Spicy Foods

Options
vlynnvale
vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
Can't get enough of them! To me, anything and everything is great with some Siracha, but things like that are killing my sodium intake. It's always close to being over the recommended amount if not right under it.

Anyone else have the same spice obsession? Is there a healthier way?

Or should I just sign up for Hot Sauce Anonymous? :embarassed:

Replies

• mikejacobs1958
    Options
    I am with you, all the way there !
    The hotter the better !

I even remember in my drunken state many many years ago, drinking a small bottle of Tabasco sauce in a pub, for a free round !
    That's why my brain is so frizzled !!!!!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I have one bottle of Sriracha at home, and one at my job. To me that's the best hot sauce!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of Thai chili garlic sauce...but I try to use it in moderation because of the sodium. For a lower-salt spice fix, I head to our local European-style market (anywhere with a good produce section will do) and grab a handful of either the teeny tiny Thai chile peppers or larger cayennes. Both add a great kick when chopped up and added to food while it's cooking, but they also dry *really* well to keep long-term - just use a needle and thread to pull a string through the base of the pepper's stem, stringing as many peppers as you like into a garland, hang in a sunny window, and wait until they're shriveled and dry. Then twist off a pepper from the string, chop it up, and chuck it in whatever you're cooking (chili, stir-fry, scrambled eggs...). Pure chile pepper heaven :bigsmile:
  • vlynnvale
    Options
    Ohh, great idea - thanks!!
  • vlynnvale
    Options
    Ps. Glad I am not alone in the spicy world!
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Nope you are not alone! Love spicy foods. I unfortunately limit my hot sauces because of the sodium content. :( Booo...
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Although I consider Tabasco an all-purpose gourmet sauce, the salt makes it a no no. Instead I used roasted Hatch green chile or dried New Mexico red chile pods (prepared) almost daily. I make my own pica de gallo, salsas and sauces and keep some in the fridge all the time. Hotter is better but not if it sends your blood pressure screaming through the roof.
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    Somehow, and I don't know why, but when I eat spicy foods, I can't stop eating and even after I have consumed what ever is in front of me I need to scrounge around for something - anything else to eat. That's why I can't buy the spicy V8 that I love. I would drink the whole bottle in one day and maybe check the grocery receipt to see if possibly I bought another one! :love:
  • vlynnvale
    Options
    Hotter is better but not if it sends your blood pressure screaming through the roof.

Good point. Noted!

I've never tried Spicy V8, but I just looked it up and the low sodium version only has 140 mg of sodium. I may need to throw this on the grocery list next week.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yum, love spice! My favourite meal ever has got to be tofu and veg stirfried with tiny, potent chilis and thai basil. Mmm, so delicious.

Hot sauces are yummy (I like the Nandos super hot one or, for less heat, Cholula) but when I don't want the salt in my meal I just opt for a fresh chilli or some dried cayenne.
  • vlynnvale
    Options
    Ahhh, that stir fry sounds so good!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I'm with you too. Hot sauce anon....

I would drink hot sauce. I hide a bottle of it at my desk.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Love spicy food! :D
    I use dried chilli flakes or fresh chillis, I only use hot sauce when I can spare the sodium :D
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Spice Central here, I love my tabasco and go through a ridiculous amount of Cayenne Pepper.

Spicy scrambled eggs bacon and cheese rock :)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use things that make Tabasco look and taste like water. I used to mix a certain one with ketchup for fries, a drop of that ketchup would be more than anyone around me could handle. Personally, I have a canister of 'Slap ya Mama hot' seasoning powder i put on a lot of things, like Pizza, and I think i will be taking the select reserves I pickup up last month to dinner where I will get a chicken sandwich. That place has some standard hot sauce, but I am tired of that pansy stuff.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love sriracha! I'm not giving it up LOL

And cholula. Tasty :)
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    I love spicy food as well, but I don't add ready made sauces all the time. I make very spicy indian curries from scratch with fresh thai green chilis, ginger, garlic and onion, tomato. This is the base items I start with and then add all dried indian masalas like red chili powder, garam masala, etc and then chick peas, kidney beans, chicken, hard boiled eggs, or anything else I want to cook in that curry...:)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Crushed red pepper and cayenne powder can create some pretty intensely spicy stuff with no impact in terms of sodium or calories.
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am always eating spicy foods, I cant live with out. I love the Econa Hot pepper sauce, but when cooking ill use finger chiles or jalapenos :D
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I love spicy food as well, but I don't add ready made sauces all the time. I make very spicy indian curries from scratch with fresh thai green chilis, ginger, garlic and onion, tomato. This is the base items I start with and then add all dried indian masalas like red chili powder, garam masala, etc and then chick peas, kidney beans, chicken, hard boiled eggs, or anything else I want to cook in that curry...:)

The issue for we with the ready made sauces is the added sugar, I much prefer to cook from scratch too.

Just reminded me, I have 2 fresh chillies almost ready to pick in the garden ... Yum ...