I lost 32 percent of myself

Options
jimgatewood
jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
Hello, I'm 65 and retired. Short story is Before Christmas my doctor told me I was a type 2 diabetic and would need to go on meds. Having raised a son who was type 1 diabetic since age 5, I knew that I wanted to avoid that lifestyle. I inquired as to a way out. I was told perhaps if I lost a great deal of weight the numbers would drop, but that he doubted whether that was possible. When I asked what was the best way to lose that much weight, he replied calorie counting was the my best bet. At two hundred fifty pounds with high blood pressure and acid reflux I knew it was going to be a diffficult task. I made an appointment for three months from then to do blood tests and see where my weight was then. I researched constantly, began charting my food intake with a smartphone and begin working out twice a day. The outcome...Three months later at the doctors visit I had lost 40 pounds, was experiencing low blood pressure, and had dropped down to a prediabetic number. As of yesterday I have lost 81 pounds, been taken off BP medication, taken off acid reflux meds and feel great. I went from 250 pounds to a weight of 169. MFP has been a remarkable tool. I have learned so much and am still learning so much from all the fantastic people on this site. Thanks to all of you.To befriend please send a message. I am now learning a maintenance program. Wish me luck.

21604338.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Wonderful turn around!
  • loudwige
    loudwige Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the huge weight lost!
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    That is a phenomenal success. Congratulations!!
  • Gulgamesh
    Gulgamesh Posts: 4
    Options
    Great job and great story to help others get motivated. I wish my first 3 months were as productive as yours.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Great job!!!
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Very nicely done! Very inspirational, especially since I'm looking to lose about 1/3 of myself.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Jim, That's wonderful news! Congratulations! Gives me hope. My doctor was suggesting Metformin for me as I seemed to be border line diabetic, I told him to hold off for 3 months and vola! Loss of 30lbs resulted in blood sugar being well within the normal range! Now I am hoping, within the next few months, I'll get rid of BP medicine as well just like you did. And you are right, it has to be done with diet and exercise combined!:happy:
  • mezzy11
    mezzy11 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WOW!!...Now that is a success story. Very proud of you..and be very proud of yourself. Being a nurse, I have seen first hand what being overweight can do to your health and the effects of high blood pressure, diabetes etc. This is what inspired me to do something about my weight. That is remarkable. You are a true example that IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!!!!! Well done :smile:
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Way to take control of your health!
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck, but I think you've already proven that you can make your own luck! :)
  • mrsimes
    mrsimes Posts: 8
    Options
    That is awesome. I hope that by this time next year I will have my own success story. Sexy, new body here I come.
  • MDamoun
    MDamoun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sir I have a great respect for you.

You are inspiration for the younger ones that if one just make up his/her mind then no matter what everything is possible.

Have a healthy, peaceful and porpserous life ahead.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind words. I wish you all success in your weight loss challenge and I hope you have as much fun as I did.
    Thank you for what you've taught me and I'm more that willing to reciprocate. Now to have fun with my new lifestyle.

21604338.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    this is so inspiring! awesome work!
  • jpvanzut
    jpvanzut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. A new lease on life
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! I am so happy for you!

My father has type 2 diabetes and it has led to many other serious and debilitating health problems. All your hard work will be so worth it if you can avoid all that trouble.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!