I've decided

Options

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Oh and what's snow? :laugh:

Alicia, this is a family website, please don't use the four letter word here!

HAHA good one banks... good one...
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What about Denver? It's great here. People think it's cold and snowy. I'm not going to lie and tell you we don't get snow or cold temps but overall it's beautiful. The sun shines almost every day and if it does snow it's gone within hours. Even if we get lots of snow it melts within a few days.

I have done 4 marathons, 3 of them required training through the winter. I've done training runs in December in shorts. We had a nasty cold spell last week (I think it's going through the midwest now) but this week has been in the 50's and sunny! It's great.

There is so much to do you won't get bored and the open space and bike paths will spoil you rotten.

I think there quite a few IT jobs here too! The job market isn't as bad here as it is in other places.
  • poeticjustice_2001
    Options
    Since when is New England a state ? hahaha

Come down to Virginia, Steve! you can be my new workout buddy :)

Actually , hold on that, I've decided I want to try the west coast myself...

286730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's true things cost more in Silicon Valley but salaries are higher too. I haven't regretted moving here 15 years ago.
  • rheign
    rheign Posts: 56
    Options
    Phoenix is fabulous. Plenty of Senior IT positions, weather is beautiful and we don't have that white stuff all over the place that makes your little guy shrivel, lol. Houses are wonderfully priced atm and the cost of living is reasonable. As long as you don't mind 115 degree days in May and June, no worries! Come on out, you'll be glad ya did. ;P
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm working right next door to Computer Sciences Corporation as I type. But then, I'm in that triangle Carolina. And, although it's pretty here, I can't recommend this part of the state (Columbia). Greenville, on the other hand, is good stuff. So, I recommend checking out Greenville, SC. Beautiful, about as morally liberal as SC gets (which isn't very at all), and has a very moderate climate. Oh, and lots of IT jobs.

that's true, there are a lot of IT jobs there. Morally liberal sounds interesting in a scary sort of way. I've been through the area before, a little devoid of stuff isn't it? I mean, is there a lot to do?
    I guess it depends on what you like to do. There's much more "culture" in Greenville than where I am now (I grew up in Spartanburg which is about 20 minutes from Greenville) even though I'm in a bigger city. Also, there are tons of outdoor activities -- you're a 20 minute drive from mountains (hiking, kayaking, mountain biking) and about 2.5 hours from the ocean which can easily mean a day trip either way. There's a nice nightlife. As much as you can expect in a relatively small city. You're just a couple hours away from Atlanta and Charlotte, and less than an hour away from Asheville. It's just a really pretty area. Then again, that could all be relative and you'd think it's a big stinkhole. :laugh:

Edit to add: My boyfriend is in the same boat as far as "sr it" positions go here. He's way overqualified in terms of experience and intimidates the crap out of everyone who interviews him. He's starting his own business. You can do that anywhere. :smile:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    What about Denver? It's great here. People think it's cold and snowy. I'm not going to lie and tell you we don't get snow or cold temps but overall it's beautiful. The sun shines almost every day and if it does snow it's gone within hours. Even if we get lots of snow it melts within a few days.

I have done 4 marathons, 3 of them required training through the winter. I've done training runs in December in shorts. We had a nasty cold spell last week (I think it's going through the midwest now) but this week has been in the 50's and sunny! It's great.

There is so much to do you won't get bored and the open space and bike paths will spoil you rotten.

I think there quite a few IT jobs here too! The job market isn't as bad here as it is in other places.

Shhhh! We want to keep that a secret, don't we? Don't let the world know how great we've got it here! Let them keep thinking its a frozen wasteland here! :wink:
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You know...I live in Western Canada and it was -35 here last week..so I am not really feeling your pain.

I'm in North eastern BC.... I cant bring myself to feel your pain either! (but maybe that's because of the frostbite and now I am unable to feel anything at all...hehe) I'm loving the balmy -9C (15F) weather outside right now... just about ready to put the parka away and pull out the shorts and tanks!
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hey the housing prices here in Northern Cal have dropped drastically. If you search just outside the SanJose area you can find affordable housing with not to much of a commute. Try look at areas North of Silicon Valley or look abit South like the Gilroy area California is a wonderful Place to call home :)
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Phoenix is fabulous. Plenty of Senior IT positions, weather is beautiful and we don't have that white stuff all over the place that makes your little guy shrivel, lol. Houses are wonderfully priced atm and the cost of living is reasonable. As long as you don't mind 115 degree days in May and June, no worries! Come on out, you'll be glad ya did. ;P

I agree with you. Phoenix IS fabulous for 9 mos of the year. And just head to the mountains the other 3 mos. That's what I want to do! Maybe next year.....
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You know...I live in Western Canada and it was -35 here last week..so I am not really feeling your pain.

I'm in North eastern BC.... I cant bring myself to feel your pain either! (but maybe that's because of the frostbite and now I am unable to feel anything at all...hehe) I'm loving the balmy -9C (15F) weather outside right now... just about ready to put the parka away and pull out the shorts and tanks!

Like I would move to a country that I blame all the world's wrong doings on. LOL!

and ahh, being below zero doesn't make the rest of us warm, it just makes all you people crazier!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing if I want something to do I go to Atlanta.

But the good thing is I hopped off the treadmill and went to the mailbox in my shorts:wink:
    I'm working right next door to Computer Sciences Corporation as I type. But then, I'm in that triangle Carolina. And, although it's pretty here, I can't recommend this part of the state (Columbia). Greenville, on the other hand, is good stuff. So, I recommend checking out Greenville, SC. Beautiful, about as morally liberal as SC gets (which isn't very at all), and has a very moderate climate. Oh, and lots of IT jobs.

that's true, there are a lot of IT jobs there. Morally liberal sounds interesting in a scary sort of way. I've been through the area before, a little devoid of stuff isn't it? I mean, is there a lot to do?
    I guess it depends on what you like to do. There's much more "culture" in Greenville than where I am now (I grew up in Spartanburg which is about 20 minutes from Greenville) even though I'm in a bigger city. Also, there are tons of outdoor activities -- you're a 20 minute drive from mountains (hiking, kayaking, mountain biking) and about 2.5 hours from the ocean which can easily mean a day trip either way. There's a nice nightlife. As much as you can expect in a relatively small city. You're just a couple hours away from Atlanta and Charlotte, and less than an hour away from Asheville. It's just a really pretty area. Then again, that could all be relative and you'd think it's a big stinkhole. :laugh:

Edit to add: My boyfriend is in the same boat as far as "sr it" positions go here. He's way overqualified in terms of experience and intimidates the crap out of everyone who interviews him. He's starting his own business. You can do that anywhere. :smile:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i read this post and completely understood your feelings.
    i live in the SNOW BELT of OHIO. i swear its the worst place ever. the word *snow* is like a swear word in my household, even though most of the people around here live for it. i see a car accident pretty much every day that it snows. that does not seem very fun to me.

i'm not quite to the stage in my life where i can choose where i live, but as soon as i get there, i'm high-tailing my a** out of ohio and headed straight south.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    hehe - if you are tired of NE, you should give Montreal a try! NE will feel subtropical! Today we had a high of 6*F! Tonight will be -5*F!!

Steve - have you looked into LaJolla? Lots of IT/Biotech out there :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    ummm... watching the news and scratch that - they are reporting -22F/-30Celcius tonight, not factoring in the windchill.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'm going to do the Cocktail thing. I'm opening a grass skirt bar on some island! Screw this nastyness.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Shhhh! We want to keep that a secret, don't we? Don't let the world know how great we've got it here! Let them keep thinking its a frozen wasteland here! :wink:

You're right! Scratch everything I said! Denver sucks! Tons of snow and nothing to do.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, Senior IT jobs in florida are a bit like polar bears in Brazil. Not very common. And believe me, I've looked!

Always South Louisiana, we have good food, and the temps only get into freezing a handful of times a winter. Unless you don't like the heat, it does get hot as hell here!

Louisiana...it's not the heat, it's the soul-sucking humidity! I spent a week there and didn't want to leave my friend's air conditioned apartment.

New Brunswick, Canada...that's where you wanna be. That is if you can get used to 2 sweltering hot days of summer and 363 days of winter.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,694 Member
    Options
    I give big thumbs up to Portland or Seattle. I love the Northwest, although wintering in Vegas sounds pretty appealing sometimes.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I know. Walking around New Haven, CT today was like walking in an ice cold wind tunne! :grumble: I think I was airborne for a minute!! :huh: