Getting too obsessed with counting calories?

Options
I'm worried lately that I'm getting too obsessed with counting calories, because of this site...like, if I don't know how many calories are in something, or I know it's not in the database, I just WON'T eat it. I still make my daily calories and macros and all that, but it's getting to the point where I'm really scared to eat anything at all that I didn't make myself. For instance, I'm perfectly fine with eating 1 or even 2 of my own homemade brownies, because I know exactly how many cals there are, but if someone were to offer me a piece of brownie, even just 1 bite, I just couldn't do it because I wouldn't know the numbers. Is there anyone else like this? And what do I do about it?

Replies

• HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    I KNOW HOW U FEEL BCZ IM DA SAME WAY
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about 30 days now working on my cut. I feel the same way in regards to counting calories and making sure my macros are within the range I set. I am strict. However, I have been getting great results. I also know that I am not like this year round. I always cut in the summer and bulk in the winter. Once you reach your goal, and you want to maintain your weight - things can loosen up.
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about 30 days now working on my cut. I feel the same way in regards to counting calories and making sure my macros are within the range I set. I am strict. However, I have been getting great results. I also know that I am not like this year round. I always cut in the summer and bulk in the winter. Once you reach your goal, and you want to maintain your weight - things can loosen up.

Well that's just the thing...I technically have reached my goal, but I'm still not happy so I've lowered it again...but I'm worried I still won't be happy then. Not sure about switching to maintenance.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's good to try and be strickt with yourself, but don't fret about the odd thing that you didn't make.

The database is very good, and even if you don't know exactly what is in it, you will find something pretty close, and you could always do some extra exercise if you are worried.

Don't forget this is about life change, are you really never going to eat anything that you didn't make yourself again?

Probably not, so continue to make good choices as often as you can, and enjoy the odd treat, just make sure you keep it as an odd treat.
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    It's tricky not to get obsessed but remember it's all about making smart choices.
    If you take a brownie from a friend, it's likely that if it's a similar size that it won't add you an extra 100 calories + because of the ingredients that are generally found in them are the same.
    It's good to be in control but I would say to you that as long as you make smart choices and don't over indulge you will be fine. If you eat 13 more calories a day than your amount on one day - this won't hurt you! It's doing it every day which is the problem!

Without becoming obsessed just avoid sauces and dressings as trhese hide calories, whilst out for dinner and just avoid that brownie if you're worried! (I can't believe you can get away with eating a brownie - lucky you!)

Good luck and try to make small choices without counting every ast gram!! xx
  • matty182
    matty182 Posts: 6
    Options
    im always on here counting my calories for everything i eat!!
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In a way I am, I get annoyed when I can't find something in the database but on the other hand I have lost weight. I'm losing it slowly sometimes a little, sometimes a lot but I am losing it.
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's tricky not to get obsessed but remember it's all about making smart choices.
    If you take a brownie from a friend, it's likely that if it's a similar size that it won't add you an extra 100 calories + because of the ingredients that are generally found in them are the same.
    It's good to be in control but I would say to you that as long as you make smart choices and don't over indulge you will be fine. If you eat 13 more calories a day than your amount on one day - this won't hurt you! It's doing it every day which is the problem!

Without becoming obsessed just avoid sauces and dressings as trhese hide calories, whilst out for dinner and just avoid that brownie if you're worried! (I can't believe you can get away with eating a brownie - lucky you!)

Good luck and try to make small choices without counting every ast gram!! xx

Haha I can only get away with eating "brownies" because they're home-made...mostly tofu, and applesauce instead of any oil...they're also really small haha so about 60 cals each. I don't think anyone else but me would touch them haha, but I can trick myself into thinking they're proper brownies...which is what matters :P
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. are you trying to see results in some sort of physical attribute? Or are you looking for a # on the scale? I'm personally trying to get a 6 pack that I've never had. I set my goal weight which I am still working at but may have to lower it again as well. One can not diet forever. You will have to maintain sooner or later. If you are eating healthy and feel good, I would not worry too much yet. Recognizing a threat is the first step towards preventing It. Good luck.
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda that way. I only eat one serving of something and if I eat more then that I freak out, like omg I ate too much of that! As for something not being in the database, I find something that's kinda the same and use it. Something's I avoid but not a whole lot. My boyfriend, MIL and SIL kinda look at me funny when im sitting there counting out my shredded wheat. But it's something that I do automatically anymore, with everything. I guess I'm addicted to it now.