Anyone coming from Weight Watchers to here???

Options
I've always been into fitness and running and if I ate bad, I would just run a few more miles. Apparently now I have to watch what I eat too! I've loosely followed weight watchers before and am trying to figure out the best way to transition to this. Any ideas/suggestions??

Replies

• TrinaTW
    TrinaTW Posts: 88
    Options
    I was doing WW and if you set up MFP with your goals and follow it, it works wonderfully!! The food data base here has everything and it has the barcode scanner also with the phone app. I love it and there is a lot of great support here as well!!
  • igobronco
    igobronco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers online for awhile and before that did the meetings
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am on Weight Watches as well. Just started here recently. I still track the ww way, but it is nice to see how much cholesterol, sodium, etc I use on a daily basis.Also with the new ww point plus, all fresh fruit is free. With this I can still keep and eye on my calories for the day. I may switch completely to MFP after a while. I do find they have more food in database than ww does, which is helpful as well.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am currently an active WW online member. I post on the 50+ Pounds to Lose board. Several people posted about trying MFP and having success with it. Some people have said they are leaving WW to come here because they are not having luck with points plus.

I started at 205 and am now 188. Goal is 132, so I've got a long, bumpy, windy road to go.

Good luck!
    Karen :D
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am still doing WW at first I was tracking both and the points and calories matched up if I was below in points I was also below in calories. I have found it easier to track the calories because I am a creature of habit and it's nice to be able to check mark multiple foods instead of one at a time on WW point tracker. I now only track activity and weight on WW and MFP I track food, activity and the weight. I do attend the weekly meetings and weigh in mostly for accountability and the more things I participate involving my journey the easier it is to stay focused..which is what I need at this time. good luck on your journey.
  • karlagava
    karlagava Posts: 12
    Options
    I was on Weight Watchers too but I decided to switch because my mom has been using MFP with success and let's face it, it's free. I love the support here so far!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    FREE!!!!!
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I track my food here, but still attend the meetings weekly and weigh in with WW
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a year. Lost 80ish pounds and decided to switch in January of this year when my husband started doing WW online. I didn't want to pay for both of us. Now he's switched to MFP as well, so we're both losing for free! :)
  • lwoods17
    lwoods17 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just recently cancelled my online membership to WW, and I am really happy with mfp so far. Calories are a lot easier for me to track, and I am enjoying the support here.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I came straight over from WW and have never looked back~ its actually alot easier than points and you can count every single calorie including fruits and veggies.

I was not losing on WW - but doing well with MFP- feel free to add me as a friend if you need any support along your journey- and welcome :smile:
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm a former weight watcher...lifetime member. i love MFP SO much better!
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have done WW before and found this a very easy to use site...... easy to follow the principals you learned in WW here
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have followed the WW plan a couple of times in my life but never did I have more success than when it was 'old school' calorie counting. The POINTS system is easy enough to follow but too much for my teenager to deal with (converting) and I found that following the new WW I was falling into bad habits of depending too much on the packaging (frozen WW meals, WW snacks, WW icecream). At the end of the day I was spending A LOT OF MONEY on meetings, web site fees, and not making progress. I depended so much on their products I forgot about common sense and using my own imagination to come up with meal ideas.
    Best of Luck! I'm not preaching. Weigh loss or nutrition...whatever your goal is here it's a personal journey and we all need to do what works for us. Best of luck!
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was doing WW since Feb. and joined this site a few months ago. This has more of a food data base-which helps alot, especially if you go by brand names. I love that I can keep checking on my sodium and calories especially. With WW, you are only going by how many points you are allowed. I just stopped going to the meetings a few weeks ago. My leader and the group just don't seem to be very motivating to me anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. My sister feels the same way.

Anyhow, I was tracking with the points for quite a bit, but this past week, I have only using MFP to see how I do without tracking points. WW did get me started in the right direction (for the 4-5th time in 20+ years) and it is a good program. Guess you've got to find the right people to inspire you, and I find more inspiration here lately than I do at the meetings. The thing I like the most is, I don't stress anymore on weigh in day.

Good luck in your journey to better health:)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I get more from this site than WW online. And MFP is free
  • BetterVersionofNV
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of the info!!! I'm more determined now to give it a try. I thought WW was really easy so I should be okay with this. I don't know why but it's just that initial discipline of getting myself to record everything!
  • tonyat483
    tonyat483 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Before my wedding in 2010, I went to WW meetings for a couple of months. Then switched to WW Online for about a year after that. A couple of my friends had told me about MFP so I decided to check it out. I did both WW and MFP for a couple of weeks and decided to cancel my WW subscription. I have loved MFP so far! And its FREE! :) I have lost 34 lbs so far (way more than I lost on WW). Calories are much easier to track than PointsPlus. And the database on MFP is a lot better. Good luck!
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    I came here from WW, I had lost almost 70 lbs with WW and had plateaud for a month, it just wasnt working any more. I had my resting metabolism rate done, set that as my low calorie goal and then I eat back any calories I earn from exercise. I track calories burned with a Fitbit and it feeds its data into MFP. I think you will like it and it sure is cheaper. But, by all means, keep with WW if you need the accountability and motivation from meetings.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a number of years and lost over 75#, but when they switched to PointsPlus it didn't work as well for me. I lost gained for 6 months, since switching to MFP I've had more success. I exercise A LOT, so think it got to the point where I needed to focus on other areas of nutrition.

Feel free to add me as a friend, if you need/want the support.