Bike Shorts....

Options
2»

Replies

• jmberg57
    jmberg57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First, get a helmet and NEVER ride without it. I have fallen twice in the last couple of weeks - no injuries, but glad I had my helmet on. If you do not have clipless pedals, you probably won't fall. Second, spend the $$ on a good pair of well padded shorts. No matter how bad you think they look, you WILL be sorry if you don't. Once you start riding 15+ miles, you will notice a difference and probably have some pain if you do not have good bike shorts. Well padded with chamois lining is the best - no underwear as it will cause chafing and it won't wick the moisture away. Lose the pride and buy the shorts.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile pics, bike shorts can be cool, just don't walk around in the grocery store with them on, not cool.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just dusted off my bike, over the weekend, for the first time in over 2 years. I dislike my bike shorts, so I purchased a cushion to put over my seat. Haven't tried it yet, but hoping it will be an acceptable substitute for the ugly shorts.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile pics, bike shorts can be cool, just don't walk around in the grocery store with them on, not cool.

What about walking around Walmart in them... now THAT must be cool :)
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Walmart is ok, that a requirement for fun power point presentations, but only if you have no shirt, underwear hanging out of the shorts, and a pink and yellow wig that is on backwards.
  • Skonch
    Skonch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At one point I was like you, SPANDEX !!!! NOO WAY !!!! Eventually, after swallowing my pride and giving them a try I will not wear anything else when cycle. Esepecially if you will do long rides. You butt will love for it. Just make sure you apply some butt butter to avoid chaffing. GOOD LUCK
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    If you haven't picked up the message yet, BUY CYCLING SHORTS! They will transform your riding. It doesn't matter if you by road bike shorts and cover them with gym shorts (I do it) or wear Mountain Bike shorts. You will be able to go further and faster for longer because you will be more comfortable. Good ones are worth every penny. Also, the only ones that are see-thru are worn out ones, or ones made out of cheap materials.
    Your butt will thank you.

ETA: Nice Bike!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    If you haven't picked up the message yet, BUY CYCLING SHORTS! They will transform your riding. It doesn't matter if you by road bike shorts and cover them with gym shorts (I do it) or wear Mountain Bike shorts. You will be able to go further and faster for longer because you will be more comfortable. Good ones are worth every penny. Also, the only ones that are see-thru are worn out ones, or ones made out of cheap materials.
    Your butt will thank you.

Thank you. I was beginning to think I take cycling too seriously.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    At one point I was like you, SPANDEX !!!! NOO WAY !!!! Eventually, after swallowing my pride and giving them a try I will not wear anything else when cycle. Esepecially if you will do long rides. You butt will love for it. Just make sure you apply some butt butter to avoid chaffing. GOOD LUCK

+1
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer padded shorts, others are fine w/o. Either way, DON"T USE A MAXI PAD as a substitute. The chamois in bike shorts is intended to add extra padding between your "sit bones" and your saddle. If you are riding for an extended period of time, you will eventually get sore. It really helps keep you comfortable and on your bike. There is nothing like not being comfortable to make you not want to ride. There are all types of fun stuff created to alleviate any possible discomforts associated with bicycling.
    If you've ever had the pleasure of wearing a skirt in muggy weather and your thighs rub together with everystep, you know how great that feels. That can happen on long rides too. They also market a skin lubricant for those areas to further decrease friction. When sweat evaporates, it leaves a salty residue on your skin. Salt crystals + friction on delicate skin = saddle sores.
    Don't get scared of all this information, but as you begin to ride more, you may encounter some of these hurdles. Congratulations on your new bike. I hope you stick with it and fall in love with cycling.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Another voice added to :buy the shorts!

The Clydes and Athenas section of Bikeforums.net is full of pretty much the same thing: people feeling self-conscious or silly contemplating our raiment of choice (e.g. close fitting clothing). But, as people start riding further or longer it becomes "painfully" (see what I did there?) apparent that there's a method to our madness.

Most Clydes or Athenas probably feel more comfortable in the MTB style of dress but even then it's all just unnecessary bulk if not actually int the woods for hours on end.