SO Discouraged .need support and encouragement! AAHHH!

Options
So .... 5 years ago I would have been able to drop 15lbs with no problem.. 2 kids and several grey hairs later ... mmm' not so much! It's at the point where I want to give up. I never used to be an emotional eater, but I find that I do that from time to time. was busting my *kitten* for months at the gym 4-5 days a week, eating great (fruits, LOTS of veggies, good proteins, whole grains, fiber, no processed crap or red meat) but nothing was coming off... WTF MAN?!?!? I know what I need to do, I just can't seem to get there. I need to step it up a lot. This past month has sucked. Barely at the gym, tons of kid activities, work.. blaa blaa blaa.. same things as everyone.. I need a drill sergeant ... a good motivator. That is a major thing I am lacking.. a support system. Help.. anyone that can get into my brain to help me get there... feel free to hop in!!

Replies

• elmoreca
    elmoreca Posts: 3
    Options
    A good support system is so important! I have have become a MFP believer. I went five weeks straight without losing a pound but eventually my determination beat my body's refusal to play along. Now 26lbs later I am still fighting the good fight and have a long way yet to go. Feel free to add me and I will cheer you on! :)
  • Miss_Jevious
    Options
    Yup, support is important! I notice that I do so much better at going to the gym and eating right when I have people who are encouraging! Feel free to add me :)
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It took me 2 months before I started to see any results. I love MFP, I've got the support system that I never had.

Feel free to add me :-)
  • sharoncasey60
    sharoncasey60 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot to admit you need help. God bless you! :) Especially a guy :) As you see, I have lost no weight and am also disc ouraged but if you read these posts they are extremely motivational. I can't believe some of the success stories. I have a problem with bingeing also but am trying hard to make some "rules" about that. (only 1 serving of anything, etc.) Make your own rules as this is what this is all about...................what works for you! Keep the faith and keep on.....it works!
  • seamstar
    seamstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me! it seems like i lose 1 gain 1. we can figure this out together!
  • ablanchard7
    ablanchard7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i find that i am my own worst enemy!!! if i have a bad day i automatically assume i am doomed!!! but you knmow what? we cannot change years of horrible eating habits and weight gain over night.. it takes work. and A LOT of patience. it takes dedication and it takes FOCUS. you will get there. your body will catch up! the best thing you can do for yourself is NOT GIVE UP. tomorrow is ALWAYS a new day to redeem yourself... if the only thing you did right one day was have INTENTIONS of eating better and you did for breakfast but screwed up the rest of the day.. its progress!!! you got this!! i have been struggling so much lately myself and i keep telling myself, only i can do this. i cant give up. i have to keep moving forward.. so this is what i am doing. even when i get discouraged. like you i need support.. it helps. my fiance thankfully does this with me and I count his food for him and make his dinners so this helps.. but the trouble I have is the weekends. i just cant seem to stay on track.. and than i am working off what i gained the following week!! but I focus.. and i dont give up. ever! all of my efforts will one day pay off and yours will too!!! keep the faith :)
  • igobronco
    igobronco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well if you are eating right and excersicing(sp) and the weight is not coming off you may want to have some blood tests done to make sure your thyroid is working properly. I know it sounds funny but I am working on getting my thyroid regulated and really adding in the activity portion. I have never been big on going to the gym. I would be happy to be support! It is very hard to stop emotional eating but it can be done. I gained a lot that way and more from medications. WE CAN DO IT!!!
  • PoohAA
    PoohAA Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Likewise, and everyone should add me too :)
    I don't anticipate losing *weight* any time soon, but I ought to be losing fat and gaining muscle. I'm getting myself back into what I've done in the past to lose weight (which worked): Running, lifting, and most importantly, discipline. I've gotten off track several times, but hopefully this time I'll make better progress before I inevitably get sidetracked again. I actually hope not to get sidetracked, but it probably will happen... hopefully not for a few years ;)
    Congrats to those of you who have made great progress thus far, and best wishes to everyone.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is going to be a great tool for you. You already have an understanding of what is needed and now you just need some accountability and support. The way you said "I need to step it up" resonated with me because that's how I was feeling when I joined in May.

Like you, I started with going to the gym a year ago and tried to "exercise my way out of it," something that had worked for me in my 20s. I started at 217 and lost 17 lbs., but it took me 10 months. Along the way, I switched over to eating healthy ( no soda, lots of veggies/fruits and whole grains), but I just wasn't losing fast enough. At that rate, it was going to take me 3 more years to get to my goal weight of 149.

I joined MFP in May, and have since lost 10 lbs in the last 2 months. So my rate of loss has increased from 1.7 lbs per month to 5 lbs. per month.

The tracking has really helped. So far I've learned:
    - Yeah I was eating salads, but I was using way too much dressing
    - I need a lot more protein to make the workouts effective
    - I was using too much butter and olive oil
    - i'm just as satisfied with a 750 calorie "cheat" overage as a 1500 calorie "cheat"
    - there are crap load of calories in fruit so while it might be good for me, i need much smaller quantities than I was eating
    - my portion size of cereal was waaaaay off. And that adds up in calories even if the cereal is Fiber 1 or Kashi Go Lean.
    - fiber bars, protein bars and string cheese are all good for you, but not if you eat multiple each day
    - I need a lot fewer calories now as I am in my 40s than I needed in my 20s

Also, I didn't get any MFP friends until the last couple weeks ago because I was just using the mobile app and not the site. I'm glad I've started using the friends feature because so far i think I've been cheating less and skipping fewer gym days now as I know people are reading my log.

From one "step it up" person to another, welcome. MFP is a great way to figure out what works for you and stay on track.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is going to be a great tool for you. You already have an understanding of what is needed and now you just need some accountability and support. The way you said "I need to step it up" resonated with me because that's how I was feeling when I joined in May.

Like you, I started with going to the gym a year ago and tried to "exercise my way out of it," something that had worked for me in my 20s. I started at 217 and lost 17 lbs., but it took me 10 months. Along the way, I switched over to eating healthy ( no soda, lots of veggies/fruits and whole grains), but I just wasn't losing fast enough. At that rate, it was going to take me 3 more years to get to my goal weight of 149.

I joined MFP in May, and have since lost 10 lbs in the last 2 months. So my rate of loss has increased from 1.7 lbs per month to 5 lbs. per month.

The tracking has really helped. So far I've learned:
    - Yeah I was eating salads, but I was using way too much dressing
    - I need a lot more protein to make the workouts effective
    - I was using too much butter and olive oil
    - i'm just as satisfied with a 750 calorie "cheat" overage as a 1500 calorie "cheat"
    - there are crap load of calories in fruit so while it might be good for me, i need much smaller quantities than I was eating
    - my portion size of cereal was waaaaay off. And that adds up in calories even if the cereal is Fiber 1 or Kashi Go Lean.
    - fiber bars, protein bars and string cheese are all good for you, but not if you eat multiple each day
    - I need a lot fewer calories now as I am in my 40s than I needed in my 20s

Also, I didn't get any MFP friends until the last couple weeks ago because I was just using the mobile app and not the site. I'm glad I've started using the friends feature because so far i think I've been cheating less and skipping fewer gym days now as I know people are reading my log.

From one "step it up" person to another, welcome. MFP is a great way to figure out what works for you and stay on track.

Great job on the weight loss and key hints to lose weight
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    So .... 5 years ago I would have been able to drop 15lbs with no problem.. 2 kids and several grey hairs later ... mmm' not so much! It's at the point where I want to give up. I never used to be an emotional eater, but I find that I do that from time to time. was busting my *kitten* for months at the gym 4-5 days a week, eating great (fruits, LOTS of veggies, good proteins, whole grains, fiber, no processed crap or red meat) but nothing was coming off... WTF MAN?!?!? I know what I need to do, I just can't seem to get there. I need to step it up a lot. This past month has sucked. Barely at the gym, tons of kid activities, work.. blaa blaa blaa.. same things as everyone.. I need a drill sergeant ... a good motivator. That is a major thing I am lacking.. a support system. Help.. anyone that can get into my brain to help me get there... feel free to hop in!!

• dietfun1
    dietfun1 Posts: 1
    Options
    HI everyone,
    I am a 44 year old teacher trying to shed those 30 pounds that creeped on over the past 5 years. A couple of bad relationships, a death and getting older and this is what you get.

Here is my advice... I, too, am now at the gym 4 times a week with no real weigh loss on the scale. I can tell I'm toning up though. I have looked around and have wondered if the other people at the gym are having the same "stagnation".

Here is my thought.... reduce your caloric intake by 100 calories on the days you don't go to the gym - kind of an incentive to get yourself to the gym....

Next.... flush your system.... Double your water intake.... add herbal tea to your daily intake....flush..flush...flush.

Last... find a pair of pants or shorts that DO NOT FIT... try them on every day FIRST THING.... remind yourself that no matter what or how long it takes ...you have a goal.... and no one should have all those clothes that don't fit hanging around in your closet. Restrict yourself...don't buy anything new for a few months..... see if you can fit into what you have.

Have a great day!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Frustrating for sure! One thing I'd suggest to you or anyone else: if what you're doing isn't working, try another approach. Different things work for different people. I found a workable way to eat healthy by reading and trying different theories.
  • kcsgirl24
    kcsgirl24 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had my husband take pictures of me wearing a tank and a pair of daisy dukes and then I printed them off and wrote my top 5 reasons for pushing myself and sticking to a plan. I have had a lot of trouble with my weight in the past 3 years and even though I kept wanting to do something about it, I didn't, or I'd do it for a few days and stop. But now, I wake up before my son, look at the horrible pictures of me, read my reasons to remind myself that I don't want to cry everytime I get dressed and that I can change that, and I make myself go. Its been working so far, and its the best motivator. I hate looking at those pictures!!! Good luck, add me if you'd like, I'm a little friendless on here lol...
  • ThinMeant1205
    Options
    You got this, eight ball in the corner pocket. When I don't feel like working out, I tell myself, just ten minutes-that's all I am doing. I actually woundup doing more than 10 minutes. If you're married, let your spouse know that you need his or her support. My husband will walk with me from time to time- he's not always up for it, but any little bit helps. If anyone needs encouragement, I am here. I will do my best to support you, I will even keep you in prayer. I wish you all the best on your weightloss journey-One the to remember, I know we need help, but ultimately it is going to be up to you to succeed~!

I also heard that it takes 1 month for you to feel better and feel the dif, but it takes 2 months for others to notice the difference.

You got this~!

ThinMeant1205
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Add me if you need help!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    One of my friends posted this in my group:

Imagine someone walks up a hundred steps but feels a bit tired, so they stop and step back down one step. They tell you bitterly: “Now I may as well forget this whole idea of reaching the top! I’ve totally blown it!”
    What?! You’d think that was crazy, right? Acting as if all that progress, the 99 steps they did climb, never happened – because they had one slip! But people do this all the time when it comes to weight loss.
    You lose weight, maybe four or five pounds, maybe much more. But you slip, have a bad day or a ‘weak moment’, and eat something you shouldn’t have. And what do you tell yourself? “I’ve completely blown it! Now I might as well really binge!”
    Beware the perfectionism trap. Aim to eat sensibly and healthily most of the time, not all the time. We all consume more than we should of the wrong kind of food or drink now and then.
    Everyone’s weight fluctuates a bit and you should prepare for this (once you’ve reached a healthy weight). Have a ‘sliding scale’ in your mind of a couple of pounds on either side of your target weight.
  • dietanderson
    Options
    Dont worry about the weight loss numbers! MFPers are a little obsessive with them. For me, its all about changing my lifestyle and feeling good. Focus on that.

One day at a time......