Is my goal weight too high?

Options

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel is best for you.
    There is NO right or wrong as long as you're being healthy and finding happiness

I'm 5'5" and goal of 130ish
    That's just me
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    It's more about body composition that the actual number on the scale, honestly. And as others have said, it's purely individual. I have a weight goal, but my biggest goal is more defined leg muscles and a stronger core so I can be a faster, stronger runner!
  • mrscandacehicks
    Options
    Hello! I don't think you goal weight is to high! I am also 5.2.5" My goal weight is 150 amd I currently weigh 207. My doctor even agreed that 110 would be smal for me. You dont want to lose your curves!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and my goal weight is 130, I am sitting at 135ish right now and am pretty happy. It's about whatever works for you, don't worry about people who think that healthy means miniature.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Your goals are for you. Get to your goal and then reass it. If you are happy with how you look and feel that is all that matters. If when you get to your goal, you want to lose more, make a new goal. Who knows, once you get there you might find out you want to gain a little back (weight training or something like that), it is all about how you feel in your body and if your are happy and healthy.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am 5'3" and my goal is 140. I have a large frame and think anything too much smaller would look bad on me. But again that is just me.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and my goal is 140-145. It all depends on how you are built. I weigh 150 pounds right now -- I wear a size 8. Honestly, get to your first goal and evaluate yourself. I am now cool with 150 since I started working out and have tightened up. Sure I a we bit over on the BMI, but my body fat is in a normal range, so...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I was reading another thread and it seems like other women around my height have much lower goal weights than me. I am 34 years old, 5'2.5'' My start weight was 185lbs and as of today I am 166.6lbs. My goal weight is 145, which is lower than I ever been my entire adult life. I thought getting to 145 was going to be extremely hard and I see others have a goal of 110-115lbs. To me 110 is way too skinny. Am I looking at this incorrectly? Should I strive for a lower weight? I really don't want to. Could it be a culture thing? I am Puerto Rican and many of us tend to be a little thicker (in a sexy way).

**Sorry guys, I just realized that I may have posted this question in the wrong place.**

It's not too high. If you've never been 145, that sounds like a good goal. If you get there and decide you want to lose more, go for it. If you get there and are happy, that's great too! Setting a goal weight that's too low can set you up for failure. It can also lead to an unhealthy relationship with food as you continually decrease your calories in order to reach an unattainable goal.
  • Mandirella
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and my goal weight for now is 130. That is quite an accomplishment from the 170 I am. I figure when I do get to that weight I can then adjust my goal as needed.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal is 130-135...but I would be THRILLED to even hit 150. I was 115 in high school but I'm a woman now, not a child, so I'm not making my goal so unrealistic it discourages me.

I know what you mean, though, I've thought the same thing. But I love my curves and don't want to lose them. Plus I love to cook and eat so to get to 115 again, I'd probably have to restrict my diet too much. In the end you really can't compare yourself to others, it's your own unique journey. :flowerforyou:
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think that too sometimes when I read people's goals. I think it just depends on if you like what you see when you get there. Everyone is built so differently, we all carry weight different and weight.....actually weight is just a #. I just wanna be happy with what I look like and I use a # to set goals. IDK what I will look like at 130, and maybe I won't ever get there. As long as I like what I see and I am comfortable in my own skin, then IDK what the scale actually says.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I've thought the same thing as well. Right now I'm just targeting that goal weight and I'll see what happens when I get there, if I'm happy with it, I'll keep it, if I'm not then I'll keep going...but I feel like I have a long way to go anyways haha...do what feels right for you.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    supposedly my healthy weight is anything between 168-196lbs. I'm just aiming for the 196 and then I'll look at how i feel about losing more.

I'm happy to cross that bridge when I get to it!
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and set my goal for 150. But as I get closer and look at myself I'm thinking of trying to drop down to 140. Of course I'll have to keep that to myself as my kids think I'm great where I'm at. :happy:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I think goals should be incremental. If you set too lofty a goal in the beginning it's easy to get discouraged.

I'm 5'4" and started on MFP at 170. My initial goal was 145, but when I got there I quickly realized that I could easily keep going. Yes, it took longer to get from 145 to 135, but it happened with little effort. I am now shooting for 125, but I am not so much focusing on the weight as the body fat now.

Go to 145 and see how you feel. If you're happy there, by all means, stop. You may however get there and find you feel like you want to keep going.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I was reading another thread and it seems like other women around my height have much lower goal weights than me. I am 34 years old, 5'2.5'' My start weight was 185lbs and as of today I am 166.6lbs. My goal weight is 145, which is lower than I ever been my entire adult life. I thought getting to 145 was going to be extremely hard and I see others have a goal of 110-115lbs. To me 110 is way too skinny. Am I looking at this incorrectly? Should I strive for a lower weight? I really don't want to. Could it be a culture thing? I am Puerto Rican and many of us tend to be a little thicker (in a sexy way).

**Sorry guys, I just realized that I may have posted this question in the wrong place.**

I'm 5'5.5" with a large frame and my goal weight is 125-140 based on body composition. If I were you, I would stick with your goal weight for now. When you get there you can reevaluate based on your body composition (body fat percentage, amount of lean muscle). If you think 110 is too low, don't strive for something you already see as being impossible.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's weird how weight sits differently on people the same height etc

I am 48 years old and 5 ft 6 and am aiming for 147ish - lots of people on here the same height have goals in the 120's, on me that would look horrendously thin and haggard

Ten years ago I got to 140 and found it impossible to maintain (I had also got there by 'dieting' so fell off the wagon pretty quickly)
    Ten years on I think that would look way too thin particularly in the face

this time I will go by looks rather than numbers AND this time is FOREVER!!!!
  • gotpaper
    gotpaper Posts: 17
    Options
    I say do it by how YOU feel, you'll know the right weight when you feel it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm going by body fat %. i'm 5'5 and my goal weight is 140-145 which would put me at a healthy body fat percentage of 18-20%

i'm black so i've definitely had a few friends tell me that was too low and that as a black woman i should be "thick" or "have curves" or whatever in the hell people want to use as a euphemism to say they are overweight.

i'm losing weight to be healthy, not to fit into someone else's definition of what my ethnic group should or shouldnt look like. it's not like diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease, etc are going to give a crap about "oh mesha just wanted to look thick and curvy" :laugh:
  • HeatherTransformed
    HeatherTransformed Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Someone from this site posted this in another thread.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!