Not trying to be annoying, but please help me out guys.

Options
I am back on the weight loss roller coaster and I always seem to make it a little over a week and then I lose motivation. Well it's that time. I've been at it for a little over a week and I've gone from 195 to 185 and now I'm back at 190. I am in this with my friend and we have a small wager on each weigh-in. Tomorrow is the weigh in and I think this is going to be a time that I weigh more this week than last. I don't know how to keep myself motivated. The exercise and food is becoming boring. Any motivation or support is greatly appreciated. How do you keep things interesting?

Replies

• cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    set a goal for yourself...go to the gym and build up your muscles..thats what young guys do but most of all, set a goal to get excited about...Good Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. If it's REALLY important to you, then you do WHATEVER it takes to get it done. If not, then you'll just keep quitting or giving up.
    Think about it, if someone told you that if you didn't lose ____ pounds by a certain date, you'd flat out die, you would find a way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Well for one thing, I've heard that if you're losing that fast it's really easy to gain it back. A good recommended goal is about a pound a week. It's slow going but it will stay off if you keep it up!

As far as wanting variety, I think that is a GOOD thing to pursue! Find lots of activities you enjoy and mix it up! Some days walk, some days hike, some days go to the gym. Same with food! Retrain your taste buds to enjoy quality foods. There is so much variety in the food world that includes things that are good for you and taste great. Try cooking for yourself! There are lots of easy meals with just a few ingredients that taste great and are full of nutrients. Make cooking new meals a mini-challenge in and of itself. =) Variety variety variety... have 5 course meals (SMALL courses...) and you will not get bored of your food. Pursuing health is not as limiting as you think if you look at it differently. =)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If exercise and food are boring then I think you're doing it wrong. There are tons of good, diet-friendly foods out there and tons of good ways to exercise. If you're bored with what you're doing, find a way to fit your weight loss goals into what you like to do instead of what you think you're supposed to do.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ok...so while I do believe you have to be your own motivation, I also KNOW and believe that having a support group helps to keep you moving in the right direction.
    Set small goals for yourself and make them known to your support people. I have a couple of challenge groups going on FB where we are doing 1000 in 20 days where we check in daily to be accountable to one another and to keep motivated.
    The food portion is easy to fix...change what you’re eating. Food shouldn’t be boring (which is funny for me to say since I don’t really like food..I eat because I have to for survival). Make sure that you’re eating clean, unprocessed foods and you can not only eat more, but you’ll have a larger variety.

Please feel free to message me if any of this has made sense to you and you want more help. I’d be happy to be your accountability parterre to help keep you motivated.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Get off the roller coaster, and get on the trolley. slow and steady.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you are getting bored with the food and exercise then change it up! Try some new foods, or new ways of cooking foods you already like. You're young so I'm going to generalize and assume you probably don't cook much. Try googling some new recipes and practice! Mix up your exercise routine... Start lifting weights, do some new and fun cardio (bike riding outdoors, basket ball or other sports), try swimming or hiking, check out a martial arts class, etc.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lol! Love it!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Obviously if you're gaining and losing ten pounds a week, you're doing something wrong. Spend some time here reading up on information about healthy, sustainable weight loss and you will reach your goals.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I listen to NPR's This American Life when I go on runs. Makes it much less boring than just listening to music. Also, you could get a treadmill and watch TV.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    Think of how great you will look and feel once the weight is gone :)
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. If it's REALLY important to you, then you do WHATEVER it takes to get it done. If not, then you'll just keep quitting or giving up.
    Think about it, if someone told you that if you didn't lose ____ pounds by a certain date, you'd flat out die, you would find a way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have to agree with this. You have to REALLY WANT it. Not the "I really want to lose weight (but not really going to do much about it)" For me I became borderline obsessed with it. Losing weight and bettering my life became my everything. I decided if I was going to do this then it had to become my life and I had to be okay with it. I have gotten to the point in which what I eat and how I exercise is how I now and will live my life, but I will never stop educating myself. If I come across something that I can incorporate into my life, then great. If it doesn't work, then I move on.

I hope you find what works for you! Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It is a long and hard journey! You just have to decide for yourself that you can really do it and commit. Find things you like to do and experiment with different foods. The same old same old does get quite boring after a while and I am sure that most of us have experienced this..

Like another person said, I get through a 45 min to 1 hour cardio sesh by watching tv and NOT looking at the clock no matter what.

It sounds like your weight is fluctuating, which is normal, but only within a few pounds. Id say like 5 pounds is alot to fluctuate... Try decreasing your sodium intake as it is supposed to make you retain water thus gain or lose a few lbs.

Nothing good comes easily. Dedication and hard work are the only avenues of success.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Brilliant. :D

What helped me stay motivated was not having it be about losing weight, but about getting stronger and more fit. I wanted to be able to run a 5k with my brother and his daughter. He's 15 years older than me, she's 15 years younger, and both were always athletic. I figured our genetic makeup can't be THAT much different, since we're family, so if they could do it, so could I!

And within three months, I was running a 5k with them. Within 5 months, I finished a 5 mile race ahead of my brother, and just 7 seconds behind my 24 year old niece!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options

^^ THIS!!! You will not be successful in the long run with a fad diet, drastically reducing your cals, or any other lifestyle change that you can not see yourself doing for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!

While having supportive friends, on this site or in real life, will help with encouragement, the only person that truly can make the change is YOU...and that comes from a desire within...good luck!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I am back on the weight loss roller coaster and I always seem to make it a little over a week and then I lose motivation. Well it's that time. I've been at it for a little over a week and I've gone from 195 to 185 and now I'm back at 190. I am in this with my friend and we have a small wager on each weigh-in. Tomorrow is the weigh in and I think this is going to be a time that I weigh more this week than last. I don't know how to keep myself motivated. The exercise and food is becoming boring. Any motivation or support is greatly appreciated. How do you keep things interesting?

I find something good to watch when I work out...or if I walk my dog, I find good music to listen to.

I hound allrecipes.com for new and healthy things to make for meals. A rut will be the beginning of a plateu-both in your diet and exercise...check out allrecipes.com. I've found some fantasic meals on that site AND they all have the nutrition facts right there for you....also MFP's food database seems to have lots of recipes from that site.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I love this! so much so I'm gonna steal it and use it in my profile. wait- what? Stealing...no, not me, you can't prove anything! :noway:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Simple and deep insight.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    People can offer you encouragement and inspiration but true motivation is all internal.
    We either have that drive or need to find a way to ignite it.

To light that fire, be honest, and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be healthy and fit? Discover the real answer, and attach great pleasure to that as you set your goals.
    Feel and experience that joy when you think of being healthy and fit.

And then ask yourself why do you NOT want to be fat?
    Connect with that reason burning pain that you can really feel every time you think about being fat.

This is the key to internal motivation.
    Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail in their efforts over and over.
    Take the time to do this, and you'll touch off a powder keg of determination and drive.
    Sure, you may have challenges; we all do, but you'll keep punching and reach your goals.

All Is Possible!
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight to win a bet, you are doing it for the wrong reason...you either want to be healthy and fit, or you don't. If it's important to you, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find excuses.

Set reasonable goals, commit to them, follow the MFP program, get some supportive friends who will encourage you, and enjoy your success. Don't be afraid of failure, most of us fail at something every day. Learn from your mistakes and nothing will stop you from achieving your goals.