Which stat do you most frequently go over?

Options
Hi All - I am very new to MFP - just joined last week after losing about 30 pounds on WW. I am still playing around with my settings and am viewing calories, carbs, fat, protein, sugar, and sodium with my meals. The first shocker to me was the amount of sugar in everything! I like MFP because it is highlighting things that I never paid attention to while on WW. The first couple of days I was going over sodium but now I am below.

So what does everyone else like to track and for which do you struggle to stay below? I am finding the ability to balance carbs/fat/protein to be a bit of a challenge but I think it will just take a bit of tweaking to my regular daily food intake.

Thanks!

Replies

• Lee716
    Lee716 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I definitely like to keep track of my protein and fiber intake. I frequently go over my allotted amount of sugar. I think it's great to see the individual component breakdown and I factor in my remaining amounts in choosing snacks.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I usually go over on my fiber, but I figure more fiber is a good thing.
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I track carbs/fat/protein (40/20/40) as well as sodium (1500) and sugar. I have a hard time meeting those goals, but I am learning to adjust the foods I choose. I am considering switching sugar and tracking fiber instead. I most frequently go over fat and carbs. :sad:

I am relatively new to MFP also and am learning tons! I have become more fit in the past four months than I have in previous years.

Good luck on your journey!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am consistently over on protein and sugar. I don't worry about it at all.
  • CatBrush00
    CatBrush00 Posts: 30
    Options
    Currently I am struggling with going over Fat! Usually only two or three numbers over, but it is still frustrating.
    I am going on my second week, so i am sure i will get the hang of it soon.

Right now i am just tracking calories, but I will be tracking fat as soon as I can get the hang of it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar is set pretty low and just a couple of pieces of fruit can put you over so I don't pay too much attention to it. I'm also over on my protein everyday (on purpose) it's another setting that MFP has set to low.
  • ihave42cats
    Options
    i always go over sugar, 100% of the time, but 99% of it is always natural sugar, found in milk or fruits. i don't even look at it anymore. other than that, salt. its so hard for me to make my own foods from scratch in my tiny joke of a kitchen, so most of my stuff is processed. plus it sems that 90% of all low fat/fat free foods are high in salt!!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on carbs and way under on fat. I have to get a handle on a better balance. MFP sets sugar and protein too low so I don't pay attention to those two.
  • judith3horns
    Options
    I'm pretty much consistently over on protein! But i never really pay it much mind, could that be harmful?
  • seashman
    seashman Posts: 51
    Options
    It's a rare day when I'm not over my protein limit, but I hear MFP's limits are set pretty low. Besides, you need to take in a seriously excessive amount of protein before there's any real risk of harm, so I don't worry about it. :)

If I were tracking sugar I'm sure I'd be consistently over that limit too, but I don't bother tracking it since MFP doesn't have a way to differentiate naturally occurring sugars from added sugars. I eat as much fruit as I can and stay away from any and all refined sugar and that seems to work just fine.
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tracked sugar briefly and found that one medium Fuji apple and three steamed baby beets put me into the red for the day. I stopped tracking sugar. :tongue:
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over on fat and under on carbs. 500g of carbs is really hard for me to eat in a day, especially while trying to restrict sugar and fat intake.
  • dmsimone
    dmsimone Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! Is there a way to edit the default values that MFP puts in for each of these items?
  • abelle206
    abelle206 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sugar
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i go over on protein (which is a good thing) and sugar (which is terrible) most days.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I go over Sugar a lot, but it's mostly because of fruit, and I'm over sodium a lot, which I'm not happy about.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sodium! That stuff is everywhere! LOL!
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Since I started tracking on here - I joined on Thursday - I've noticed that I've been consistently going over on sugar.
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Mine is sugar but by the looks of other posters, theirs is too...so maybe MFP is set too low for sugar. Again, like others, my sugar is coming from fruits (fruit smoothies, actually - homemade - I can't get enough of 'em :) so I'm not too worried but, yeah....doesn't feel good to look and see that beaming red with a negative number in front of it...LOL
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well today I went over sugar and fibre even though I was under 1000 calories, so I think its probably set a bit too low.