywhere from two to four miles almost daily.

I have friends who weighed similar to you and had done zero exercise and did the program.

Best advice:

If it feels too hard and you want to stop, trying slowing way down. There were times I felt my walking was faster than my jogging.

And, if you feel you need to repeat a day or a week, then do that until you can complete them. There is no shame in repeating days or weeks. There is no race to complete the program, if that makes sense.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    C25K is excellent. You should try it. You can always repeat weeks if you are struggling.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The "C" stands for "Couch"
    ... Or "Cookie" actually

But really, it's a program that is designed for people who are literally coming off the couch into a running routine. You will do fine. If you don't think so, then spend a few weeks briskly walking for a mile or two a day. That would work you up to it very well.
  • jameswanless
    Options
    I'd say (as a veteran runner and long-time 10k and marathon clinic coach) that you don't just 'run as far as you can' and then walk til you can get to 3 miles.

I'd strongly recommend a walk-run type of program designed for simply completing your first 5k. If you aren't used to running and are admittedly 'not in shape' then you want to gradually build.

I have two recommendations for you. If you want to use a program and do it yourself, something like this couch to 5k is ideal at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml but second, I'd really suggest you find a clinic. One of the strongest motivators can be making friends with people in a similar place and motivating each other to do the workouts.

As a new runner, running with others will generally work far better than doing it on your own.
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K because I literally couldn't run for more than a minute without feeling like I was going to die. I soon fell off that wagon because I would have to repeat weeks and that was just fustrating. I found that for myself the best way was to find a good pace and go as far as I could, stop or walk when I need and keep going when I was ready but sometimes I had to push myself because I just didnt feel like it. In a months time I have gone from running slower than snot and only about half a mile if I was lucky to 2 miles at a pace of 12.33. Now I'm working on adding distance once I get to 12. Tho I hope to run my first 5k next month.... well technically it's a mud run but still sounds fun :). Good luck.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am new to this, and out of shape. The C25K seemed like a good plan, but I'm not sure I can quite do that yet.

Definitely start by walking. Walk at a good pace and do that 3x a week (minimum) until you are comfortable going 30 minutes non-stop. Then jump into C25K - it'll take you the rest of the way. You can do it!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

Definitely start by walking. Walk at a good pace and do that 3x a week (minimum) until you are comfortable going 30 minutes non-stop. Then jump into C25K - it'll take you the rest of the way. You can do it!

Sounds like what I was about to say. You can even use c25k as a waking program to start with. There's also a book called 'the beginning runners handbook' which has a 0-10k plan with some simpler interval times. In the back of the book it shows it both as a running and walking plan.
    You don't have to stick with any one program, the point it to get moving, but not overdo it (don't increase faster than the program, slower is ok), since your muscles and bones need to catch up to the change...
  • Keyblr
    Keyblr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Believe me the C25K is the way to go. I was starting from scratch, not really in shape at all and I'm now on the middle of week 6. If you would have asked me 6 weeks ago if I could run for 10 minutes straight I would have said you were crazy. I'm still skeptical that the next three weeks will get me to a 5K, but I have faith.

Plus, you can repeat weeks/days as often as you would like. I haven't felt the need to do that yet, but the option is there.