Any swimmers?

Options
Ok so I just joined a gym 2 weeks ago but I've been mostly swimming for my workouts. I go 5-6 days a week and swim every day, and also do a water aerobics class 3 times a week. Being in the pool and chlorine every day has definitely had an effect on my skin and hair :( Can anyone recommend a good shampoo/conditioner for people who swim a lot? Also is there any lotion or anything like that that might help my skin? I try to rinse off or shower after swimming, and sometimes I sit in the steam room for 5-10 minutes, which I do think helps some with my skin. And another question for people who swim as exercise (not necessarily hardcore swimmers) do you wear pool shoes? Several of the ladies in my class wear shoes and I am thinking of getting some for the class, and they would also probably help for my feet to not be so dry. But what about if you're just swimming, do you wear shoes or do they "weigh you down" too much?

Replies

• JamieAlexandraX
    JamieAlexandraX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Im not to sure about the shampoo or anything for your skin but you can get these little swimming socks that will be lighter but will have the same effect as shoes and keeping verucas and other nasty stuff at bay and will probs be lighter than wearing shoes.
    http://www.newitts.com/product/EE-190/Splashappy_Swim_Socks.htm

If your hair is becoming dry maybe you could get a heat pack for your hair it should help condition it.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I never remember to do this, but my girls swim daily and I've read that if you shower/wet your hair before getting into the pool it helps prevent the chlorinated water from soaking it since the hair is already wet. Some girls put a light very watered down conditioner on their hair before swimming, too.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    yep, drench your hair before you get in (you can get hair masks as well to put through it, not sure where you live but in the UK they sell it in Boots - it's called sun swim and gym) I always wear a swimming hat too.

For your skin you can use a barrier cream like vasaline, put it on any places that are getting dry before you get in the pool and the water won't be able to get at your skin!

I just wear flip flops and leave them by the side of the pool

good luck!
  • Byemma
    Byemma Posts: 55
    Options
    I joined the swim team in high school. I always wore a swimcap, my hair wouldn't get very wet. I always washed my hair afterwards and I used conditioner, but just left it in longer than 2 minutes. I used conditioner from herballeaf or something? I also bought a huge bottle of vaseline body lotion that I used to treat my legs. Those were very dry too.
  • njgal35
    njgal35 Posts: 28
    Options
    i swim every other day and wearing a swim cap really helps.

I use Aveda Sun Care Hair and Body Cleanser that says it removes chlorine, salt and product build-up.

If you use conditioner or hair oil before you swim it helps too
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I only ever wear swim shoes with a wetsuit, but they weigh virtually nothing. For your hair a daily does of Argan oil will help keep it soft and smooth. It can be used on damp hair as a treatment or on dry hair as a smoothing serum.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Always shower & wet hair before you get in (it's just manners!)
    Use a hat so you do not swish your hair around in the chlorine (I really must get a new one!!)
    Use a shampoo that removes the chlorine from your hair. Most hairdressers have them but they tend to be expensive. Do not need to use a lot but they are worth it for the good condition they keep your hair in. Don't just use something you get from the chemist!
    Scrub your skin with a flannel or other type of wash cloth to clean it properly.
    Use a pumice stone on the bottom of your feet on the shower every time. When else are they that soft & receptive!?!?
    After showering, apply baby oil to your skin before allowing the skin to dry.
    I use a really cheap face cream as it's so nice & thick on dry areas like feet & elbows after I have put it on my face.
    Been swimming now for over 10 years & works for me!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I swim laps for about 45 minutes 2-3x a week. My routine is to rinse head to toe in the shower, apply sunscreen (outdoor pool). I use a swim cap. That has made a huge difference for my hair. I didn't for most of my training last year and my hair got so gross even with washing daily. After swim, I use a Suave 2in1 shampoo, use the soap in the shower to wash off pool water and sunscreen. After I dry off my skin is usually still damp which is a good time to apply body lotion to lock in moisture.
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always shower fully before and after. I'm currently goinmg around 5 times a week, for between 30 & 60 mins a session.

In addition the pool I use is part of a Spa, so 10 minutes in the steam room after swimming helps to remove the chemicals.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well I swim in a lake so of course I use a lot of after sun aloe gel on my skin. I think even lake water is hard on your hair though so I condition mine twice a day lately. First in the morning when I shower and shampoo then I take a quick bath (mostly for sore muscles) at night and put some more conditioner in my hair then too without shampooing. Also use leave in detangling stuff. It's really fine and soft so I have to be careful with it.