41" and 95 lbs. gone forever

Options
Smokey19
Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
I can't believe that I've lost that much since last September. It has been a difficult but rewarding journey so far. I still have another 60 lbs. that I would like to lose. Right now I am losing motivation, but I keep logging and seeing where I am making slip ups. I know that if I buckle down and watch what I eat closely and exercise more that I will one day reach my goal. If my doctor is right I will only lose another 30 lbs. but I will try to reach where I would like to be. What do you think? Should I follow my doctor's recommendations or go for more? I am 48 yr. old married women without children. I have many, many medical problems and see a lot of doctors to take care of my health.

4 yrs. ago I had a heart attack which required open heart surgery to bypass 5 blocked coronary arteries. Since then I have had to have my gall bladder out and multiple esophageal, stomach and intestinal surgeries to fix problems that I had. I also have diabetes, sleep apnea, asthma, and many more problems. I have to be really careful what I do or I get injured really easily, so exercise has not done very often. It hurts to walk and lift weights. It is hard to explain to my husband, but I have talked him into going to the gym with me and working out in the pool...less impact on joints that way.

Thanks for reading all of this. Have a wonderful week. Feel free to add me if you wish.

Replies

• dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your succes! You've overcome so much! I would listen to your body and listen to your doctor. Aim for 30 and reassess with your doctor if it's realistic to do another 20.

At the end of the day, though, be happy for your successes and what you've already accomplished and overcome!! :D:D
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I think that you are right and I should listen to my doctor's advice. I just wish that this weight would come off faster. It is so frustrating logging everything and doing what I can and not see any results for 2 months. I won't and can't give up. I need to do this for me and my health.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Because it will come off, it just takes time. Hang in there, because it's worth it and you're on the home stretch!

Good luck to you on your journey. :)
  • roland72
    roland72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I think that you are right and I should listen to my doctor's advice. I just wish that this weight would come off faster. It is so frustrating logging everything and doing what I can and not see any results for 2 months. I won't and can't give up. I need to do this for me and my health.

Well done on your results, it is hard to keep going sometimes, but I think you have got the right attitude.

We all wish that our excess weight would come off faster, but unfortunately it takes time. Don't forget that you (like most of us) have put on the weight over years and years of over eating and living unhealthy, you can't reverse that process in the blink of an eye. however, you can see the results of eating differently and any level of exercise straight away. For me for instance, after 1.5 months of sticking to MFP and taking some exercise I am now at a weight level I haven't been for at least 5 years. It just goes to show that weight loss will happen, but at a gradual pace. Just keep going and keep your doctor involved.
  • bshephe2
    bshephe2 Posts: 21
    Options
    Congrats...Well done, be proud of yourself...
  • Kimberlygrey94
    Options
    How did you do it!?!? I applaud you! But really, what did you do?
  • provence9
    provence9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. Very impressive, especially given your challenges. Keep going! Slow loss or no loss is much better than gaining. Everybody hits plateaus. Think of it as maintenance oractice.
  • YankDownUnder
    YankDownUnder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seriously, very well done! Congratulations!

Keep going, listen to your doctor with one ear and your body with the other. Losing all that weight has got to be helping with the blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea and others.

Keep up the good work! :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I also have heart disease and am trying to improve my health, but I haven't got nearly as far as you, and it must be more of a challenge for you with all your additional health problems. Well done!
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Doing a happy dance for you. Congratulations and keep up the good work. As others have said before me, listen to your doctor, keep talking to them, evaluate for yourself when you lose another 30 and then make the decision with their help. Good job!
  • kittybear86
    kittybear86 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.Great job.:smile:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Back in a minute!

Okay I'm back! Congratulations to you!!!! I just hit 100 pounds lost yesterday and I know what a joy this is for you because I'm living it as well. I didn't track measurements much. I know my waist started at 49" and is now 32". I've gone from a size 24 to a size 6 in jeans, 10 in jackets and 8 in skirts/pants. My daughter just sent me an old pair of her pants and they go on and button--they are a 5.

Getting to your question and given all of your doctor's advice, I would just keep plugging away at your new healthier lifestyle. That's what I tell people, I'm making a change, no going back. I will always look for better and healthier ways to get me stronger and healthier. So, whether or not the additional that you set as your goal falls off, you have done an extremely great thing for yourself and I'll bet you feel better too.

For me, just short of one year right now, motivation to get me up and get me going, to eat the right things every day, to look forward to meeting my goal--well, all I do is look at myself in the mirror, and look at that girl in the pink sweater (see my profile). I'm just not that girl anymore. And I now have the tools see me through the rest of my life.

Excellent job! Keep the faith!
  • bbissen
    bbissen Posts: 2
    Options
    You are a true and sincere inspiration to me Smokey. You are dealing with and overcoming extraordinary health problems. You are persevering and achieving. Thank you for being a strong example just "doing it". Awesome... Aloha, BKB
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!