Foods You'll Think Twice About Now

Options

Replies

• dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider any foods off limits, but I'm definitely thinking more about portion sizes.
  • JLWesterlund
    JLWesterlund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter - 2 slice of whole wheat bread and 2tbsp of creamy peanut butter = 500 Calories :( What??? It pushed Sunday breakfast too almost 1000 calories .... bad bad
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I wish I could teach MFP a nutrition class.... the sugar in fruit is not bad. The cholesterol in eggs is not bad, and dietary cholesterol has negligible effect on serum (blood) cholesterol. As for good fats and bad fats, the only fats that are truly bad for us are trans-fats and excess amounts of omega-6.

Not necessarily true. Sugar in fruit is very bad for a diabetic or someone with Insulin Resistance. But yes, the other points are correct mostly except I would argue about PUFAs not being good.
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So my avocado a day is bad for me..? And my 50% fat macro is dangerous? I think I like how I look/feel with this way of eating..
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've cut out chips, rice, pasta's, breads, things like that. I love olives and will eat them. I don't feel full or satisfied with bananans so don't really eat them anymore. But I've got some freezing to try the ice cream made from frozen banana's
    I could care less about my sugar intake being high as long as it's high from fruits. I don't eat sugar except in some greek yogurt and I'm good with that.
    And Trop50 orange juice I drink not daily but I do drink it, just for the Vit. C .
    And seafood you bet I'm eating it and enjoying every darn bite. Unless you have a cholesterol problem there is no reason why you can't enjoy it.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I work in London some days and used to "treat" myself to a skinny latte on the days when I was commuting by train.

Now I buy a pint of skimmed milk and make my own drinks instead. Not only cheaper - but also the extra latte calories aren't worth it.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I wish I could teach MFP a nutrition class.... the sugar in fruit is not bad. The cholesterol in eggs is not bad, and dietary cholesterol has negligible effect on serum (blood) cholesterol. As for good fats and bad fats, the only fats that are truly bad for us are trans-fats and excess amounts of omega-6.

Not necessarily true. Sugar in fruit is very bad for a diabetic or someone with Insulin Resistance. But yes, the other points are correct mostly except I would argue about PUFAs not being good.

Sugar in fruit is not bad for a diabetic. Where do you get this nonsense?
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    peanut butter
    potatoes
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    the only foods i think twice about are those that are throw away and have no nutritional value: chips, cookies, candy ,ice cream etc. i can easily eat 2000 calories of that stuff and still be hungry

i still eat them every now and then, but not regularly.

those have nutritional value.
    If I'm low on carbs for the day, I routinely will down large amounts of ice cream to hit my goals.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the only foods i think twice about are those that are throw away and have no nutritional value: chips, cookies, candy ,ice cream etc. i can easily eat 2000 calories of that stuff and still be hungry

i still eat them every now and then, but not regularly.

If I'm low on carbs for the day, I routinely will down large amounts of ice cream to hit my goals.

My stomach is cramping just thinking about this...
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Any fast food.
    Even drunk me knows not to order anything when friends want to go through the McDonalds drive-thru!

Anything else, I don't really think twice about...I allow myself to indulge every now and then.
    If I want it, I'll eat it, just as long as it's in moderation, and not swimming in chemicals.
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm much more careful with restaurant food...it can be very deceptive. I got a salad that I thought looked like a healthy choice, only to find out it was over 700 cals!! I try to research beforehand if I can.

I'm in the same boat. I knew eating out wasn't healthy, but I was not prepared for some of the numbers I've seen. You'll always find me researching before I go out and then either splitting the meal with someone or taking half home for leftovers. Though I only get to left overs about half the time!
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    While I am always concerned with calories (I don't track macros at this point--yet, but I'm sure I will someday as I get further into my weight loss), I'm reallly just more concerned with what's in my food. The shorter list of ingredients, the better--oh, and I should be able to pronounce everything on the label.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Cautious of restaurant food, limit the beer intake, chips, candy.. And Definitely going out for ice cream (custard), did that the other day and logged the calories and my jaw dropped.. won't be doing that anytime soon. (700 calories for 1 scoop!)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

My stomach is cramping just thinking about this...
    [/quote]

dairy doesn't affect me too much.
    In a given day i usually have close to a half gallon of milk, a serving of greek yogurt, cheese on something, and a bowl of ice cream. dairy is a really affordable source of protein for me, so it's a staple.
    the only problem I have from it is occasional acne.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Olives! 4 black olives = 25 calories (no biggie), 2.5 grams of fat (just for olives!). That sucks. I put olives in a lot of recipes. I knew they were high in sodium, but I didn't realize they had fat.

Ohhh, dislike! I LOVE OLIVES!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Drinks. I am strictly on water. I never realized how many calories were in them. for example a strawberry lemonaid is typically 200 calories. At one time I would prob drink 3 or 4 of those for a dinner meal. Thats half my calories for the day in liquid!
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    So funny! :laugh: Oops. Thought this would end up under the above comment on ... "nothing. that's what running is for..."
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Eating out in general... and if I do I try and split an entree with a friend. Booze in general, was a wine drinker, have curbed that and junk like chips and cookies, don't even come into our house anymore, unless it is a special occassion and we are having others over to eat the majority of the crap...
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I only think twice if I am low on cals for the day. I don`t cut any foods off if I am craving it I eat it just in the propor portion :) but if its the end of the day (after dinner) and I am craving somthing but I only have say 100 cals left I do think do I really need this or that sometimes I do and sometimes I just get some water but thats really the only time I think twice on anything.