Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not working hard enough?

2»

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Also, if you are doing the same thing every time, that can be problematic. You want to switch it up a lot. Break up your weight training days and cardio days. And, always do different things, don't just go in and always do the same thing. If your gym offers classes, take them sometimes on your cardio days. Yoga can be counted as cardio, and it's great stretching and strength too. I'm not saying it is a cardio exercise, I am saying that you can replace it sometimes for cardio. It's great. Run some days. Bike on other days. Variety is key. Keep created confusion for your body so it doesn't get used to the same thing over and over.
  • brisbaneangie
    brisbaneangie Posts: 12 Member
    100 % agree with variety. When I am not losing and its not due to my food I usually look back and realise i've been doing the same old thing. Change is challenge, and challenge pays off!

• Out or curiosity, what cardio do you do? If you upped the intensity you may find a budge on the scales. Have you experimented with HIIT/ Tabata training? Pick a cardio move, such as squat jumps, and do 8 sets of 20 seconds @100% effort and 10 seconds recovery (total 4 min). I have been trying to do these as much as possible, really pushes your limit and helps enhance your stamina. I also find it helps me break out of a plateau when i alternate between running and Tabata's. Try to build up the # of sets you do, I have never been able to manage more than 3-4 but hopefully I can break that soon!

Good luck and feel proud of your accomplishments so far, you're amazing!

i do 40-60 mins of incline walking on a speed of 6-6.2 and starting incline of minimum 3 and going up in stages to maximum 12 so its pretty hard going and my stamina amazingly is really increasing by leaps. i practically crawl out of the gym some days lol
  • thanks for the advice everyone im off to buy some nuts and things and im going to try upping my calories and see if it helps. Much love :D
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    After reviewing your diary for July, it's clear you are not eating enough calories. Your target is 1200 calories which is a recommend minimum; anything less and you are starving. On your exercise days you are not eating back those burned calories and you're body is starving for fuel. Many days you are 400-700 calories under what your body needs.

If you have to lose 2 stone, are you sure you entered your information and activity level correctly? 1200 calories seems a little low. Go to the Eat More to Weigh Less group here on MFP and read the threads on TDEE and BMR, reset your goals and enjoy your success.
  • Angebartle
    Angebartle Posts: 10 Member
    What are you doing for your weight training? Two hours at the gym may be a little too much if you are not refueling your body after an hour. I was told ( and I would love some feedback to see if it is right) that if you do it right 1 hour at the gym is plenty. I was told heavier weights with shorter reps with minmal breaks ( like don't stand around for 5 mins before every set) that way you get out of the gym faster. Do you do total body workouts when you are there? or are you focusing on one body part each visit?

i do 90 seconds between sets and most of my sets are at only 8 reps on the heaviest i can manage. I alternate doing legs and abs one day and shoulders arms and back the next. Usually i go home and eat a snack (mostly greek yoghurt for protein) and then an hours cardio (15 mins before weight training, 45 mins after)

I'm not sure how your day shapes up but try doing cardio or weights early in the am then do the other later on in the PM. It may give your body a bit of a rest. I have a friend that is a health nut and built like crazy, she does one or the other in the morning and then goes back after dinner. If she is pressed for time in the day she does it all under an hour. And make sure you give your body time to rest.
  • hulda2002
    hulda2002 Posts: 5
    What are you doing for your weight training? Two hours at the gym may be a little too much if you are not refueling your body after an hour. I was told ( and I would love some feedback to see if it is right) that if you do it right 1 hour at the gym is plenty. I was told heavier weights with shorter reps with minmal breaks ( like don't stand around for 5 mins before every set) that way you get out of the gym faster. Do you do total body workouts when you are there? or are you focusing on one body part each visit?

i do 90 seconds between sets and most of my sets are at only 8 reps on the heaviest i can manage. I alternate doing legs and abs one day and shoulders arms and back the next. Usually i go home and eat a snack (mostly greek yoghurt for protein) and then an hours cardio (15 mins before weight training, 45 mins after)

Try doing 12-15 even 15-20 reps for fatburn instead of 8 reps... if you do 6-8 reps with heavy weights then your likely adding muscle instead of burning fat
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Hi! First of all...keep up the good work! :smile:

For me (and everyone is different ...I'm certainly not a professional) raising my calories to about 1500 and getting them all in helped give me a boost. I didn't seem to be getting enough in to support my workout. Also, I would suggest a protein shake after your workout. I use Myofusion or Pro7 (found at NutriShop and maybe GNC). It helps repair muscles after a workout and build lean mass.

Good luck to you!